No dolby digital plus from netflix/amazon

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
When watching netflix and amazon shows it shows on my receiver as dolby D on my denon 2200w

How come I'm not getting dolby digital plus?

My tv audio settings are recently changed to bitstream.

Audio format is dolby digital. Can select from pcm dolby digital or dts neo 2:5

Dolby digital compression mode line or rf does this make a difference?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
AFAIK Netflix et al only broadcast in Dolby Digital 5.1. I can check the receiver upstairs later but that's certainly the case downstairs.

And the audio delay can be horrible.

Also, AFAIK no-one repeat no-one is planning on broadcasting is Dolby Digital Plus. Atmos and or DTS:X maybe later, but not Aura or Dolby Digital Plus. Those formats look like going the way of the mini disc. Might be brilliant but too late to arrive after everyone has taken up Atmos and or DTS:X.

We shall see though. I predicted betamax would outlast VHS and have the knack of picking one of Don Trapnel's donkeys every year in the Grand National sweepstakes...

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
disc based formats like dvd, bluray and 4k bluray so that people like us with the right equipment ( a/v amp and however many speakers your room can handle) can listen to our films in whatever format it was mixed in and not downgraded to bog standard 5.1 or stereo like Netflix and all the other main streaming services.

Whenever streaming services are asked whether they will provide something other that dolby 5.1 they always give the same reaction, ie we are still working on it, we are waiting until everyone has high speed internet, we are waiting for the right audio compression to become available etc etc, nothing has changed even with the introduction of 4k services, awesome picture but still only dolby digital 5.1

I do now and will continue to buy films on disc based formats for as long as they are around, I've spent alot of money on my home cinema system and I'll be dammed if some streaming company tells me what sound format to listen to my films in.

*music2*

ps. I am a subscriber to Netflix but I do not use it to watch films, only there own series.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
+1

I regard Netflix, Hulu, etc. merely as cheaper, better alternatives to "classic" cable or satellite.

I frequently buy movies I've already seen on TV or, go for it granddad, at the cinema, to enjoy over again at my own pace, often in short sessions, often rewinding to re-watch the good bits and fast forwarding through the bad bits.

Samd

daveh75 said:
Both Amazon and Netflix support DD+ FYI...

Yep - from Netflix site: You can watch titles in 5.1 surround sound if you have a receiver that supports Dolby Digital Plus and a connection speed of 3.0 megabits per second or faster

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Just 5.1 then. In whatever format. It's still only 5.1. Not Atmos or DTS:X or Aura.

My Marantz 7010 does a good enough job of simulating or recreating Atmos (or 7.2.4 anyway) from most non Atmos sources, but still not as good as the "real" thing.

Oh. We have, theoretically, a 150 megabit connection (real speed more like 30) with a wired gigabit LAN throughout the house (I had it put in by the builders).. so no connection speed issues.

TRENDING THREADS