Oil for Tangospinner Subplatter

priam

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
So after much decision, I have placed an order for the TangoSpinner Subplatter. The subplatter will require oiling before being placed. They reccomend SAE15W50. From a quick google search, that's the oil used for cars.

Does anyone know where one might find this oil in a smaller quantity.

I've also been told that any high viscosity oil will work. Opinions?

priam said:
So after much decision, I have placed an order for the TangoSpinner Subplatter. The subplatter will require oiling before being placed. They reccomend SAE15W50. From a quick google search, that's the oil used for cars.

As far as I was aware the only thing needing oiling on a turntable is the spindle. Whatever that sub platter is may state an oil which is readily available, which to my mind is bollox. The normally recommended spindle oil or in some cases greese is the only thing that should be employed, and its usually a lot lighter than motor oil.

Ignore aforementioned, I have just googled it and see it is a spindle part. In which case my previous statement still stands, a light sewing machine oil or, if you don't mind blowing money away, which may be apparent,then find an oil from an actual turntable manufacturer and use this

priam

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
So any shop that fixes turntable should be able to hook me up? Since this is quite a big upgrade for the turntable, and me personally, I really don't want to screw this up.

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Personally I use this stuff on spindles - it's a doped oil and works wonderfully with everything I've ever touched with it. (Again difficult to set up a real world side by side analysis of how good these things really are outside of a lab!)

http://www.analogueseduction.net/bearing-oil/van-den-hul-spindle-oil.html

For everything else I use a light gun oil such as Parker Hale Express Gun Oil which has a great rust inhibitor built in (as do most oils !)

priam said:
So any shop that fixes turntable should be able to hook me up? Since this is quite a big upgrade for the turntable, and me personally, I really don't want to screw this up.

Not too sure where in the world you are located or why you decided this would be an upgrade withoutt actually hearing the difference. You can get turntable spindle oil from various places but you may find a simple light every-day oil would suffice without having to buy a litre of the stuff.... ;-)

Please don't take this the wrong way, we all need to see for ourselves and I am not sure what this upgrade is costing you, but always bear in mind the biggest upgrade you can make to a basically sound turntable is in the cartridge department.

brownz said:
Personally I use this stuff on spindles - it's a doped oil and works wonderfully with everything I've ever touched with it. (Again difficult to set up a real world side by side analysis of how good these things really are outside of a lab!)

http://www.analogueseduction.net/bearing-oil/van-den-hul-spindle-oil.html

For everything else I use a light gun oil such as Parker Hale Express Gun Oil which has a great rust inhibitor built in (as do most oils !)

+1 for the gun oil. My old fallback was a sewing machine oil but not so common these days.

Currently using an oil actually supplied with my turntable.

P.S.: as you say, any oil is a rust inhibitor by its very nature. Rust can only occur under a given set of circumstances so it's hardly a selling point....... bit like snake-oil really. ;-)

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
If you have a car repair garage near to you, try asking for an eggcup full, or 50ml (take a clean container with you), similarly if anyone near you does car or motorcycle maintenance. Audio Origami also sells oil, together with many other HiFi dealers.

GeoffreyW said:
If you have a car repair garage near to you, try asking for an eggcup full, or 50ml (take a clean container with you), similarly if anyone near you does car or motorcycle maintenance. Audio Origami also sells oil, together with many other HiFi dealers.

I'd advise against using anything that might go in a car. But, hey ho, it's your money.

Assuming Geoffreys post was a joke.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Using 3-in-1 on my TD160. It's what I've always used. It must've rotated several million times considering how much it's been hammered over a period of about 45 years, and there is still no play in the bearing, nor any obvious rumble. So if you're looking for a long-term tried and tested suggestion where tried and tested long term = nearly half a century, that's my recommendation.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
The idea with older decks you acquire is to remove old crud before re-oiling. As the OPs deck is fairly recent this sholuld not be unnecessary.

I used to use a sewing machine oil, and you don't need much of it.

Correct. AutoGlym Engine & Machine Cleaner squirted on a cotton bud does the trick, though I'm sure there are many and varied solutions. Probably even audiophile-quality stuff too somewhere for £99.99 ;-) I also wipe the bearing with it. Then just maybe 1/4 of a teaspoon of 3-in-1 dripped into the hole (my TD160 is the earlier version with the larger-diameter bearing; they shrank it in later years)

MajorFubar said:
Al ears said:
The idea with older decks you acquire is to remove old crud before re-oiling. As the OPs deck is fairly recent this sholuld not be unnecessary.

Correct. AutoGlym Engine & Machine Cleaner squirted on a cotton bud does the trick, though I'm sure there are many and varied solutions. Probably even audiophile-quality stuff too somewhere for £99.99 ;-) I also wipe the bearing with it. Then just maybe 1/4 of a teaspoon of 3-in-1 dripped into the hole (my TD160 is the earlier version with the larger-diameter bearing; they shrank it in later years)

I was well sorted with my deck. Initially it came with a grease applied by syringe but they later decided an oil was better so sent me the oil in syringes plus kit to remove grease free of charge. There's German efficiency for you. ;-)

MajorFubar said:
Using 3-in-1 on my TD160. It's what I've always used. It must've rotated several million times considering home much it's been hammered over a period of about 45 years, and there is still no play in the bearing, nor any obvious rumble. So if you're looking for a long-term tried and tested suggest where tried and tested long term = nearly half a century, that's my recommendation.

+1

It's light enough to work. The idea with older decks you acquire is to remove old crud before re-oiling. As the OPs deck is fairly recent this sholuld be unnecessary.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
priam said:

Yes. As I was into Airplane maintenance we used really good "Aeroshell Fluid 41oil " or general Fluid 41. I have it at my house. It stands extreme temperatures (-70 up to 150 I believe ). Just a few drops and in home appliances it can work for years. I also recommend using Airplane Aeroshell Grease 6 for some motor parts.

At the end of the day it might all depend on the type and construction of the bearing employed on your turntable. Unless that subplatter replacement also included a new type of bearing or seat then I would stick with turntable manufacturers suggestion. You are, as ever in hifi welcome to experiment.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts