Newbie needs help.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Complete hi-fi novice - need a new system to go in a fairly small conservatory.

Only want an amp and speakers atm - already have an old yamaha cdx 490 cd player.

Speakers need to be fairly small foorprint- ( her indoors etc.... ) - awful I know - but have to go on window sills ! ( preferably walnut case !!)

Have to have some sort of Ipod/ MP3 connectivity

Only local dealer is richer sounds - and didn't really like or trust the way they pushed Cambridge products over everything else !

I primarily listen to classical / sinatra type stuff etc.. like a smooth nuetral sound if that makes sense ?

just need an opinion on the following :

Nad 326 / 355 BEE amp - Rotel RA04SE .......... paired with either Wharfdale Diamond 9.1 ( shape looks good to me ! )or Q Acoustics 2010 ???

Thanks !

A

Anonymous

How about Yamahas HS50M Powered Monitors?

Nice and neat, superb reference quality sound with 70 watt amplification built in.

Price about £119 each.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Welcome to the forums
emotion-1.gif

Whats your overall budget?

IMO the likes of the Rotel RA04SE with the Monitor Audio RX1's (or the RS1's if youre happy with 2nd hand speakers) would be a superb option.

Dont get me wrong I love NAD but the C326BEE isnt best suited to your tastes in music but the NAD C355EE would be a better option (more power and a different soundstage).

Other speakers to consider would be the Dali Lektor 2's (again would work superb with the Rotel or the NAD C355BEE)
emotion-5.gif
The Arcaydis DM1 speakers would be a worthy option too but these cant only be bought online and NOT demo'd but you do have a 30-day return policy
emotion-1.gif

Do the speakers HAVE to go on the windowledge or could you possibly use dedicated stands?

A

Anonymous

The Rega Brio 3 and Wharefdale 9.1's sound very nice together and give a lovely smooth sound. You can see I'm a Rega fan
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Budget is around the £450 mark ( give or take £50 ! ) - And any cable recommendation appreciated on top of that !

( maybe I could get her to accept some stands at a later date !)

A

Anonymous

b&w dm601 s1-can get them 2nd hand from ebay for about £100,
great bookshelf speakers-had em for years, chk the recent threads on
room acoustics and speaker placement-I'd say thats as important as the
kit your buying-in a conservatory with all that glass there can be quite
a bit of @@@-i dont know the word, /reverb/bounce/brightness/am not
sure-Im a newbie to this forum but its been very very useful.

am
quite partial to chord odessey 2 and 4 cable--again ebay has a few 2nd hand
offers.

one good thing about good condition 2nd hand kit is that
its already been broken in.

nad c370, b&w 601 s1 and 602 s3, monitor
audio 8i, marantz cd67 mkII se, chord odessey 2 and 4

good hunting

A

Anonymous

I've actually got a pair of 601's in another room carrying out front AV duties - too big for my purposes here.

- just read a rega 3 review - and would appear to be the type of thing I'm looking for - getting a demo could prove difficult though !

( can I attach an Ipod to a rega ? - can't tell on the info I've found - and what about pairing it to a tuner and cd at a later date ? )

A

Anonymous

For me, the Rega Brio 3 is a fantastic amp especially considering its price. It is a lively amp and I'm sure more powerful than the numbers would suggest. Some say its a bit bass light but I think its just very well controlled in the lower frequencies. I've listened to loads of stuff over the years and for my ears at least, this is a truly musical amp. It doesn't have balance, tone controls or a remote or headphone socket but I'm happy not to have these things when the sound quality is so good.

It doesn't have a dedicated ipod dock but I believe you can attach one via one of it's line inputs. it has CD, Tuner and Line 1 inputs as well as Tape in/Out and Phono (with built in phono stage) so unless you have lots of A/V kit you're wanting to plug into it, connectivity shouldn't be a problem.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts