Not sure if new Speakers will do...

Dear music lovers,

i am about to buy in two days the Q Acoustics 2020i to upgrade the sound of my system. I have right now 4 Speakers connected in pararell, which you can see in the attached Image. They are 2 Loewe Opta B20 and two Jaytec (i can't find the Model) https://www.dropbox.com/s/vuk8hvv6983sji7/IMG_20150629_130324178_HDR.jpg?dl=0 . The Amp is a Pioneer 109-A and the Turntable a Pro-Ject Debut 3 (As CD player just a regular DVD from LG)

Will i find a much better sound with the Q Acoustics? I wan't them mainly to play my LP's (from Song-Writer to Death-Metal, Techno, Psycho, Jazz, Rock 'n' Roll... Everything)

Thanks!

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm not familiar with your speakers but where do you plan to position your new QA 2020i's? Ideally you need them a little further apart than your current stuff and on stands, maybe brackets or on some desk isolation pads. Just plonking them anywhere will not get the best out of them.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
I'm not familiar with your speakers but where do you plan to position your new QA 2020i's? Ideally you need them a little further apart than your current stuff and on stands, maybe brackets or on some desk isolation pads. Just plonking them anywhere will not get the best out of them.

sorry - placing them uniformly apart (same distance left & right of your listening position with the tweeters at ear height or angled towards your ear height (sounds better than just plonking *smile*)

Agree with the others.

Unless you can find a more suitable place for the speakers, you won't hear what the Q Acoustics or others can really do.

Q Acoustics are fabulous speakers. Also with older Pioneer amps Wharfedale are a fabulous match, but as I'm not familiar with your speakers it's hard to say whether they'll be an improvement.

Speaker placement is the most urgent IMHO.

Hm, thanks a lot for your nice answers. I believe you are abslutely right. I just put my system where i could due to the kind of room i got, but i could try to figure out another placement. I don't have the money to buy any stand or so but i could try to find a solution. Maybe i could build something on the wall... I attach another picture of my room, where you can see the situation. Yes, maybe the wall on the right side could be good. I don't know... Anyway, i have to give a thought on the placement, and for that particular i thank you all!

The speakers which i got are fine but they lack a lot of sound, like there where some parts of the music that they would not be able to play. Comparing with the sound of the headphones Sennheiser HD 598 there is much left on the way.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/at46zgur83qdg77/IMG_20150630_110534734_HDR.jpg?dl=0

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
You can often buy used stands for £10-£30, not expensive, even good ones like Partingdons Ive seen for £30, key thing is to find them locally. If in UK look on gumtree, pre-loved, freecycle and local papers or even ebay.

Headphones by design (close to the ears) are going to give you a better sound. However, I've not seen speakers like yours and them firing almost into the ceiling you are losing much of what you should be hearing.

You could buy some wall brackets and mount those so they face the listening position.

In your position I would consider active speakers.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
It's not clear from the 2nd photo but if you were able to move your white set of drawers to the right by about 30 - 40cms - could you make enough room to put speakers on stands either side of the set of drawers? Otherwise I'm not sure where else you might put speakers without a total redesign of your room.

It makes such a difference having the speakers positioned properly, if was me, I would get the positioning right first before I paid any money for new speakers. Maybe look around for 2nd hand stands, then try it out with your current speakers first to see how much the sound improves just by getting the position right.

Thanks for your answers, again. First of all, i tried today the headphones VS the speakers and i like much more hearing music in the speakers. The sound quality is much worse or at least i was able to hear much more detail and bass instruments (for example while playing Mingus' The black saint and the sinner lady). I tried my speakers without paralell conexion, with it, in another room and in other positions and i was never happy. It was funnier than with headphones though.

But the idea of second hand standers could make it and also i think i could manage to build something or at least to move the drawers like Jonathan said, which was in fact a very good idea (i have exactly the perfect space. The only problem is the woman living on that side of the building).

I'll give it a thought again, i really appreciate the answers and the precious tips. I'll let you know!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts