Question noise

mangas54

May 12, 2020
Visit site
My first post so thanks for any help. I have just replaced an old Onkyo receiver with the Denon 2600 and set it up per the booklet. I have a Sony ps hx500 turntable which I have connected to phono on the amp, with red and white analogue leads (as per book). The noise and distortion was terrible, couldn't listen to it. I tried a different connection on the CD connection on the amp, again with analogue leads and it works fine. I did assign the turntable to the CD but now I can't play my CD's. It's frustrating because everything worked ok with my Onkyo and Iv'e spent £450-00 on the new receiver. Is the turntable not compatible with the receiver? I have read that the Denon supports turntables equipped with MM phono cartridges. As I say it plays ok at the moment but I feel Iv'e spent a lot of money for it to not work properly.

mangas54

May 12, 2020
Visit site
Gray is correct, check the Line / Phono switch position on the back of your turntable. Then try it again in the Denons phono inputs.
Anyway, I thou that Denon had 4 line in sockets? What else do you have connected?
Only a CD player, that is connected via an optical lead. Everything else is on HDMI.

mangas54

May 12, 2020
Visit site
All will be fine then.
When you're connected to the Denon phono input, just ensure that it's getting the signal direct from your Sony's cartridge and not via the Sony's built-in pre-amp.
Thanks. I will try it on line at the back of my turntable, not phono. Can't try till tomorrow but will let you know if successful.

Gray

....on line at the back of my turntable, not phono.
That explains the 'noise'
Your poor Denon was expecting under 5 millivolts on each channel,
you were giving it hundreds of mV :eek:

(Couldn't see the spec of your Sony, but to give you some idea; When Cambridge Audio's Alva Solo standalone phono preamp gets 3.35 mV in, it gives 300mV out..... so the output voltage level is 89.5 times higher than a typical MM phono input wants).

mangas54

May 12, 2020
Visit site
Gray is correct, check the Line / Phono switch position on the back of your turntable. Then try it again in the Denons phono inputs.
Anyway, I thou that Denon had 4 line in sockets? What else do you have connected?
Only a CD player which is connected via an optical lead. All the rest are HDMI. I've read that the turntable should be grounded
Only a CD player, that is connected via an optical lead. Everything else is on HDMI.
Would it help if I earthed the amp and turntable together? It shows that in the Denon download.

Only a CD player which is connected via an optical lead. All the rest are HDMI. I've read that the turntable should be grounded

Would it help if I earthed the amp and turntable together? It shows that in the Denon download.
If the turntable doesn't currently have any hum issues then the earth may not need connecting. However, try it and see. There is a ground point next to the phono inputs on the back of the amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts