Next Earphones now my Shure 535 are Breaking

Sciolist

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm happy with these earphones and they're the best that I've owned. The problem is that the wires on both sides are beginning to fray and fall out of my Shure 535. I've had them since Aug 2011 and use them for several hours a day, so that's fine (though if this is fixable, does anyone have any suggestions of where I could get that done?)

Before that I had Westone UMX3 but the build quality wasn't that good and they broke pretty quickly. Before that, Etymotic ER-4P which were fine too, but the sound quality was not as good as the Westone or the Shure.

Does anyone have any recommendations for me please? I'm fine spending ~£350 and bass response is probably more interesting to me than to most people.

bobshek

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Shure won't do anything having been in that position before.

They will only offer you a small discount on their existing range..... but you'll find the discount is moot as you can find them cheaper elsewhere.

What I ended up doing though as I was in the same exact situation as you with the same exact IEMs was sending them to a company and having them made custom shelled.

Basically, you get moulds done of your ears, you send those moulds along with your 530s to a company, they take all the necessary bits out and put them into a brand new mould of your ear in acrylic, they also give you the option of having removable cables (2 pin termination). All of this comes to roughly £140 or so including the £40 for the moulds by a audiologist and P&P.

You basically get a pair of perfect fitting Custom ear pieces like the popstars use.... that sound like the IEMs you love..... with replaceable cables which don't cost that much...... for not that silly amount of money in the grand scheme of things.

(Companies that do this are people like Inearz, Unique Melody, 1964 Ears, to name but a few.)

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
bobshek said:
Shure won't do anything having been in that position before.

They will only offer you a small discount on their existing range..... but you'll find the discount is moot as you can find them cheaper elsewhere.

What I ended up doing though as I was in the same exact situation as you with the same exact IEMs was sending them to a company and having them made custom shelled.

Basically, you get moulds done of your ears, you send those moulds along with your 530s to a company, they take all the necessary bits out and put them into a brand new mould of your ear in acrylic, they also give you the option of having removable cables (2 pin termination). All of this comes to roughly £140 or so including the £40 for the moulds by a audiologist and P&P.

You basically get a pair of perfect fitting Custom ear pieces like the popstars use.... that sound like the IEMs you love..... with replaceable cables which don't cost that much...... for not that silly amount of money in the grand scheme of things.

(Companies that do this are people like Inearz, Unique Melody, 1964 Ears, to name but a few.)

Absolutely the right thing to do, a bit of cash but if you love something then why not.

Good luck.

Sciolist

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the original suggestion - I sent them back to Shure and they replaced the cable for £31.50. They received them on Monday and I just got them back by courier today. Sadly I hadn't read the second suggestion, but that sounds like a very good idea for next time (or for anyone googeling)

TRENDING THREADS