No need to change!

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I used to post frequently to this forum because I was looking to buy a new system and it was a good place to get ideas. To cut a long story short, in 2014 I bought:

Marantz SA8005 SACD player
Marantz PM8005 amplifier
KEF R700 speakers
AKG K702 headphones

Now in 2021, I still have the same system and it has given me 7 years of extreme pleasure.

The only extras I have added are:

Sony UBP X800 UltraHD Blu-Ray/DVD player
Sony 65" UltraHD tv (Can't remember the model no)

I use the DAC in the SA8005 for DVD playback.

I wondered if others have stuck to the same kit for many year?

Gray

You've got some nice stuff there, which reduces the need for change.
Being content in this hobby is the holy grail. But there are always temptations.
In the early days I got through too many amps, speakers and CD players.
Still got (but don't currently use) a cassette deck and tuner I bought in 1978 and 1984.

These days I'm a sticker (my amp is around 19 years old).....but those temptations don't go away.

D

Deleted member 108165

I used to post frequently to this forum because I was looking to buy a new system and it was a good place to get ideas. To cut a long story short, in 2014 I bought:

Marantz SA8005 SACD player
Marantz PM8005 amplifier
KEF R700 speakers
AKG K702 headphones

Now in 2021, I still have the same system and it has given me 7 years of extreme pleasure.

The only extras I have added are:

Sony UBP X800 UltraHD Blu-Ray/DVD player
Sony 65" UltraHD tv (Can't remember the model no)

I use the DAC in the SA8005 for DVD playback.

Yes, I remember you very well, we had the same kit, though mine was the predecessor to the 8005's. Lived with mine for about 6 years until I got the hankering for the next model up so when the Ruby's were released I bided my time to wait for the inevitable price drop and jumped in with both feet when the time was right :)

I have to say that the next step-up from the 8005 is a major one, both financially and in performance. What I have now is easily my end-game system. See if you can get to hear the next level up... I think you'll be surprised.

The only issue with Marantz is that their cheapest SACD player is now £2.5K :eek:

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I remember you very well, we had the same kit, though mine was the predecessor to the 8005's. Lived with mine for about 6 years until I got the hankering for the next model up so when the Ruby's were released I bided my time to wait for the inevitable price drop and jumped in with both feet when the time was right :)

I have to say that the next step-up from the 8005 is a major one, both financially and in performance. What I have now is easily my end-game system. See if you can get to hear the next level up... I think you'll be surprised.

The only issue with Marantz is that their cheapest SACD player is now £2.5K :eek:

Looking at the Marantz website it would cost me about £8k to get the Rubys. I'm retired and that would be a major investment! I might see if I can find a dealer to have a listen.

D

Deleted member 108165

Looking at the Marantz website it would cost me about £8k to get the Rubys. I'm retired and that would be a major investment! I might see if I can find a dealer to have a listen.
Limited run on the Ruby's and I think all the CD players have now been sold, might be some Ruby amps still around though. The Model 30 and PM-12SE appear to be identical units to the Ruby inside so see if you can hear either of these.

Either way it's a huge investment, especially as you are now retired, and if you're happy and content with what you have then probably best to pass. As a note, I managed to get my Ruby's at £2.3K each.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts