Oh no - Drunk Jubilee Muck up - Help if poss ?

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

At about 3am ish Sunday night, cant exactly put a time to it but was txting drunk - so about then.

Got home, wife passed out after a Jubilee house party, so I thought it would be a good idea to continue the celebrations, open another tinny and listen to some music.

I have a pair of Audio Technicas and wanted to play them through my av amp (God knows why, itunes would have been fine via either laptop or iphone, but no - I was drunk and it had to be the amp).

My problem being that I needed the headphone adaptor jack and in a messy moment forced the headphone jack into it but somehow proceeded to fumble it in and then somehow ? snap the end of it ? Gutted and stupid.

Can they be repaired ? Anyone ? Or do I just bin em and put it down to a fairly expensive accident ?

I suppose, if I am looking for a positive, i can always upgrade - yet again.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Any of those stores that fix computers like Best Buy in the U.S. should be able to fix it. There are also headphone recable guys who can do it.

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
dalethorn said:
Any of those stores that fix computers like Best Buy in the U.S. should be able to fix it. There are also headphone recable guys who can do it.

Ok, great starting point and very grateful - but examples or even better contact no's / web addresses would be even better - Im a Southern UK guy - Kent to be precise - miles away from the great US of A. Is there a Best buy in Kent ?

A

Anonymous

A simple Google search brought these up - worth a phone call/email...... :)

RJ Electronics

Tel: 01227 363 336

Clicky.

I've got the M50S - fantastic headphones and well worth more money than they cost.

darrenconnor4

May 2, 2009
Visit site
If you geT in touch with frankfranks35 on eBay he's a cable expert. Will cost you more than doing it yourself but garuanteed a good job. I've bought from him before and know people who have on head fi. Good luck.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
If all you've broken is the jack in the headphones, then repairing them with a new jack is a fifteen minute job needing a new plug, wirestrippers and a soldering kit, all of which are readily available from your local Maplins.
Not meaning you in particular, but I never cease to be amazed by how many people these days can't do what were once classed as basic jobs of soldering plugs on audio-cables or wiring-up mains-plugs. There's definitely been 'skills fade' with those kind of simple tasks, for some reason.

stevieg330

May 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

If all it needs is a new jack putting on your phones, I would be happy to do it for the cost of postage (as I live in the midlands).

Let me know

Kind Regards

Steve

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
If all you've broken is the jack in the headphones, then repairing them with a new jack is a fifteen minute job needing a new plug, wirestrippers and a soldering kit, all of which are readily available from your local Maplins. Not meaning you in particular, but I never cease to be amazed by how many people these days can't do what were once classed as basic jobs of soldering plugs on audio-cables or wiring-up mains-plugs. There's definitely been 'skills fade' with those kind of simple tasks, for some reason.

If you're amazed by that, Major F, then you'd probably have some heart-related seizure if you knew the "basic jobs" I'm incapable of.

Just a couple of examples down the years should give you the general idea:

1) Bought my lovely DAC about ten years ago but it took me awhile (shame prevents me disclosing the exact time) to realise I'd connected it to the wrong input and that I wasn't actually hearing DAC-ified sound.

2) Likewise I bought my three Roksan amps and had to ring the dealer and post on here to ascertain how to actually hook them up correctly.

So soldering (whatever that is) is a no no. Skills fade? Personally it's more of a skills extinction.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
1) Bought my lovely DAC about ten years ago but it took me awhile (shame prevents me disclosing the exact time) to realise I'd connected it to the wrong input and that I wasn't actually hearing DAC-ified sound.
So come on then, come clean. Did you think that you heard an improvement when you put it in your system for the first time, before actually realising you weren't listening to it ?

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
eggontoast said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
So come on then, come clean. Did you think that you heard an improvement when you put it in your system for the first time, before actually realising you weren't listening to it ?

Yes, much to the amusement/derision of my girlfriend (now wife) and an assortment of friends and family I did actually think I heard improvements. Placebo power or what??

It took me awhile once I realised it hadn't been properly connected to actually mention it. Shame and ridicule ahoy! I remember playing something for the first time when it was all correctly hooked up and thinking "aah, that's what I should have been hearing". It took me a few weeks to mention it to her and others.

In fact, I spent ages furtively conducting A/B tests playing tracks through the CD player alone then comparing them with CD plus DAC. The experience somewhat undermined my credibility, you could say and has had a few airings whenever I've upgraded or tweaked my system since those oh so heady days.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
MajorFubar said:
If all you've broken is the jack in the headphones, then repairing them with a new jack is a fifteen minute job needing a new plug, wirestrippers and a soldering kit, all of which are readily available from your local Maplins. Not meaning you in particular, but I never cease to be amazed by how many people these days can't do what were once classed as basic jobs of soldering plugs on audio-cables or wiring-up mains-plugs. There's definitely been 'skills fade' with those kind of simple tasks, for some reason.

If you're amazed by that, Major F, then you'd probably have some heart-related seizure if you knew the "basic jobs" I'm incapable of.

Just a couple of examples down the years should give you the general idea:

2) Likewise I bought my three Roksan amps and had to ring the dealer and post on here to ascertain how to actually hook them up correctly.

So soldering (whatever that is) is a no no. Skills fade? Personally it's more of a skills extinction.
lolol don't worry about it we all do daft things now and again :D

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Yes, much to the amusement/derision of my girlfriend (now wife) and an assortment of friends and family I did actually think I heard improvements. Placebo power or what??

It took me awhile once I realised it hadn't been properly connected to actually mention it. Shame and ridicule ahoy! I remember playing something for the first time when it was all correctly hooked up and thinking "aah, that's what I should have been hearing". It took me a few weeks to mention it to her and others.

In fact, I spent ages furtively conducting A/B tests playing tracks through the CD player alone then comparing them with CD plus DAC. The experience somewhat undermined my credibility, you could say and has had a few airings whenever I've upgraded or tweaked my system since those oh so heady days.
:rofl: That's funny, good for you for airing it on a public Hi-Fi forum.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
eggontoast said:
Charlie Jefferson said:

:rofl: That's funny, good for you for airing it on a public Hi-Fi forum.

Thank you. The very lapsed Catholic in me occasionally seeps through, it seems.

Epiation through WHF forums, now there's a 21st century phenomenon.

A

Anonymous

Your experience with your DAC reminds me of the time in the 60s when Ravi Shankar, the famous sitar player, performed a concert at the Albert Hall which had sold out in advance due to his association with George Harrison, and his performance on one of The Beatles' records.

The stage was decked out in Indian silks, and incense burners were blazing merrily away as Shankar and a mate of his playing something called a tabla, took to the stage amid huge anticipation from the great and the good who made up the very hip audience.

George himself and his considerable entourage sat in pride of place, front row center.

The lights dimmed as the two Indians started plinking away, and making music that we had never heard before.

After 15 minutes of this, they stopped playing and squirmed around on their king-sized cushions as the sell-out crowd got to it's feet and gave them a rousing ovation. The applause seemed to last for a very long time as the audience roared their approval with whoops and hollers.

Then Shankar sauntered over to a mic and explained to the crowd that he had simply been tuning up for the last quarter of an hour and that the concert would now begin.

I left very soon afterwards!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts