Question Old Linn/Arcam system needs upgrade?

Yammer

Oct 24, 2021
Visit site
First Post warning!

The last time I upgraded my hifi was in the mid nineties. So, my knowledge of current hifi is virtually non-existent. I'm hoping for some general advice.

I have moved home twice since 2014. The hifi has not sounded so good since. I assume room acoustics has played a large part in this, but there's only so much one can do about this. And I'm starting to think I need to change some of my hifi. But I have no idea where to start.

Sources are a wallmounted Linn Sondek LP12 and an Arcam irDac-II. Amp is a Linn Majik-I (integrated). Speakers are Tannoy 609 (concentric rear-ported stand mounted). Room is hard floor, low ceiling, carpeted, and a terrible shape. I'm working on the acoustics, but I don’t hold up much hope.

I live in darkest south Dorset, and it's not coming down with hifi shops around here. Luke, you are my only hope!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.
I would agree with @manicm, if you have an awkward room you really have to find some speaker first that are really going to work well in it before thinking of anything else.
Dorset? You have HiFi House, Stoneaudio, and a RicherSounds in Bournemouth amongst others..... Try living in darkest Wales. :)

Yammer

Oct 24, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

I was wondering if the Tannoys were struggling with the last couple of houses.

The best room was big and square, with a carpeted suspended floor. The speakers were well away from the walls.
The last house was a much smaller narrower room, with a laminate floor. This house has a hard carpeted floor, low ceiling and a sort of Z-shape, with the speakers pointed down the middle.

The Linn dealer I got the Tannoys from, back in the early 90s, seemed less than impressed with my choice, but they always sounded great to me in the big airy rooms they were used in until recently. I thought they were supposed to be good speakers, but I wonder if they are just fussy about the room. And, if that's the case, what should I be looking for now?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts