Nice pair of actives required. Any ideas?

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

Well the inevitable has finally happened. Mrs gazzip is up the duff again so my listening/cinema room has to become a bedroom. *cray2*

I have thought long and hard about what to do. My BB5SE's are not the kind of loudspeaker that I can integrate in to our living room, and even if I did have the space I wouldn't put them in there because of those poking little children fingers. I could sell them (the speakers not the children) but am not happy with this solution because I doubt I will ever be able to buy anything like them again due Mrs gazzip's new hifi spending rules. She is a cruel, cruel woman.....

The solution I think is to store them along with the Bryston 28BSST2's for a rainy day when I have more space to play with. We live in a flat in London and we will not be staying here for ever. I reckon in 5 years we will have a bigger pad somewhere further out or maybe away from London all together. God I wish.....

So, to keep the music alive and myself sane I need to look towards alternatives. I am thinking about keeping my front end (preamplifier/DAC/CD Player/Streamer combo) in active service during this hiatus and adding a nice pair of standmount actives to my collection. They will still be located in my listening room (soon to be bedroom) so will need to considerably smaller than my incumbents. They will also need a balanced XLR input due to distances between components and also my reluctance to lift the floor and run a single ended between locations. Happy to consider new or second hand and my budget is £2K maximum.

Thanks!

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
As a newly minted Genelec fanboy I'd be interested in something from their SAM series assuming you can set them up using the DSP to compensate for your listening space.

EvPa

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Brand new I would say Event Opals too, if they are small enough (H: 450mm/17.7'', W: 295mm/11.6'', D: 273mm/10.8'').

Thomann even has some B-stock one for sale right now (http://www.thomann.de/intl/event_opal_b_stock.htm).

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
As a Genelec owner I would put 2k on a new pair of 8050B. 8in woofer, lots of power & finesse, sounds good at low listening levels and stay composed when loud... integrated grilles too on both tweeter & woofer.

TRENDING THREADS