OLD SPEAKERS OHMS AND MODERN AMP WATTS

bubobubo

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
to make the history short i had get for free a old speaker from the end of the 70's and it say on the back of the speaker:

40 watt 4 ohm

now i have a 8 ohm 45 watt amp

so my question is can i use both them?

i dont know if the speaker mean maximun 40 watt in 8 ohms or maximun 40 watt in any omh or watt?

Regards

The old label almost certainly means maximum power recommended is 40watts and the nominal impedance is 4 ohms.

It would help to know which amp you have, but 45 watts into 8 ohms might give up to 90 watts into 4 ohms, so you would need to keep the volume below party levels (assuming the old speaker is undamaged).

Few modern amps balk at 4 ohms, but sone prefer no less than 6 or recommend care if running two pairs together.

I hope that helps.

bubobubo

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
thanks for the help i have a denon pma 520ae then i should keep music very low until i get some other speakers is sad because after litle research i found these old speakers are not so bad after all some sell it here in sweden in second hand or store homapeage for 200 punds and more *secret*

i going to keep these speakers safe they are like new i mean nothing wrong just dust i should clean them and someday i sure find some of these cheaps old receivers from secods store *biggrin*

If you are sensible, it should become obvious when any distortion is becoming noticeable. You might still get quite decent levels which may be plentry loud enough for normal listening, as long as you don't turn up the bass tone control.

The amp seems to be rated at 70 watts into 4 ohms.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Email denon customer support. They'll probably put you straight. It's possible your amp is fine, and you could still enjoy it at relatively loud levels.

Amps sometimes struggle with low ohm speakers. I had a marantz that used to cut out regularly with 6 ohm speakers, the sticker beside the speakers connection said 4-16 ohms so I thought amp was defective. Only when I read the small print in the manual where it said only use speakers 8 ohms or over and I replaced the speakers did the problem stop

bubobubo

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
i guess i blow it up over 40 watt everything was find the first halv hour but then i could not help to rise the volume not so much high but i guess it was over 40 watt because now my amp only work one chanel the righ chanel is dead, and i guess there is not solution to this than to buy another amp *man_in_love* lucky the amp i bought second hand so now i must search for other amp, the speaker that blow my amp righ channel i could not read wich cable was positive and negative.

i heard about that before but i dont know why i try it never again *fool*

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
swap the speaker cables over , wire the LHampchannel to the RHSpeaker , the RHampchannel to the LHSpeaker see if the problem shifts. maybe the speaker or amp, normally the speaker dies from an underpowered amp clipping, before you spend ona new amp

James

gasolin

could it be a fuse?

Forget about max power as long as theres no distortion you're fine, just don't try to play 1000 watt onj speakers that can only handle 100watt, distortion is what kills a speaker

bubobubo

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
JamesMellor said:
swap the speaker cables over , wire the LHampchannel to the RHSpeaker , the RHampchannel to the LHSpeaker see if the problem shifts. maybe the speaker or amp, normally the speaker dies from an underpowered amp clipping, before you spend ona new amp

James
i try it that but nothing help

bubobubo

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
HI AGAIN IM HAPPY the problem is fixed it was no the speakers or amp but the rca conetion was loose so now everything is working ok *ROFL*

so do this mean that there is not problem for a amp to mix negative and positive with cables? *unknw* i mix the cables in all the ways. extrange i heard something before that mixing with negative or positive can kill you amp? *scratch_one-s_head*

insider9

bubobubo said:
maybe i guess i put both speakers in the same working channel until i find other second hand amp
As most people would wire them in parallel it would be even worse. And a recipe for disaster. Especially if you're already unsure how well your amp manages a 4 ohm load.

I'm glad you realised it was your interconnects. Just a word of caution for future. Remember depending on how you connect speakers together it either lowers (parallel) or raises (series) the impedance.

bubobubo

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
so indeed it can be dangerous to mix with the negative and positive conections with speakers cables? i ask my friend that give me the speaker he said these old speakers it doesnt matter because there is not negative or positive *shok* can this really be true?

ps, how did the people in old times know wich cable s negative or positive i see nothing on the cable that can differenciate that *scratch_one-s_head*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts