Question Newbie upgrade question!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
The sensible conclusion is that when you replace any part of a system, you spend some time acclimatising to how it sounds - different speakers (for example) may sound better with some tracks and worse with others.

Personally I'm wary about tinkering too much with old equipment, and about any part of advice which is given in capitals! And about utterly emphatic advice, given by anyone who hasn't heard all of your kit - the latter part certainly applies to me, and probably to everyone else here.

Don't worry too much about not feeling like you know an enormous amount - just see how you get on - with the sensible caveat made earlier about not going for Motorhead levels of volume from the off.

Reactions: Hebden Hedgehog
Just so, I wonder if anyone has actually heard this NAD with a pair of AR5's.....
If they have I'd guess it was a long time ago. I remember hearing AR speakers in Laskys circa 1978. Cannot recall what amp or how they sounded.

It is amazing what people have stashed away: I've still got my Wharfedale E20, Garrard B20 table and Marantz tuner in the attic. Pretty much from the same era.

Problem is, which is fairly unique, we can't advise the OP any further until:
1) the speakers work
2) if they're any good with his NAD amp
3) if no good with the amp, he'll need to work out his max budget.
unfortunately another member of this forum believes he knows otherwise.
The speakers are free so doesn't matter whether or not they work...
His NAD 'receiver' appears to still work......
Is 25wpc enough to drive his free speakers?
I very much doubt it....

Gray

... circa 1978.
It is amazing what people have stashed away: I've still got my Wharfedale E20, Garrard B20 table and Marantz tuner in the attic. Pretty much from the same era.
...still got my JVC KD-21 cassette deck, pretty sure I bought it in 1978 (44 years ago 😱) from Comet.
Bought other stuff from Laskys.
Bring back Laskys.

Anyway, back to the thread subject......

Reactions: plastic penguin
unfortunately another member of this forum believes he knows otherwise.
The speakers are free so doesn't matter whether or not they work...
His NAD 'receiver' appears to still work......
Is 25wpc enough to drive his free speakers?
I very much doubt it....
It's presumptuous for that member to confidently state a ancient NAD is better than a a modern Marantz.

This is why I'm cautious as the OP needs to test those ARs and take it from there. Too many uncertainties as it stands.

Hebden Hedgehog

Jun 25, 2022
Visit site
OK. I have got my hands on them!

They are what I would call original condition, undisturbed. But obviously in need of refoaming if nothing else. I'll try to load up images

Thing is, it's it going to be worth doing the work? I've looked at a couple of videos and although the process isn't mind blowing is it worth just finding someone to refoam professionally?

One thing is that there is a load of paperwork here too... 😁

I see they have loaded here in a fairly random manner. No doubt you can work it out...

Cheers, James
IMG_20220702_134818.jpgIMG_20220702_134759.jpgIMG_20220702_134735.jpgIMG_20220702_134702.jpgIMG_20220702_134657.jpgIMG_20220702_134557.jpgIMG_20220702_134919.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220702_134549.jpg
    IMG_20220702_134549.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 2
That mid range unit looks well dodgy too, but lovely to see these again. My first ever speakers were its baby brother, the AR4xa, finished in teak. Those knurled cable fasteners and tweeter adjustment are very familiar!

The history was fascinating and the sound was engaging if a bit dull. I don’t know who can advise you on repairs etc but I wish you well.

Gray

They are what I would call original condition
What, that's the description you'd put with those photos on e-bay is it James?
'Original condition' 🤣
Seriously, I know you mean every part is original 👍

In employment and spare time, my life has been about repairing things. I have an aversion to throwing things away - I just can't do it.
However, in your case.....I might make an exception 😒
In terms of the component parts, you'd effectively be starting again with that project.
It's possible that the demand for vintage gear might make repair / resale a viable option.
But if you want something decent-sounding for yourself, I reckon you should be looking at some of todays high value speakers.

Hebden Hedgehog

Jun 25, 2022
Visit site
Funnily enough I've just returned from our local richer sounds branch,( mainly to buy speakers for my mum who's speakers it turns out are even worse than the AR-5s! No sale as I realised that if I get the AR-5s working then my current old Missions will be fine for her.)... and the bloke there said much the same (not surprisingly maybe). Said the time and effort going into 50 year old stuff probably wasn't going to reward. Better to sell on, and out the money into modern floor standers (recommended Dali something or other), at c. £750... Is that the kind of spend to be looking at?

He did say my old NAD would be fine though...

Reactions: Gray

Gray

£750... Is that the kind of spend to be looking at?
I was actually thinking less, but if you have that sort of budget then great, you're still well within great value territory.

A mate is currently considering floorstanders for an old Marantz amp.
I suggested he should think about Triangle BR08 and compare them to Dali Oberon 5.
I haven't heard either, but if I was looking for floorstanders, that's what I'd do.
Richer should have both in store for you to compare.
(There's another member here waiting for some Dali standmounters at present - due to stock shortage.....so you might have to wait).

Hebden Hedgehog

Jun 25, 2022
Visit site
Triangle were also mentioned.

Both in stock in Stockport!

My budget is rather less, depends on the value of the AR-5s! 😁, and indeed on my wife, who doesn't know of my grand plan...

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS