Next steps for my system...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I currently use my PS3 + Caiman as a source into a NAD 352 connected to a pair of Wharfedale 9.1 speakers. I use this for music and films and I'm pretty happy with it. I don't listen at huge volumes and so power-wise the NAD has ample amounts of power (the volume dial rarely gets past 9 o'clock). The NAD has a "big" effortless sound with lots of confidence that I like compared to my old Denon PMA-255 which I felt was a little bit thin sounding. My unhappiness with the Denon lead me to cart all my gear to my local hi-fi shop and switch bits of equipment around until I settled on swapping it for the NAD.

I've really enjoyed this setup for the last 12 months or so, however I can't help feeling that the sound could be a little more "open" with more presence and headroom. Also I sometimes find the sound is slightly too restrained in the dynamics department.

Just looking for ideas and suggestions of the kind of stuff I should be auditioning, perhaps with a view to try a home demo of some new speakers or perhaps an upgrade of amp and speakers sometime later this year. In terms of speakers there are certain limitations on placement and styling and so ideally should be sealed / front-ported and available with a natural oak / light oak finish.

Thanks!

Gareth

T

the record spot

Think I might be inclined towards a better speaker upgrade before clapping hands on a new amp. Depends on your budget of course, but there are some decent standmounters to be had. The new Diamond at £200 of course, I think the Epos M5s are going on deals just now, further up the scale, there's the Dynaudio range as well, which used to have a good reputation for a big sound as well.

TRENDING THREADS