Nice Hifi set-up

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I've have been trawling the system pictures on PFM, working my way back from present to about 2010.

There are some truly awesome, money seemingly no objective, systems.

Still, personally, I like minimalism, smallness, cuteness. Unfortunately I can't post pictures but my ideal system is small, mostly hidden (other than speakers and turntable). Even a lovely bookshelf with components spread throughout between literature, perhaps even the speakers, is to me nicer than shrines to hifi where boxes upon boxes fight for space on often hideous racks taking up most of the room. The telly in the middle just finishes the trauma fest off (though I appreciate that is often the only practical solution).

Oddly enough, I don't have the same issue with records. I think they look nice if suitably racked.

Strange I know.

What is your perfect system layout?

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Active speakers -like the ones I have now- and wisa wireless (no more cables). Was too expensive to upgrade. Expect it to be the next big thing and get cheaper quickly. :)

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I think there's a place for either solution. I'm lucky enough to have a hifi room, with hifi at one end on one of those multiple hole ikea units (having found the Atacama Equinox race I had didn't make a difference), with records in it, and one chair for listening.

The one condition my wife gave in order for us to get the TV was no visible wires or boxes. So it sits on a low unit with black glass doors behind which the other boxes sit. Nothing else is allowed on the unit. So with the very thin TV, and the blacked out unit, it looks very minimalist. In my humble opinion, it does look pretty awesome.

Looks like this. Couldn't be happier with it.

image.jpg2_4.jpg

jjbomber

drummerman said:
Still, personally, I like minimalism, smallness, cuteness.

What is your perfect system layout?

1. Change the drums for a harmonica!!!

2. Marshall PA system. I just love the sound of live music. In the real world, big floorstanding speakers and cables everywhere! So Naim n-Vi for the TV room, Naim Uniti for music, Naim Unitilite for bedroom and Naim Nac92/Nap90 for the kitchen. That's right, I'm a Naim dropper.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
A nice little Nagra system with a pair of HL-P3's (and TT) would do me. Covetable ... .

I hear live music all the time and can't/dont want it at home.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
+1 on the preference for bijoux minimalism. I don't mind showing off one statement piece e.g. a nice looking amp, and hiding the rest away, but if you are going for a rack of equipment, matching half width systems like Cyrus / Bel Canto can look good. Pet hate is visible spaghetti cabling strewn across the floor and non matching components.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Is to blend in with rustic space. I hate the hifi shop look and pieces must blend in. My own opinion only.
Although i dont own a turntable, I do agree that a good looking turn table does look tasteful.

Dont you all think there is a fine line between taste and tacky regards hifi in the living room?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Yes I do Andrewjt.

Personally I don't like the Hifi to be the centre/focal point of a living room but many do.

There are some truly garstly (imho) examples, usually involving humungous speakers and layer upon layer of Mana Equipment stands with umpteen different sized components from as many different manufacturers.

Oddly enough, there are quite a few Naim systems which comprise many boxes and I don't feel too offended. Some have been integrated in rather tasteful ways.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Yes I do Andrewjt.

Personally I don't like the Hifi to be the centre/focal point of a living room but many do.

There are some truly garstly (imho) examples, usually involving humungous speakers and layer upon layer of Mana Equipment stands with umpteen different sized components from as many different manufacturers.

Oddly enough, there are quite a few Naim systems which comprise many boxes and I don't feel too offended. Some have been integrated in rather tasteful ways.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
my local hifi shop had a Linn/Naim/PMC system which after all the various power supplies were added came to about 14 boxes, crazy (and very pricey) but it looked rather neat with all the green naim logos lit up.

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
I agree. Closed back shelf units for both the sitting room AV kit and the HiFi with small apertures for the wires so no cable are visible. Speaker cables all run under the edge of the carpet or in the plaster. I realise ventilation is better with open backed units but I don't want anything that looks like London Underground wired it up in my house.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
My best compromise system would be the one that's the best tool for the job. The job of getting the most enjoyable sound from my music collection. All done with the minimum loss of money in the long term.

That's all it is. A tool for converting my vinyl, tapes and CD's into sound.

Just as my house is a tool for giving me and my family a nest whilst giving us money in the long term.

My car is a tool for transporting me, my goods and any passengers from A to B in comfort, safety, reliability without excessive wastage of money.

And my electric drill is a tool for making holes in things...

I'm off to the What Hand Tools forum now, to discuss chucks, drill bits and mains leads. And to argue with the guys that like their drills to look nice on their racks.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
nice veneer, not big, crystal clear sound, massive headroom speakers, no visible electronics in a cosy room with no tv in between the speakers, comfy sofa, remote control, fluid app to browse thru the library, persian carpet, shelves full of books, pictures on the wall, sunset facing room..

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
lpv said:
nice veneer, not big, crystal clear sound, massive headroom speakers, no visible electronics in a cosy room with no tv in between the speakers, comfy sofa, remote control, fluid app to browse thru the library, persian carpet, shelves full of books, pictures on the wall, sunset facing room..

But in uk sunrise more important for us (me) in morning not to feel depressed.
and its not that often

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
lindsayt said:

I'm off to the What Hand Tools forum now, to discuss chucks, drill bits and mains leads. And to argue with the guys that like their drills to look nice on their racks.

You'll get an unholy row from those guys if you start talking about power tools on a hand tool forum.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
TomSawyer said:
lindsayt said:

You'll get an unholy row from those guys if you start talking about power tools on a hand tool forum.

What about a power tool that fits into the hand?

masterblaster

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site
I do consider my own system as very minimalistic, although I do not use analog sources which saves some real estate. It's a compact 2.1 full range active system with digital room correction and only one source, a mini PC. De KEF X300A has an integrated USB DAC and amplifiers which saves components, and I have let them modified with a subwoofer output to get full range sound. The room correction software made the integration of the subwoofer very easy and elevated the overall sound quality considerably while saving the cost and material for acoustic treatment.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts