No true HD or DTS HD output from Panasonic BD30

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a Panasonic BD30 blu ray player and a new Sony STR DG820. Problem is that whatever disc I play I cannot get True HD or DTS HD. I have selected the correct audio output on the disc during playback but to no avail. The BD30 is set to output bitstrem with secondary sound set to off. The BD30 is conected to the 820 by a HDMI cable only. The 820 always displays Dolby D as the outputed audio. Is this a player setting issue or an amp setting issue?

Thanks in advance.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Sounds like you've got most things covered - what HDMI cable is being used to connect the BD30 to the amp? If it's not of the correct spec (1.3 compatible or cat2) then it might not have the capacity to transfer the HD audio soundtracks.

A

Anonymous

I have the same set up as you bd30 and str-dg820, I use the same settings as you and on my reciever I get tru hd and dts hd maybe it is your hdmi cable.as there are 2 types you need the 1.3 HDMI.

Have you set up your speaker pattern for your ststem? if you are using 5.1 surround you should have the speaker pattern set as 3/2.1 maybe if you have the speaker pattern set to 2.1 it will not give you the correct decoding as there are only 2 channels .

I have just had a play about with my amp and I think I may have figured it out. If you go into the setting of your AMP and scroll down untill you get to AUDIO and select, then scroll to DEC.PRIO and select again, I think your one might be set to DEC.PCM if so put it onto DEC.AUTO it works on my one, if this doesnt work it could well be the hdmi, good luck

A

Anonymous

Cheers for the advice. I am at work and cannot remember the exact HDMI cable, but it is a QED and is definately v1.3. The speaker set up is also at 3/2.1 as this scrolls across the amp display when playing DD.

Mark, I will try your suggestion tonight regarding the amp settings.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Checked Marks settings, all ok. Still no true hd. HDMI is QED HDMI-P says 1.3 on the box. Anyone any ideas???

A

Anonymous

Got the same amp and player myself and have had problems not recieving HD audio. Go into the menu and check your HDMI setting. HDMI audio output needs to be set to AMP - if it's set to AMP+TV then you'll get DD stereo which the amp will decode using Pro-Logic. The player detects the TV on the end of the HDMI line which can only decode stereo sound, so all it sends out is digital stereo. Changing the HDMI out setting on mine fixed the problem.

A

Anonymous

AMP menu :- HDMI is set to amp only, Dec.prio is set to auto and speakers set to 3/2.1, dolby digital, DTS and dolby digital ex work fine. When I press display on the BD30 remote TV confirms true hd is being output. The QED HDMI cable I purchased was half price at £25 from the internet and carried award stars from What hifi 2007. Could this be an old version of the cable that does not carry HD audio?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
No, I'm pretty confident it's not the cable. There was someone recently with a similar problem that we couldn't diagnose in the forums, I'll see if I can find the post. Otherwise, where did you buy the kit from? Can you contact the dealer and see if they can help?

EDIT - okay, found the other post, it was for a BD35 rather than a BD30, but could possibly be the same issue. The resolution in the end for the other post was this:

Basically the Panasonic was for some reason outputting at 480p to
the Receiver, hence no HD audio. Once I manually forced it to output
in 1080p kerching!!!!!

So have a check and make sure your Panny BD30 is outputting at 1080p. In case it helps, the full details of the other post can be read here.

A

Anonymous

Problem solved!!!!!! As a last resort I returned the amp and the BD back to factory settings, started again and bingo all works fine. I'm thinking that as the BD was originally connected through a coaxial cable to an old Yamaha receiver prior to the Sony it may have had internal issues with passing HD sound through the HDMI.

Thanks for all you help and advice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts