No DTS, Dolby Digital from Blu ray and DVD on PS3

SACripps

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
But DTS CDs play back just fine!

I can't for the life of me work out what's wrong.

My Onkyo 605 receiver knows that I have a 5.1 set up, and yet whenever I select a DVD or Blu ray, the only comes from the front two speakers, even when I choose DTS or Dolby Digital in the disc's audio settings.

And yet if I play a DTS CD, not a problem and all speakers work as they should.

I connected and reconnected speakers, checked HDMI connections, swapped HDMI leads but no joy.

It's more than likely that I'm missing something really obvious that will cure the problem, so would someone be kind enough to put me right? Please :)

SACripps

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
The fat one. I should add that everything used to work perfectly up until I sold my flat a few months back and have recently moved into a new place, which has required me to set everything up again.

During the time between selling my old place and getting my new place the PS3 was in regular action, but attached only via HDMI to an LCD tv so two channel sound only.

The receiver was properly packed away in its original packaging, so I don't think anything has been damaged internally.

In general, surround speakers only come into play for that "surround experience" in movies. You won't hear the rear speakers to be as loud as the front ones. Watch a film like "Lord of the Rings" blu ray & see if you're getting surround sound or not.

SACripps

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
I appreciate where you're coming from, but I've been playing DVDs and Blu rays that I know have very effective surround sound, but nothing is coming out. I think I should have also added in the first instance, that nothing is coming from my centre speaker.

If you're saying all 5 speakers work as they should with CD, that means connections are fine. Still worth checkong all connections again. Have you checked sound settings in your PS3? Then try running the automatic setup in your receiver again (Audyssey 2EQ ).

SACripps

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
Thanks very much for your replies and interest so far.

All five work as they should with a DTS CD, ie there's DTS playback. All five work with a DVD or Blu ray when I switch the mode to Dolby Pro Logic II (and variations of) on my receiver.

I ran Audyssey and it's detected all my speakers.

Maybe there's something in my PS3 settings, but it knows that I'm connected via HDMI, I have DTS and Dolby 5.1 selected and the two appropriate Linear tracks and PCM and not Bitstream.

I'm sure you can appreciate why I'm quite stumped by this situation!

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
Go in to the sound settings a check that you have audio via hdmi,then tick the relevent boxes,then press x to save your settings.failing that powerdown your ps3 then turn on the switch,then keep your finger held on the standby button for 5 seconds you should then hear the ps3 make a blipping sound.this is a reset set up you screen settings again and sound and see how you go from there.:)

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Go into the Settings menu, then Sound Settings. Firstly, go to Audio Multi-Output and ensure this is set to Off. If this doesn't fix it, go back to Sound Settings, Audio Output Settings and then run through the wizard to setup the HDMI output again and make sure the relevant Dolby Digital, DTS and Linear PCM 5.1 settings are ticked.

SACripps

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
When I run the wizard, ie automatic detection rather than manual, the setting list results show output formats as Linear PCM 2 Ch. 44.1kHz and 48 kHz - no Dolby Digital or DTS. Multi audio output is definitely set to off.

I'm now going to try the reset as suggested by sonycentre.

SACripps

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
Nope, no joy, even following the reset. I know the PS3 reset because it asked me at start up if I wanted audio and video to run via HDMI and then it callibrated itself for 1080p.

What's going wrong here?

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Make sure the audio out setting for HDMI on your amp is set to AV and not set to TV+AV. (if you have such an option)

I had this set on my Sony AV and was only getting 2.1 sound (the max the TV supported) instead of 5.1 sound. It downscales to the lowest common denominator.

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
actually i had a simillar issue with my ps3 and denon 3310 - if you have DSP settings on your amp like cinema/music/standard/direct try pressing them.. mine was only showing stereo from the ps3 until i pressed the Mode Standard button and hey presto i then got DTS HD and DOLBY True HD lighting up on the receiver..

SACripps

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
ok, the latest is that I've tried all of the above and a bit more and still had no luck.

To go right back to basics, how should I have my Onkyo amp set up? When I had everything set up previously, I'm sure I left the receiver set to stereo, ie I didn't fiddle with any of the DSP settings, and it detected the 5.1 (DTS or Dolby) feed from the PS3 and all was good.

I even tried swapping my HDMI cables around tonight just in case one (or more) had been damaged in transit, but that's had no effect either.

I'm probably going to tried running sound via an optical audio cable to see if produces 5.1 as a process of elimination, but if that should work, does that tell me there's a fault with either my receiver or PS3?

SACripps

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
Sorted. I took it right back to the basics following the advice given elsewhere on the internet (not to diminish the help given to me here!) and it appears (and I'd obviously forgotten!) that all 7.1 sound settings need to be ticked, which leads to the magical 'multich' to appear in the Onkyo's display window and I'm in surround sound heaven again.

Thanks again for everyone's advice and patience. I really appreciate it.

Case closed :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts