Nokia Lumia 920 & 820 - Thoughts?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Of course, the article is from a Nokia sponsored site, but the poll results are from 3 different sites. To be fair, the website only claimed that:

The Nokia Lumia 920 seems to have really caught the imagination of most smartphone users.

As I mentioned previously, given that the Windows platform is largely untested as compared to the established iOS & Android, it is unrealistic to expect record breaking sales just yet. If Windows succeeds & comes on par with the others, we may see a different story 2 years down the line.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
If you checkout alot of other forums to do with smartphones the new nokia 820 & 920 is showing alot of interest. We all have our own rights to express our views but i find some views being on a personal level when it could be more on a constructive and user experience.

I have been using the iPhone 4s for the last year and have been very happy with the iOS , battery life and overall quality of phone , though i was interested to find out about the windows phones so i purchased a second hand lumia 800 of eBay and so far i really like it.

If i'm not using the lumia for watching videos and not to mutch game playing and use the phone for more of keeping in touch with things like calls, texts , emails , people intergration , live tiles and local interests a i have found it to be better than my iPhone 4s. The windows app store is a little bit of a let down and the battery life is poor with the lumia 800 but i still like it alot.

After using the lumia 800 for 3/4 weeks i went back to my iPhone for about 1 hour before putting the sim back into the lumia 800

I have to admit the lumia isn't as good as an iPhone but the hole feel of the phone it just feels like you'r keeping intouch more with things, the OS is fresh to look at and i hope with W8 the OS is strong enough to stand its ground with Android and Apple and put on a quality phone like the 820 or 920 then it should be a very good phone. It just need the quality apps to complete things

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
bigboss said:
Of course, the article is from a Nokia sponsored site, but the poll results are from 3 different sites. To be fair, the website only claimed that:

The Nokia Lumia 920 seems to have really caught the imagination of most smartphone users.

Well, that and its nice attention grabbing, headline title:

Nokia Lumia 920 more popular than iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy SIII, Note II

;)

professorhat said:
bigboss said:

Well, that and its nice attention grabbing, headline title:

Nokia Lumia 920 more popular than iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy SIII, Note II

;)

Well, it did grab my attention! ;)

Nokia clearly is taking advantage of the iOS map fiasco :grin: :

http://conversations.nokia.com/2012/09/20/benchmarking-mobile-maps/

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57517826-94/nokia-heres-why-the-lumia-920-is-better-than-the-iphone-5/

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57517592-94/nokia-hey-apple-our-mapping-is-better-than-yours/

A

Anonymous

The 920 is the first Windows phone that I'm really looking forward to using, high res screen, looks great, has some nice features including image stabilisation for what may be the best camera, and even appears to have a half decent OS. I fancy one in canary yellow :)

Bit heavy though..

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Dynamight said:
The 920 is the first Windows phone that I'm really looking forward to using, high res screen, looks great, has some nice features including image stabilisation for what may be the best camera, and even appears to have a half decent OS. I fancy one in canary yellow :)

Bit heavy though..

Maybe I am unusual but for my money phones have become too light. One problem with my One X is it feels insubstantial. I prefered the weight of my desire hd and would have no problem with the 920.

Bumrah

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
I may be wrong but i think most people place a lot more emphasis on the phone rather then the OS which can be good and bad i suppose. Personally i have had a couple of Windows phones, several Android handsets and an iphone. I returned 2 HTC handsets, one on Windows 7.5 (Radar) and one on Android (Sensation XE) as they both had "death grip" issues. I also returned a Sony Xperia on Android as after the ICS update it ran like a dog. The iphone (3GS) was incredibly slow (i know the newer ones are much quicker) but i also found IOS to be dull and the battery life was very poor. It's been a bit of a rollercoaster because all these handsets and Operating systems have had pro's and con's but i have found a flaw with all of them, sometimes the handset and sometimes the OS.

That was until i got the Nokia Lumia 800! From the moment i opened the box it has been a pleasure to use for the following reasons:

1. Battery life = over 2 days with moderate use

2. Build quality = Fantastic solid build and a joy to hold

3. Performance = Awesome, very very quick, never hangs or freezes and just works. Call quality is fantastic and signal strength is better than any previous handset.

4. OS = I actually really like it, better than Android or IOS for me anyway. Different but i have yet to have any issues with it.

I know people say that Windows app support (Marketplace) is poor but actually it is growing very fast and for me it has all the apps i need. Free sat nav (Nokia Drive) which is fantastic and the maps can be downloaded so no need for constant GPS usage. I can also get pretty much any news/sport/social/messaging app that i will ever need (Sky Sports, Sky News, BBC, ESPN, CNN, You Tube etc).

I suppose what i'm getting at is don't completely dismiss Nokia or Windows, especially as i reckon Windows 8 and the Lumia 820/920 will be even better than my Lumia 800 abd Windows 7.5. I nearly dismissed them but am so glad i didn't and i have even tempted some colleagues to dip their toes. They have all been really impressed when actually handling and using the phone.

I wonder how many people who comment on Windows phones and the Nokia range, have actually used them?

Hopefully if somebody is considering these but isn't sure, this may encourage them to at least try.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Bumrah said:
That was until i got the Nokia Lumia 800! From the moment i opened the box it has been a pleasure to use for the following reasons:

1. Battery life = over 2 days with moderate use

2. Build quality = Fantastic solid build and a joy to hold

3. Performance = Awesome, very very quick, never hangs or freezes and just works. Call quality is fantastic and signal strength is better than any previous handset.

4. OS = I actually really like it, better than Android or IOS for me anyway. Different but i have yet to have any issues with it.

I know people say that Windows app support (Marketplace) is poor but actually it is growing very fast and for me it has all the apps i need. Free sat nav (Nokia Drive) which is fantastic and the maps can be downloaded so no need for constant GPS usage. I can also get pretty much any news/sport/social/messaging app that i will ever need (Sky Sports, Sky News, BBC, ESPN, CNN, You Tube etc).

I suppose what i'm getting at is don't completely dismiss Nokia or Windows, especially as i reckon Windows 8 and the Lumia 820/920 will be even better than my Lumia 800 abd Windows 7.5. I nearly dismissed them but am so glad i didn't and i have even tempted some colleagues to dip their toes. They have all been really impressed when actually handling and using the phone.

I wonder how many people who comment on Windows phones and the Nokia range, have actually used them?

Hopefully if somebody is considering these but isn't sure, this may encourage them to at least try.

Apart from the battery life my nokia lumia 800 lasts a around 24 to 30 depends on use, unless i'm really bored and i end up playing lots of games which it would ony last 6 hours or so + standby time but this seems to be the case with any phone.

The Apps are the only thing to let Windows down ( at the moment ) though i think this will change over time

My only concern is battery life with all the live tiles that windows 8 will run, so fingers are crossed

TRENDING THREADS