News section of website - Page not found

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Seems to be a problem with the news Landing Page - if you can get beyond it to the individual stories, for example using the links on the home page, they work fine. Will alert those who know about these things, and apologies.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Hello there Mr Everard,

For about over a week now, when I log on, I cannot change my signature setting, although I can still write to forum topics. Can you correct this please? When I log on, it takes me to the page asking for two passwords, as though I wanted to change my password, which I don't always want to do. I just want to be able to edit my signature please.

I realise that this may not be the ideal place for my query, but I did try to post this on the "USING THE NEW FORUMS" thread, but that thread is "sticky", whatever that means, and so my post did not appear there. I also wrote a normal email to soundadvice@whathifi.com, but got only a standard reply indicating that the solution to my problem might be in the Forums or in the Sound Advice section. It isn't. Help please!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
I did try to post this on the "USING THE NEW FORUMS" thread, but that thread is "sticky", whatever that means, and so my post did not appear there

It did appear, and I replied to it. Basically I said that the change password option and change signature are on the same page, so if you're seeing one you should be seeing the other.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
Son_of_SJ said:
I did try to post this on the "USING THE NEW FORUMS" thread, but that thread is "sticky", whatever that means, and so my post did not appear there

It did appear, and I replied to it. Basically I said that the change password option and change signature are on the same page, so if you're seeing one you should be seeing the other.

Thank you for the replies, Mr Everard. Alas, still not all is well. The problem with the change password page, which indeed has the section for signature, is that my signature, on that page alone though not in the forum replies, appears as completely blank! Previously, about a fortnight ago, the (very!) full text of my signature would appear on the change password/change signature page. Now, when I access that page, something approximating my signature in low-level computer script does indeed appear in the signature box, but for only about four seconds. It then vanishes, leaving the signature box completely blank. Previously, the full text of my signature remained in the box for me to edit if I wished. And I do now wish.

Further, when I go to the "About the new site" link, the "USING THE NEW FORUMS" topic is the second one listed, showing as a "Sticky" thread, with only one reply, by The_Lhc, on 03/10/2011 - 13:22. When I click on the link, The_Lhc's brief reply is indeed the only one that appears, and underneath his reply, it says "Topic locked". I do remember previously that many people had replied to your intial posting about how to use the new forums, with jocular comments about not being able to edit a contribution once someone else had replied, but I assure you, I cannot now see those other replies, I can see only your initial posting and the reply by The_Lhc on 10th March at 1:22pm. So I cannot see either my query to you there, nor indeed your reply. If it helps at all, I have taken screen saves of the offending pages, and I could email them to enable you to see what I am seeing.

I realise that my experience as an external user may differ from what you can see from within the What HiFi computer system.

I would still like to be able to edit my existing signature ......

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
Thank you for the replies, Mr Everard. Alas, still not all is well. The problem with the change password page, which indeed has the section for signature, is that my signature, on that page alone though not in the forum replies, appears as completely blank! Previously, about a fortnight ago, the (very!) full text of my signature would appear on the change password/change signature page. Now, when I access that page, something approximating my signature in low-level computer script does indeed appear in the signature box, but for only about four seconds. It then vanishes, leaving the signature box completely blank. Previously, the full text of my signature remained in the box for me to edit if I wished. And I do now wish.

I suspect you have a caching problem within your browser, in that it's reloading a version of the page from memory rather than refreshing it complete from the servers. It caould also be a glitch in your browswer, perhaps caused by a recent update, that's allowing you to see the HTML code momentarily, but then not resolving the 'public' version of the text.

Son_of_SJ said:
Further, when I go to the "About the new site" link, the "USING THE NEW FORUMS" topic is the second one listed, showing as a "Sticky" thread, with only one reply, by The_Lhc, on 03/10/2011 - 13:22. When I click on the link, The_Lhc's brief reply is indeed the only one that appears, and underneath his reply, it says "Topic locked". I do remember previously that many people had replied to your intial posting about how to use the new forums, with jocular comments about not being able to edit a contribution once someone else had replied, but I assure you, I cannot now see those other replies, I can see only your initial posting and the reply by The_Lhc on 10th March at 1:22pm. So I cannot see either my query to you there, nor indeed your reply. If it helps at all, I have taken screen saves of the offending pages, and I could email them to enable you to see what I am seeing.

I realise that my experience as an external user may differ from what you can see from within the What HiFi computer system.

I would still like to be able to edit my existing signature ......

The whole thread to which you replied is here, under Home Cinema, complete with 253 replies to date. There is a second copy under About the New Site, which is the one you're now looking at.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
I suspect you have a caching problem within your browser, in that it's reloading a version of the page from memory rather than refreshing it complete from the servers. It caould also be a glitch in your browswer, perhaps caused by a recent update, that's allowing you to see the HTML code momentarily, but then not resolving the 'public' version of the text.

On 13th December I (eventually!) changed my computer operating system from Internet Explorer 6 to Internet Explorer 8. It has generally been a very positive experience, but there have been some quirks, of which my problem on this site may be one! Perhaps I'll try logging on to this site from another computer and see what happens. I've already tried switching my computer completely off (at the electric mains and pulling out the plug) and on again.

Andrew Everard said:
The whole thread to which you replied is here, under Home Cinema, complete with 253 replies to date. There is a second copy under About the New Site, which is the one you're now looking at.

I CAN now see the whole thread using your link, but I couldn't see the whole thread from the Forum headlines. Thanks for your help. I'll see if another computer improves things!

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
John Duncan said:
www.whathifi.com/forum/about-the-new-site/important-notice-internet-explorer-users

Andrew Everard said:
Son_of_SJ said:
On 13th December I (eventually!) changed my computer operating system from Internet Explorer 6 to Internet Explorer 8

As JD has already intimated, 'Aha!'

Thank you muchly, Messrs Everard and Duncan, and I trust that you both have a happier New Year than I will. Alas for me, the link about compatability mode (and the other three links related to it) applies only to Internet Explorer 9. I am using IE8, which does not have even the words "compatability mode" in its help index! So, I still have my unmodified signature.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts