Newbie to home cinema

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I have a 2400es (my 1st surround amp) and it was a doddle to set up, so don't understand that at all.

A

Anonymous

How did you guess? lol they seem to tell you a different story everytime you call. Everyone has a different opinion. I'm going to get the Jamos no matter what. The receiver i'm struggling with at the moment.

I've read the sony's are bright! Think I'm going to have to stretch the budget and go for the onkyo 508 or maybe yamaha 467. I don't know, think I might just go in store and buy whichever is in stock!! lol Don't think I should do that though. I'll regret it :)

A

Anonymous

I'm definately starting to lean towards getting the Sony STR-DA2400ES based on advice on this and other forums. As a total newbie myself, I needed convincing I wasn't about to make a mistake getting a ~2yr old amp that would be a nightmare for someone of my experience to setup. I think those concerns are pretty much addressed, so now onto choosing some speakers!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Good decision, and in the unlikely event of problems connecting, just put a post on here and I'm sure there will be people able to help

A

Anonymous

Which speaker cable should I go for? I'm getting the Yamaha 467 and the Jamo a102. I need approx 27 metres. I've been told qed ultra micro. Is this too good for the speakers I'm getting?

A

Anonymous

How would I connect up my old school Humax PVR 9200T to one of these bad boys (Sony DA2400ES)? At the moment it's scart straight into my TV (no component out)... Would the video upscaling likely be any better than my Samsung LE40C650 TV? (i.e. would it be worth going through the amp in the first place?)

A

Anonymous

I finally went out and got the Jamos and the Yamaha 467. Along with them I bought Qed (for xbox 360) 3m & 5m Hdmi cables (will these be ok for connecting to my ps3 and sky + hd?), cambridge audio 7.5m sub lead, Ixos 5m optical lead and 27m speaker (cambridge audio ultra micro).

I was about to set this all up last night to find, I need some screws to mount the speakers on the wall! :( I will go out this morning and purchase some. The other thing I found was no instruction manual for the Jamos!! I will be calling the store about this.

I am a little confused in connecting the sub. I know I have to connect the sub lead to the left line in, but then there is speaker line in which has L & R, and also the - and +. According to the manual on Jamos website, (well the diagram shows) speaker line out from the receiver and the other ends into the sub? Do I need to do this or not? And if I do, which do I connect here? Also I will need to purchase more speaker wire if I need to use this.

I was thinking of positioning the sub next to the sofa on back wall (where the rears are) so it's out of the way.

Please someone help as I want to get it all up and running today.

Another question is, will the hdmi leads they sold me be ok as they say 1.3 on them? The one i'm using at the minute is a monster 2m cable which looks like has more pins in the connector (they same shape on the new ones).

Thanks guys

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
You only need to connect the sub woofer or lfe line output to the sub. You don't also need to connect anything to the speaker level inputs of the sub.

The sub positioning might be OK there, but it will strengthen the bass, and might make it boom, and you might be able to localise the bass sound more because you're next to it. Try it out. If you can put the sub where your prime listenieng position is and walk around while something plays. There will be a position where the bass sounds best and this should be where you put the sub if possible.

Don't worry about the leads. I read something about this and the lead testing levels don't follow the HDMI specification numbers in terms of specification. A 1.3c lead will be fine.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Kinda. I got it all set up last night :) I am going to keep the sub next to the sofa (keep missus happy). Install went well. Going to test it tomorrow properly with 'How to train a dragon'. Going to watch a movie now but got to keep it down (don't want to upset the neighbours)!

I'm very pleased with the sound but may have to tweak slightly. What's the best settings for the receiver and the fat ps3? I'm sure I have the ps3 sending out linear sound (Is this right)?

I connected everything up and guess what? My SKy HD box has broken!! Luckily, I have 2 weeks left on the warranty so will be getting a new one off Sky :) Talk about timing.

Thanks guys for all your input and suggestions.

Tom

TRENDING THREADS