No bass sound to speakers

Matthew1974

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi there - first post (hopefully of many)...

Just bagged myself a very nice Yamaha RX-V673, which is great. However, slight problem with my (somewhat old) Eltax 4.1 speakers. I've run connections through to the lower ports on the back of the speakers from (what I believe are) the subwoofer points in order to get a response to the bass speakers, to the Surround Back/Bi-Amp jacks

I've also made a change in the settings in the menu - as suggested - to 5ch BI Amp but still nothing.

I'd be grateful if you have any suggestions.

Matthew1974

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
By that response I fear I may have done something a bit stupid! :oops:

These are old, second hand Eltax speakers. Two floormounted with 2 x +/- connections, two rear speakers with a single connection (though not currently plugged up) and one additional central speaker.

Am I pathetically wrong to assume that central speaker should be used as subwoofer? Because I've seen a similar set up that uses middle sound (for example, lead microphone on a music Blu Ray) and it sounded very clear.

What you've got is a 5.0 system. The front floorstanders will take the job of the subwoofer. Let the centre speaker remain as centre speaker. If funds allow, buy a dedicated subwoofer. Meanwhile, set the speakers to "large" in AV receiver settings.

Matthew1974

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Ahh excellent. I really appreciate your support. Apologies if I haven't quite grasped some of the finer technical details here.

I've made the suggested changes although there remains something still not quite right, predominately that they are still working as passive speakers. The front lights of the speakers have still not switched from red to green and-as such- it makes no difference if I unplug the power from them.

Essentially there are no sounds coming from the side bass speakers.

Thanks in advance.

Matthew1974

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I've linked to pictures of the info tab, the cable feed and- if it helps- the side, bass speaker which remains silent...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sparksy/8689306891/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sparksy/8689306987/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sparksy/8689307105/

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Unique design with separate powered sub integrated into the fronts.
Assuming u wish for now to single wire rather than biwire or biamp ..
Connect the sub outs to the speaker subs using phono/rca subwoofer cables. Connect the fronts to the top terminals but if they dont have metal links as shown with Google images then wire the upper terminals + to + & - to -.
Interesting units

Matthew1974

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
My sincere apologies for not replying sooner.

Still didn't get any luck with them. However, my other half said she doesn't like the size so we ended up buying from Richer Sounds in Brum some Cambridge Audio 2.1 set up for about £350 and she's a lot happier now.

(I also had to do some SERIOUS wire sorting around the back of the telly too!)

Thanks for giving it a go.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts