Newbie to home cinema

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm just about to buy my first 5.1 system and just after a few pointers.

I'm thinking of buying the jamo a102 for my speakers and for the amp, I have two choices:-

Onkyo sr508

Sony Dh800

There is quite a difference in price between the two. I can stretch to the onkyo but am wondering if it's worth the extra? I will be using the system purely for movies and games. I have a ps3 and sky+ hd which will also be connected to it.

The onkyo has 3d and 100w channel whereas the sony has 85w channel and no 3d. I'm not bothered about 3d and will not be purchasing 3d. They both play all hd formats which is a must. I will use the ps3 for blu-ray.

What do you guys and girls think? Should I buy the sony and save money (christmas is round the corner too) or pay the extra for the onkyo? Is there going to be a lot of difference in the onkyo apart from the 3d which isn't required?

I have called a supplier and they are keen to sell me the onkyo :)

Thanks all

Tom

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps I am being cynical, but it could well be that they are making much more profit on the Onkyo.

The Sony is being very heavily discounted so they would make very little on it. The Sony is a good amp and should do exacly what you want, it also is 7.1 enabled should you wish to go down that route.

A

Anonymous

Thankyou for your reply mate. I've just got to find one that's available. Hopefully should be able to find one :)

Tom

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Richersounds reckon they have a few left, worth phoning them.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

ah, didn't think of the 1000 model. Lot nicer to look at too, plus upscaling is better if connecting old x box, or wii

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Sony STR-DA2400ES is worth considering, it's a What Hi-Fi 5 star amp, and as an owner I can honestly say it's a corker.

Amazon have it for £250 at the moment, I paid £500 and I consider it a value for money purchase.

Check the reviews page, and have a look at other professional online reviews, you won't be disappointed

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW:
Sony STR-DA2400ES is worth considering, it's a What Hi-Fi 5 star amp, and as an owner I can honestly say it's a corker.

Amazon have it for £250 at the moment, I paid £500 and I consider it a value for money purchase.

Check the reviews page, and have a look at other professional online reviews, you won't be disappointed

I agree. This amp is fantastic for the money it is going for now and is far superior than both amps mentioned.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the heads up. Would I be ok with the sony dn100 and the jamo's? I like the look of the dn100 and I can use the £50 I save on leads etc.

It is my first system and am on a budget :)

Will the above be ok for me? I have managed to source both the above and can purchase today :)

Thanks

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I would seriously consider the Str-da2400es for £250. The dn1000 looks nice, and is probably a very good amp, but on performance, the 2400es will beat it hands down. Remember, the es stands for elevated standard.

Your choice, but seriously worth looking in to a little more

A

Anonymous

Hi Bernard,

Would you go for the 2400 es or the onkyo 508? Richer sounds don't do the 2400 es so will have to purchase seperately (not a prob. as i have to do this anyway) :)

Thanks

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I heard the DH800 in France when I went to a cottage there and it had it with Tannoy EFX 5.1 and a projector.

I thought it sounded very good.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I don't know the Onkyo to be honest, though they have a good reputation.

My wife tells me (she's Japanese) that Onkyo products are for people who are only concerned with performance, not the coolness of the product. Onkyo's are a little ugly, but perform well.

The 2400es looks good and sounds good, so it would get my vote

Timbot

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I've got the DH800 plugged into a pair of KEF floorstanders (bi-amped) as fronts, a Mission C77 centre and a pair of monitor audio bookshelves for rears and it sounds pretty good to me! Took a bit of playing in to soften up though! Good bang for your buck! I'd consider the 2400 too though!

A

Anonymous

I tried to buy some kit today but came back with nothing! :(

One of the stores (not mentioning name) were trying to sell me the tannoy sfx 5.1 saying they're this that the other and are better than the jamo a102. I'm not sure about this but at the same time don't like the look of them (I'll have to look at them all the time and would feel like taking them down).

They also kept pushing me to buy an Onkyo receiver (the 578) which upscales to 1080. The only difference according to onkyo's website. They kept telling me they have better components inside etc. etc. I'm not sure but think it's bull about the better components!

I will go for the jamo's as I like the look of them and they have had good reviews.

The only issue is which receiver to go for? The 2400es does look good (I still prefer the look on the dn1000). The receiver will more than likely be out of view so looks don't matter any more.

For now I think I will get my leads from thatcable and get the speaker cable from same place I get the speakers. I don't think qed hdmi leads will make much of a difference (apart from in my pocket), please correct me if i'm wrong.

Thanks again guys

Tom

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

You may want to try these http://www.amazon.co.uk/2METER-Version-15-2Gbps-VIRGIN-PLASMA/dp/B003UNM1LU/ref=sr_1_33?ie=UTF8&qid=12

I think you'd be better off with these hdmi leads as they are 1.3c and not 1.3b like the ones from thatcable.

Again, just an opinion, but build quality will be better and they carry more information, so performance should be better too

It's worth looking around for deals online for your speaker cable too.

I know what you're thinking, you've opened up a mindfield and you wished you hadn't said a thing.

But there are some knowledgable people on here (not me), so it's worth listening to them

I agree with you on the Tannoys, good sound, but ugly as

And stick with the 2400es, it really is a bargain at £250

I'll leave you alone now

A

Anonymous

Cheers Bernard. You're right. I should take all advice and then take it from there. No need to rush as I can wait a little bit longer and for opinions :)

I appreciate your help mate

A

Anonymous

cheers. do I have to register with Amazon? I use ebay so prob same? Anywhere else sell it?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Just simple registration, then obviously some kind of payment card.

You could get the HDMI leads at same time, and if you did have problems, Amazon have decent customer service.

Ebay's ok sometimes, but too many people think it's always cheapest, and it definitely isn't.

Found the Jamo speaker package on there too http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jamo-A102HCS5-Speaker-Package-500W/dp/B000QEB270/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291161888&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jamo-A102HC...B270/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291161888&sr=8-1I'm going to bed now.....

A

Anonymous

will register on there. They're cheaper at richer sounds (only by a tenner) prob cost that in fuel! lol

A

Anonymous

japk:
I tried to buy some kit today but came back with nothing! :(

One of the stores (not mentioning name) were trying to sell me the tannoy sfx 5.1 saying they're this that the other and are better than the jamo a102. I'm not sure about this but at the same time don't like the look of them (I'll have to look at them all the time and would feel like taking them down).

They also kept pushing me to buy an Onkyo receiver (the 578) which upscales to 1080. The only difference according to onkyo's website. They kept telling me they have better components inside etc. etc. I'm not sure but think it's bull about the better components!

Was it Richer Sounds by any chance? I'm looking for amp and 5.1 speakers for ~£500 - When I went there and said I was considering the Sony 2400ES amp and Boston Acoustics XS speakers I was almost laughed at! Apparently the amp is an absolute nightmare to setup (they had lots of returns, but don't sell it anymore.....(perhaps thats why they dont recommend it...)), and the Boston centre speaker is very weak. They really pushed the Onkyo 608 (despite my budget) and the Tannoy SFX speakers - Apparently the centre speaker is much better, but just let down by the looks, hence the low price...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts