Newby upgrade advice please

jnmann

May 13, 2016
Visit site
Hi everyone, popped along in the hope you good people can give me some advice on a possible upgrad eroute please.

Currently running an old system, Rega Planer 3, Cambridge Audio A4 Amp. Eltax Symphony 6.2's. Just read that the speakers are worth pretty much nowt but still sound ok to me! I guess that maybe says something about my 'listening' expertese :)

I love the Rega TT and treat it as the 3rd child I never had. It's fitted with the Rega Elys 2 cart which seems to get decent reviews. So my thoughts are maybe to leave the TT alone rather than throw money at a Project etc.

Amp I know is no doubt weak link in the system and obviously speakers are somewhat outdated.

I do have a Cambridge Audio CD player but I'm only really interested in getting the most out of my vinyl. I intend to take usual steps, spikes, isolation, proper mains filter, cables and so on but would like some general advice on speakers and amps please. Not looking to spend a fortune but would like to make a noticable difference and take the next step up hopefully. Floorstanders or stand mount, not too worried.

Also looking at getting an Okki Nokki to keep the vinyls in tip top unless someone can recommended an alternative? i see the Project not getting too good reviews.

Thank you in anticiaption!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
jnmann said:
Hi everyone, popped along in the hope you good people can give me some advice on a possible upgrad eroute please.

Currently running an old system, Rega Planer 3, Cambridge Audio A4 Amp. Eltax Symphony 6.2's. Just read that the speakers are worth pretty much nowt but still sound ok to me! I guess that maybe says something about my 'listening' expertese :)

I love the Rega TT and treat it as the 3rd child I never had. It's fitted with the Rega Elys 2 cart which seems to get decent reviews. So my thoughts are maybe to leave the TT alone rather than throw money at a Project etc.

Amp I know is no doubt weak link in the system and obviously speakers are somewhat outdated.

I do have a Cambridge Audio CD player but I'm only really interested in getting the most out of my vinyl. I intend to take usual steps, spikes, isolation, proper mains filter, cables and so on but would like some general advice on speakers and amps please. Not looking to spend a fortune but would like to make a noticable difference and take the next step up hopefully. Floorstanders or stand mount, not too worried.

Also looking at getting an Okki Nokki to keep the vinyls in tip top unless someone can recommended an alternative? i see the Project not getting too good reviews.

How much money do you have to spend? What size room? What sort of music?

BigH said:
jnmann said:

How much money do you have to spend? What size room? What sort of music?

As bigH above. I would save your money on a record cleaner unless you have an awful lot of dirty vinyl. Get a manual Knosti Disco Antistat if you must but improve your cartridge. This would give you more money for amp and / or speakers.

.....and welcome to the forum.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
I recently tried a Tangospinner in my old 1983 Planar 3, with the Carbon cartridge, have now got it in my RP3, and it certainly improved the sound, with better difinition, more detail at all levels, night-and-day better, and consider it's a very worthwhile upgrade, on both decks. It's more affordable than the Groovetracer, and, according to others, there's not a great difference between them.

jnmann

May 13, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for your replies. Fairly small room, be lucky to get 10 feet away whilst listening.

Budget quite open, been looking at monitor audios bronze 2 and Cambridge cxa60 or Onkyo A9020 which would he around £500.....if this would be step up? Maybe £500 for an amp. Prefer simple amps, no fuss :)

Did consider the rega exact cart but wondered if it was worth spending on the TT. Thought about wiring upgrade on the TT to help improve?

jnmann

May 13, 2016
Visit site
Got an old version of that cleaner but will look at a new one :)

Music wise, Genesis, Marillion, not much else lol.....maybe a little Cure....and back to previous!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
jnmann said:
Thank you for your replies. Fairly small room, be lucky to get 10 feet away whilst listening.

Budget quite open, been looking at monitor audios bronze 2 and Cambridge cxa60 or Onkyo A9020 which would he around £500.....if this would be step up? Maybe £500 for an amp. Prefer simple amps, no fuss :)

Did consider the rega exact cart but wondered if it was worth spending on the TT. Thought about wiring upgrade on the TT to help improve?

Think there are better cartridges than Rega for the same money. That sort of budget maybe a Rega Brio R, ex demo? Used Arcam A19? I think wiring will make less difference.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
GeoffreyW said:
I recently tried a Tangospinner in my old 1983 Planar 3, with the Carbon cartridge, have now got it in my RP3, and it certainly improved the sound, with better difinition, more detail at all levels, night-and-day better, and consider it's a very worthwhile upgrade, on both decks. It's more affordable than the Groovetracer, and, according to others, there's not a great difference between them.

