Novice needs some advice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello, thought you might be able to help a complete novice....

My kit:

Panasonic 37px80b

Panasonic DM35 Blu Ray Player

Humax Freesat HDR

All good stuff, but im finding the sound is appalling; I haven't any space for an amp and can't have anything more than a 2.1 speaker system so whats the best way to improve the sound? I've a budget of about £200 - if the choice is between sound quality and looks then looks would have to come first to satisfy 'her indoors'

Thanks

A

Anonymous

I don't have any space for any kind of amp

Will i see a much better sound quality if I hook up some of these?

http://whathifi.com/Review/Wharfedale-Diamond-91/

I know these are hifi speakers but I'm assuming I can hook these up to my tv or am I barking up the wrong tree?

What I'd really like are some small 'cube like' speakers that I can park either side of the tv that aren't going to be that noticeable but still deliver some oomph.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
You can't plug speakers straight into the tv,

What you can do is buy something like the Denon DM37DAB, & using phono cables hook it up to your tv for a better stereo sound.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
If you have no space for an amp, look at some active speakers - the amp is built into the speaker so you can directly hook them up to the TV. There's a group test of them in the latest issue of WHF, but some examples exist on the site here. Something like the Audioengine A5s or the Cygnett-Unison iX5 (which has the benefit of a remote control). I would recommend looking at placing them on proper speaker stands if you can.

Just saw your note about small speakers, in which case maybe the Audioengine A2s might be better - though controlling the volume on these could be a bit tricky as is discussed in this post.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies

I like the Bose speakers from a purely asthetic point of view - I can't find out from anywhere whether you need a seperate amp tho, the Bose website is useless. Anyone know if they can be hooked straight up to my tv?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Quote from the website:

"It offers lifelike sound from your stereo components and, when connected to your surround sound receiver, itïs also an appropriate choice as a rear channel home cinema speaker solution."

Which suggests no.

A

Anonymous

The Onkyos are favourite at the minute.....just a few questions though..

With the Onkyo presumably I'd connect up the freesat and BD to the amp/sub woofer instead of the tv and then the amp would send the hdmi signal (picture and sound) to the tv via the hdmi out?

How would this affect the upscaling abilities of the freesat and BD player (when playing dvds)?

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
professorhat:

"It offers lifelike sound from your stereo components and, when connected to your surround sound receiver, itïs also an appropriate choice as a rear channel home cinema speaker solution."

Which suggests no.

the Prof is much better at reading than me. Don't know what these are like, but maybe worth a look too? http://www.cheapelectricals.co.uk/acatalog/Sony_HTIS100__ht-is100_ht-is100_htis100_htis100_ht1s100_.html?gclid=CPfmt_-uoJkCFYQWzAodG0O0pA (never used that site so pls verify yourself, but seems cheapest)

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Yes, connect the freesat and BD player to the Onkyo's inputs, then the Onkyo to the TV. For the picture, the Onkyo will pass any upscaled video content from the freesat and BD player to the TV untouched so it won't affect the upscaling of your freesat and BD player for DVDs.

For the sound, the Onkyo will obviously handle any audio it receives.

A

Anonymous

Reckon I'm going to go with the Onkyo, it fits the bill perfectly.

Thanks for the replies folks, doubt I'd have got onto the Onkyo without your help!

A

Anonymous

Just bought the Onkyos from Currys Wednesbury for the bargain price of £179.99 plus free Onkyo DVD player!

Thanks for the advice and thanks to someone on the other forums for the heads up on the Currys deal.

Got to go set them up now....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts