Not really happy with my sound (Tannoy DC6T)

umbucker

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
In all I have spent in excess of £4K on my system. I have Tannoy DC6T Signature revoutions a DC4 Centre and DC4 Rears, and a tannoy TS12 sub. I am running all this through a Denon AVR2808 Amplifier. I think the problem is really it lacks a certain brightnees and sparm I have read reveiws to say that the Tannoy Signature revoulution series are very bright speakers but inmy experience they are all but.

If I use the Audessey mode on my amp it puts 8Khz and 16Khz to the maximum which sounds bright but very artificial, but when running flat it sounds remarkabley muddy, a lack of top end and a lack of true depth (even through the TS12 sub)

I imagine this is down to one of 2 things, 1 my listening position is only about 9 ft from the front L and R and Centre - Is this too close ? is myroom too small for my setup - I have an L shaped room but the area my system is set up in is only about 10 x 15 FT. The other reason could be the AMP (i really can not imagine it is the speakers) A £900 Tannoy AVR amplifier is this not sufficient for such high quality speakers ? I would hate to spend 2K on an amp to find it is just my room!!

Help please

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
It may just be that you are looking for a bit more attack from your system. The Tannoy's are excellent and you can get very good results with them. You will find that the speakers do not colour the sound and fairly accurately reveal what the amplifier is doing.

I am not up to speed on the Denon / Tannoy combo but suggest you look at that. What cables are you using? A slightly more forward cable such as Chord Silver Screen may give the system a bit of extra bite. Failing that one of the new Pioneer amps will gel perfectly with your system and it you want a livelier sound consider one of the big Onkyo's.

umbucker

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Ah that could be the answer - I have quite cheap speaker cable - 20M for £40 at CPC! It is quite meaty cable but not easy to replace as it is burries in my walls!! I have my fronts (DC6T) bi ampted using the unused rear channels of 7:1, whether this makes any difference is another debate I suppose

A

Anonymous

Hi

Are you talking about 5.1 for movies or just music.

It might be worth checking your crossover sttings.........My friend found the denon auto setup to be not very accurate , he sets it up manualy. Any way I had the wrong crossover settings on my amp for ages. I changed them and it was listening to different speakers. they went from muddy to clear and precise.

D

A

Anonymous

I'm listening to my DC6T's right now and can't imagine anything sounding muddy on them!

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
For me the D6Ct are beyond bright.dont work for me..(and I like bright speakers) so...must be something with the amp settings

TRENDING THREADS