Been reading good things about the Tangospinner, how much does it cost?

matthewpiano

The Brio-R suggestion is an excellent one. Fuss-free (which you asked for), and a brilliantly entertaining amp, with an excellent phono stage that works beautifully with the Elys2. BTW, I know some people seem to have something against Rega carts, but I think the Elys2 is brilliant. To improve on it I think you'd need to look at Dynavector carts, but you can get much more out of your Elys2 yet, by upgrading amp and speakers.

As for speakers, there isn't much the little Rega won't cope with. Dynaudio is an excellent match, and their Emit 10s (the new replacement for the DM2/6 I have) would be worth a listen. KEF also work very well with Rega so look at Q-Series and R-Series. I had Q100s for a while and they sounded superb with the Rega, but the DM2/6 edged them in the end.

K

keeper of the quays

Maybe change amp to a second hand roksan? I wouldn't change anything else..see how speakers sound with new amp? A eraser sponge and distilled water is effective at cleaning records..I don't hold with huge differences, carts make? Keep your cart..if speakers still are unsatisfactory after amp change? Dynaudio are very good..wharfdale diamonds 9 are cheaper and exceptional for the money.

matthewpiano

keeper of the quays said:
Maybe change amp to a second hand roksan? I wouldn't change anything else..see how speakers sound with new amp? A eraser sponge and distilled water is effective at cleaning records..I don't hold with huge differences, carts make? Keep your cart..if speakers still are unsatisfactory after amp change? Dynaudio are very good..wharfdale diamonds 9 are cheaper and exceptional for the money.
Agree the Diamond 9.1s are exceptional for the money, but they are a long way off the Dynaudios. I've owned both and there is no way I would go back to Diamond 9.1s now. The difference in drive unit quality alone is huge.

matthewpiano said:
Agree the Diamond 9.1s are exceptional for the money, but they are a long way off the Dynaudios. I've owned both and there is no way I would go back to Diamond 9.1s now. The difference in drive unit quality alone is huge.

But then you might expect that from speakers costing three times as much. ;-)

K

keeper of the quays

matthewpiano said:
well? I'm not that convinced..i own 902i and Dynaudio 40s and 42s...And through my main kit? The differences narrowed somewhat! I agree if it were me? I would pitch for the Dyns..but a newbie on limited budget? Wharfdale are good value!

jnmann

May 13, 2016
Visit site
Diamond do seem very good value. Would these improve on the Eltax?

Looking at upgrades for the Rega, platten, tonearm rewire etc. Is it worth throwing money at this? Better left alone or better to replace? My heads been turned by the clearaudio concept....bit more than I'd intended but might be better saving towards this?

jnmann

May 13, 2016
Visit site
I notice none of the amps are capable of bi wiring, is this no longer a benefit?

Roksan look like good equipment, any suggestions on models please? K2 for example?

Biwiring is not worth the bother or extra cash.....and any amp is capable of biwiring....you just join the two runs of wire together (with - polarity joined to -and + polarity joined to +.making sure you mark the cable on both sides if it's not already done.it makes no sonic difference what so ever, bi-amping will reap some improvements but that's a lot of outlay for not much return in my experience.Also roksan make some fine amps and my money would go to a second hand caspian rather than a new kandy but that's just me trying to get as much bang for buck as possible.

jnmann

May 13, 2016
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
That could be a power amp your looking at.
Doh, of course :-( silly me.

How does the Roksan stack up to the Rega? Would either be better with the speakers discussed?

Any comments on my turntable post please?

Surprised to hear biwiring not worth it and amps not having additional ports as in speakers.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
jnmann said:
I notice none of the amps are capable of bi wiring, is this no longer a benefit?

Roksan look like good equipment, any suggestions on models please? K2 for example?

Its not the amp its the speakers that can or can't be biwired, I agree with others a waste of money, can introduce phase problems, best to use single cable.

As for Rega Brio R v Roksan Caspian, not heard the Caspian buts in a different price range, its £1,500 v £500, the Roksan will be better all the time, it not just about power but control, the Brio is a good budget amp but it has its limitations, even going up to the next price bracket to say Arcam A19 and Creek 50A you should notice a difference.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts