Node 2/Vault 2/Cambridge Azur/ND5/LinnDS/etc. Streamers

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ChemMan

Sep 19, 2016
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
ChemMan said:
I can't figure out that quote block. Shocking to think I used to be the go to Tech guy at work.

Just press the Quote tab under the post you wish to quote...and make sure you start your message after the "
" denoting the end of the section being quoted.

-------------------------------------------

On a different note, you might enjoy this:

[/quote]

Great piece of music, even on my "pedestrian" system. :)

I did some research on your Harbeths. Wow. How do you find them now after having them for a short while?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ChemMan said:
I did some research on your Harbeths. Wow. How do you find them now after having them for a short while?

I'm not sure there is a whole lot more to add. They are BIG, natural and enveloping. Voices sound scarily realistic. Violins and cellos sound rich and resonant....and like you are in the room with them. Woodwind sounds breathy and "Reedy".

The scary thing is, I think I'm only scratching the surface of what they can do. Ideally, they need a better amp and more room to breathe, as they generate near full range bass from the 12" Woofer.

What is remarkable, is they manage to reveal every drop of ambient info, without ever sounding forward or harsh. I have yet to hear anything that sounds nasty.

These are not speakers for a quick shock of excitment, that becomes wearing after an hour. These are speakers that draw you into the music, hour after hour.

FWIW. I never found the combination of DS/Arcam/LS50s became tiring either, which is one of the reasons I rated them so highly.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ChemMan said:
Sure: Janine Jansen Vivaldi: The Four Seasons. She has a her sister and father on it with her. I don't know why the Tidal link does not work properly.

That's great. I'll give it a listen.

Edit. What a joyful and exuberant rendition of The Four Seasons - so thank you for the recommendation.

Also, while I'm at it, let me try and put more "meat on the bones" of where I'm coming from, with regard to Music and Hifi in general...and Cables in particular.

The love of music is, of course, totally individual and subjective. Nobody can, or should tell you what you should like, or indeed, criticise what you do like. Your ears should be the judge.

The playback of that music requires a HiFi system; the picking of which is subjective and imo. should be based on what gives you the most enjoyment. It may measure great, or it may not...but the important thing is that it gives pleasure and connects you emotionally to the message that the musicians are trying to convey.

Now, as you put together a system, you should try out as many different brands as possible.....and the final selection is almost always based on what you hear and whether you like it more than its peers. It is seldom based on measurements, blind ABX tests and oscilliscope readings. In fact, I use characteristics that aren't measureable and again are totally subjective, like realism, believeability, emotional connection etc

Generally speaking, if you choose a component that conventional wisdom deems to make a difference, then your hearing is trusted to come up with the right answer. If on the other hand, you even suggest that you use that same hearing, to evaluate areas that are deemed not to make a difference, you are told not to waste your time. You are so not trusted to come to the right conclusion (for you), that it is suggested you don't even try.

As a scientist, where there is a polemic debate (even where it is insisted that this is a known area), surely it is worth putting to bed by trying it?

You have followed some of my posts and have said that you agree with a lot of my thoughts and assessments around how different brands sound. I came to those conclusions by doing a lot of listening....and when it comes to cables of any sort, I go through the same process....except in the case of cables, people queue up to tell me it's all in my head. Well, it may be, or it may not be....but that (for me) isn't the point. The point is, I got out there and tried...and then followed the path that was right for me...not a path that somebody on a forum told me was right.

I have heard and tried brands including Atlas, Cardas, TCI, Clearer Audio, Audioquest, WireWorld, Titan, Chord and Furutech. IMO. Some made the sound better. Some made the sound worse...and some, on some components, made no difference.

I think it is very necessary for the tech people on here, in the interest of balance, to put the other side of the debate...but imv there is a debate to be had.....and again imv...the worst thing is to put people off trying. Whereas in their view, they are trying to save people like you (for their own good), from being convinced by people like me, to waste their money.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
You might also like this:

51dhQVicd6L._SS500.jpg

ChemMan

Sep 19, 2016
Visit site
... I started that post about recordings you suggested. Since you are one of the heroes around here, I hope you can help generate some interest.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts