Now Tv...

daveh75

Decided to sign up for the free trial as it's available on Roku, and see how it compared to Lovefilm and netflix.

Would love to know how Sky justifies the £15 a month charge (after the 30 day free trial and 3 months @ £8.99).

Despite claims of having more of the latest and biggest movies sooner than the competition the catalogue is appalling.

Lots of clips of bond films and trailers for films that aren't yet available!

Worse still if you do happen to find something worth watching, there's no HD option (on Roku at least) and the SD quality is poor to unwatchable.

Add to that the UI is unpleasant to use, it's limited to two devices per account, and not yet available for Nexus

I really don't think the competition has much to worry about.

Joe Cox

Content Director, What Hi-Fi?
Staff member
May 31, 2007
Visit site
We had this at the time NOW TV launched, it's not aimed at anyone who would do it four times a month... I think you do it once a month, say, or even less, giving you access to Sky Sports without a dish, contract, monthly subs. Throw in the fact you might have mates round who would chip in, you might otherwise be going to the pub...and it doesn't seem so expensive. They don't want Sky Sports subscribers to consider it as a cheap alternative and cannibalise subs, they want it as an option for people who see Sky Sports as too expensive but would pay £10/month (or less frequently) to get 24-hour access for a load of sport. remember, if you time it right, you could probably get half a dozen live football matches from around Europe, plus other sports and an F1 Grand Prix, for example... That's my take on it anyway.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
It's certainly a cheap way to view all the Formula One races live that the BBC don't show..... A tenner per race (possibly less if split between friends, as Joe notes) isn't bad, especially when you consider the Sky coverage runs for about 4 hours. That's the same (or less) as cinema ticket, which you can't share!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
It's certainly a cheap way to view all the Formula One races live that the BBC don't show..... A tenner per race (possibly less if split between friends, as Joe notes) isn't bad, especially when you consider the Sky coverage runs for about 4 hours.

But you wouldn't be able to watch the qualifying unless you bought two day's worth.

Even a fiver a day would be significantly more than a month's subscription, a tenner just seems to be taking the Michael.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
You're missing my point. BBC show nine races live, which has left 10 F1 races this season exclusively on Sky.

So with Now TV it would cost you £100 a year* to watch all races live - that's a lot cheaper than any subscription, surely? (Especially as the F1 season stretches from March to November)

*Not including TV licence fee for BBC, which we'll all paying anyway

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
You're missing my point. BBC show nine races live, which has left 10 F1 races this season exclusively on Sky.

So with Now TV it would cost you £100 a year* to watch all races live - that's a lot cheaper than any subscription, surely? (Especially as the F1 season stretches from March to November)

*Not including TV licence fee for BBC, which we'll all paying anyway

Maybe cheaper than a subscription but it's still expensive......I like F1 but it's not that exciting for me to part with £100 + extra licence fees to watch it.

daveh75

A VPN/Smart DNS/Proxy costs as little as a fiver a month* and will get you access to all practice/qualifying/races.

An HD+ subscription cost me £65 for the year (discounting equipment costs) last year

*Its becoming increasingly obvious that everyone will be needing to use one, so we can discount the cost.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
daveh75 said:
A VPN/Smart DNS/Proxy costs as little as a fiver a month* and will get you access to all practice/qualifying/races. An HD+ subscription cost me £65 for the year (discounting equipment costs) last year *Its becoming increasingly obvious that everyone will be needing to use one, so we can discount the cost.

Now THAT is useful information. If only that was as slickly packaged and promoted as Sky's offering :)

Joe Cox

Content Director, What Hi-Fi?
Staff member
May 31, 2007
Visit site
daveh75 said:
Joe Cox said:
If anyone has other questions about the box, we're having a play with one now so just shout...

Are there remote apps, or as its just a badge engineered Roku LT running custom f/w does the roku app work?

No app, and no it doesn't work. Definitely something I'd like to see added. More info and pictures now up here: Hands on: Now TV box review

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts