Old speakers' power rating

arkanoid

Oct 17, 2024
Visit site
Hi there,

I'm hoping that someone would help me decode the specs of my speakers.

For a very long time, I have had an old Panasonic SA-AK5 system.
The CD / Tape / Radio / Amp unit was repaired once around 10 years ago but it looks like the issue is back.

I'm thinking about keeping the speakers and buying a new amp.
However, I have an issue with determining how much actual rated power the speakers have.

The manual (and speaker stickers) says:
  • 100W (MUSIC)
  • 50W (DIN)
  • 6 Ohm (impedance)
  • 85dB / W (sound pressure level)
The amplifier specs are:
  • 2 x 30W - 1 kHz continuous power output both channels driven
  • 2 x 40W RMS

So what is the RMS for the speakers?
Is the MUSIC here the speakers' RMS?
Or is it peak power and the DIN rating value should be treated as RMS?

The amp wattage is also confusing since it looks like it's underpowered against the speakers.

Thanks!

Attachments

• SCR-20241017-skzm.png
    SCR-20241017-skzm.png
    406 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Gray

Yes, that's more like it.

But, if you're thinking of buying a new amp, I would seriously consider buying some different speakers as well.
(And I say that as someone that loves Panasonic as a brand).

Say how much you'd like to spend on both....or indeed whether you really wish to stick with your speakers.

Out of interest, what's the fault with the system (and what was the repair last time?)

landco

Aug 26, 2023
Visit site
:ROFLMAO:

Don't fill your head with unnecessary thoughts. You have small speakers, which are not a problem for any amplifier, and the problem of "compatibility" of speakers and amplifier in home audio also does not exist. Therefore, buy any home audio amplifier and listen to music.

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
Hi, what kind if problem has your Panasonic system?
I have old experience with one Panasonic and one Technics mini systems. Their speakers were in sound quality far behind what was possible when systems were connected even with old Tesla 3 way speakers. JVC, Denon were producing well balanced systems with good speakers. Data regarding power output from amp or max power input on speakers is just infirmative. It does not say anything about sound quality. The best is to try some combination by yourself. BR.

arkanoid

Oct 17, 2024
Visit site
But, if you're thinking of buying a new amp, I would seriously consider buying some different speakers as well.
I don't really want to invest in that right now. Maybe I'll upgrade the speakers in the future. I know that ideally, it would be best to sonically pair the amp and speakers from the get-go, but I don't wanna dive into that rabbit hole for now.

Out of interest, what's the fault with the system (and what was the repair last time?)
F61 error then and now. I don't really remember but something was resoldered. It's not worth paying for that again.

Don't fill your head with unnecessary thoughts. You have small speakers, which are not a problem for any amplifier, and the problem of "compatibility" of speakers and amplifier in home audio also does not exist. Therefore, buy any home audio amplifier and listen to music.
How about you won't be condescending and rude?
The speakers are small but there are amps with small power. An underpowered amplifier can be a problem.

Last edited:

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
I'm not concerned about sound quality but about underpowered amp and clipping.
This is fairy tail. It is not about power only but efficiency (sensitivity). Good small amp need good speakers with higher sensitivity, lets say min 90dB for some small to mid room. Even 10 watt tube amp may produce room shaking sound but with speakers with snesitivity 96dB and more. For trial with your Panasonic, you may try some old Mission Coda or Wharfedal or Bowers@Wilkins DM 302 speakers or similar (bookshelfs, not floorstanders). It may sound quite good. These speakers are on the market for a few pounds.

twinkletoes

Hi there,

I'm hoping that someone would help me decode the specs of my speakers.

For a very long time, I have had an old Panasonic SA-AK5 system.
The CD / Tape / Radio / Amp unit was repaired once around 10 years ago but it looks like the issue is back.

I'm thinking about keeping the speakers and buying a new amp.
However, I have an issue with determining how much actual rated power the speakers have.

The manual (and speaker stickers) says:
  • 100W (MUSIC)
  • 50W (DIN)
The amplifier specs are:
  • 2 x 30W - 1 kHz continuous power output both channels driven
  • 2 x 40W RMS

So what is the RMS for the speakers?
Is the MUSIC here the speakers' RMS?

The amp wattage is also confusing since it looks like it's underpowered against the speakers.

Thanks!
HI there,

Well your going to have few problems unless you have few component lying around already to replace what the Panasonic SA-AK5 has on board. No?

The Pioneer A-307R (second hand) will run your current speakers fine but as mentioned wont have the functionality of your Panasonic. Or did you fancy something more modern?

Hope that helps a little

arkanoid

Oct 17, 2024
Visit site
This is fairy tail. It is not about power only but efficiency (sensitivity). Good small amp need good speakers with higher sensitivity, lets say min 90dB for some small to mid room. Even 10 watt tube amp may produce room shaking sound but with speakers with snesitivity 96dB and more. For trial with your Panasonic, you may try some old Mission Coda or Wharfedal or Bowers@Wilkins DM 302 speakers or similar (bookshelfs, not floorstanders). It may sound quite good. These speakers are on the market for a few pounds.
Might happen almost never with modern speakers, but that's not my case.

My speakers are only 85dB, so that's why I'm trying to determine their RMS.

Last edited:

arkanoid

Oct 17, 2024
Visit site
HI there,

Well your going to have few problems unless you have few component lying around already to replace what the Panasonic SA-AK5 has on board. No?

The Pioneer A-307R (second hand) will run your current speakers fine but as mentioned wont have the functionality of your Panasonic. Or did you fancy something more modern?

Hope that helps a little
I don't really care about the CD, tape or radio. A decent amp is what I'll be after.

As for this Pioneer - I'm looking rather for something new to avoid possible repairs, but thanks.

My best guess for an approximate RMS power handling, based on the ratings in the spec, would be 30-35 watts. Hence the original amplifier was about right. However, the maximum handling of a speaker isn’t a target to hit, any more than your family hatchback top speed of 115mph is a recommended cruising speed.

I take your point that an 85dB sensitivity, if accurate (which I doubt) is on the lower side, but the weight tells you how modest they are. There are plenty of amps in the 25 to 50 watt range that will work ok until you can afford to upgrade, and still deliver satisfactorily into better speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts