next upgrade from ls50 wireless 2

leemccann1

Sep 2, 2020
Visit site
HI all - im looking to move the above to another room and want a set up that improves on the sound, im happy with the kefs but love the upgrade buzz, also would prefer more bass. I like the look of b&w 705's but will these better the kefs all round? as far as amps go am i better getting an amp with a built in dac like the roksan blak or a different route with an amp and streamer. ill only use either amazon hd or maybe tidal to stream and do not need loads of inputs, ive also considered a power amp, maybe an arcam and an arcam streamer. budget probably £2000/£2500 for speakers and same for amp and streamer (combined) I can accomodate floor standers and like the look of the fyne sp's

Reactions: Babur72

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
HI all - im looking to move the above to another room and want a set up that improves on the sound, im happy with the kefs but love the upgrade buzz, also would prefer more bass. I like the look of b&w 705's but will these better the kefs all round? as far as amps go am i better getting an amp with a built in dac like the roksan blak or a different route with an amp and streamer. ill only use either amazon hd or maybe tidal to stream and do not need loads of inputs, ive also considered a power amp, maybe an arcam and an arcam streamer. budget probably £2000/£2500 for speakers and same for amp and streamer (combined) I can accomodate floor standers and like the look of the fyne sp's

just buy the matching subwoofer. The system will easily outshine any of those speakers with the sub in toe. Kefs will high pass themselves freeing them up from producing bass below 80-60hz. Leading to a cleaner sound.

A subwoofer properly integrated will also augment the rest of the frequency range. Highs will become easier to follow the mids range richer and there more to it then im able describe. A sub isn’t just about the bass. Add in an eq on top of that you’ll be at yet another level.

you will notice that more then spending 2k on speakers and the same again in amp and dac.

DjokoDk

Apr 6, 2022
Visit site
I bought a pair of KEF Wireless 2's a couple of months back, with the new subwoofer and the connector as well.

I am disappointed. Not by the sound - they sound absolutely great when they want to play. But how extremely poor the bluetooth and wireless hardware is in the speakers. They suck big time!

I don't understand they get so good reviews, because i honestly have trouble with them playing continuously for half a day. Then i need to fiddle with something and reconnect etc.

Should I buy again, it would go for something else. Don't care if they win awards and are praised for their sound - they can't even keep a stable connection.

And the thing about not being able to play on a pair of speakers that supports bluetooth, without wifi is just ridiculous and completely infantile.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
I bought a pair of KEF Wireless 2's a couple of months back, with the new subwoofer and the connector as well.

I am disappointed. Not by the sound - they sound absolutely great when they want to play. But how extremely poor the bluetooth and wireless hardware is in the speakers. They suck big time!

I don't understand they get so good reviews, because i honestly have trouble with them playing continuously for half a day. Then i need to fiddle with something and reconnect etc.

Should I buy again, it would go for something else. Don't care if they win awards and are praised for their sound - they can't even keep a stable connection.

And the thing about not being able to play on a pair of speakers that supports bluetooth, without wifi is just ridiculous and completely infantile.

There is a lot to unpack here we're taking your word for it that your wifi is stable and isn't being knocked out and or your internet isn't getting saturated. I'd say this isn't the fault of the speakers at all.

Bluetooth is hardly a stable connection at the best of times, it's very easy to make it unstable.

If your wifi is getting knocked out id suggest you need to cycle through your channels on your router to hopefully find a stable one.

if you want to listen for hours uninterrupted hardwire them with an ethernet cable. Its really the only way to get a stable and constant connection. And even then you're at the mercy of Spotify/tidal and their servers and how stable the app is on any given day.

leemccann1

Sep 2, 2020
Visit site
Mine are hard wired into the router and I get no issues, I wouldnt use bluetooth or air play anyway as they sound far worse than using the KEF connect app with amazon HD which is what i use. I got the speakers as I got a good deal for about £1800 new but the only issue I have is the upgrade path as effectively ill need to buy a whole new system to match the performance, where as I should have maybe got the passive ones with a cambridge amp and streamer but the cost would still be significantly higher. They do sound great and I also use a montior audio silver sub sometimes which is usually connected to my av system. Ive considered the KC62 sub but at £1400 im not sure its the best way to go as again id be stuck with limited upgrade potential, would £4000 be better spent on bigger speakers and an amp with a DAC? Im intrigued by power amps and a streamer as I only ever stream music, an arcam PA240 and ST60 streamer is around £3500, then obvisouly the cost of speakers( I like the B & W 705s2) but would this be a significant upgrade?

ultraminiature

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
The all in one speaker solution saves costs and provides better value for the money over researching and testing a load of separate boxes. The downside is no tweaking. The upside is no tweaking.

The biggest issue is when the need for a different input (wired or wireless) and when all the streaming service stop and different ones replace them. They also lack the flexibility to go from stereo to surround and lack with video sources on most is an issue not fully reported. Some of the workarounds are a mess of added in boxes and cables.

For upscaling, mixing and matching stick with passive speakers or active analogue speakers. The down side is that they may not have DSP, room correction and are bigger than a full DSP speaker can get away with - LS60 can not be made as passive speakers would be awful so the designer claims. LS Meta and LS50 II both work, different parameters in design.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts