newbie - think i need amp and speakers, please advise?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

[quote user="al7478"]Or is the one quoted on the previous page a combined amp/receiver too?

if it is, that seems great vfm, and id probably team it with those Monitor, er, monitors. unless anyone thinks i may aswell go for the cheaper Tannoys...?[/quote]

If you buy NAD C320 BEE, you won't be needing anything else. Excepting the speakers of course
emotion-1.gif

Of the two I'd pick MA.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="ranjeetrain"]
[quote user="al7478"]

thanks. so you mean an amp with a pre-amp too?[/quote]

Simply put, a receiver does everything you need (pre-amps, switches, processes, amplifies). So kind of its a all-in-one thing.

[/quote]

It also has a radio tuner built in.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
ok thanks guys, so the NAD C320 BEE is a receiver as opposed to just an amp...? im going to speak to my local shop in a day or two and talk these isead through with them.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
sorry to bump this but its basicallky the same subject. what do people think of the ideea of ebaying for stuff. im watching 2 sets of speakers and several amps at the moment.

but, considering its hard to find exactly what you want sometimes, plus my inexperience, im finding it hard to know whats what - some are earlier editions of the right kind of thing if you see what i mean - some dont come up when i type exactly the amp i want, but do when i enter a more general search just by the make of the amp.. also, am i right in thinking cambridge audio do one ar two good entyry level amps, after a quick perusal of the last mag...?

A

Anonymous

I wouldn't buy speaker on ebay because with sensitive moving parts they're so hard to know if they're ok. I bought my DVD player 2nd hand, but collected in person and checked it worked when I did.

It's up to you, but an amp if it's guaranteed to work I'd have less of an issue with than speakers.

A

Anonymous

My own via is that really good speakers may outlast your other gear and are worth careful thought and buying with the future in mind. So, yes, i'd buy mine from a shop and I'd do it last of all. Because the choice of speakers will be better made after you've decided what Source and Amp you'll be using. It's the hardest bit of the puzzle to put in place in my view. If the retailer will let you (and most good ones will I think) then take your Source (CD / DVD / HD player) and Amp to the dealer and let them set up a demo for you with your own gear. That way you're listening to the sound you'll be taking home with you. There is just no other way to find out how it'll sound other than a home demo, which desirable as it is, is not very practical with large loudspeakers!

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
sorry to bother you all again, but these are some amps im looking at. i wonder if anyone has any comments, especially in regard to the speakers mentioned a couple pages back, which i intend to pair them with, in all probability.

NAD 310
Nad 320
NAD C350
NAD 3020
NAD C 320BEE 320 BEE
NAD 3020i

Cambridge Audio a500
Cambridge Audio Azur 640A
Cambridge Audio A3i
Cambridge Audio Azur 540R v2
CAMBRIDGE AUDIO A1
CAMBRIDGE AUDIO A5 AMP + AURAL ENVELOPE EX300 SPEAKERS

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
thanks will!

im going to be using my pc as the source, with mp3s.

to be honest, i want to avoid being too detailed with my first foray into real stereo equipment, as long as the consensus is that ill get a huge improvement on my current logitech z2300s, and the sound ill get will differ little between amps and speakers at my lowly level...?

hope that makes sense.

might consider amusic server at some point, or just running a separate pc tower specifically for the purpose, but thats is only a VERY vague feeling i have at the moment - theres much learning to do for me before then!

A

Anonymous

Then take an iPod with you and connect it to a stereo amp and speakers until you find one that sounds best. If your sound card is as good as an iPod, then you'll have equated to the sound you'll bring home. Or some other MP3 player if you prefer. You could go the Sonos route via your PC (or Apple TV) and this gives you another bunch of options, but at a price!

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
funny you should mention sound cards. i just have integrated hi def sound right now - sigmatel audio - , but may get one of the creative music cards very soon indeed. id like to do that and have it connected before i get the other bits - saves connecting stuff twice.

ive tried srs and another audio enhancement prog, wasnt particularly impressed by them, so im trying the sound card route, as ive heard some good online demos.

any opinions on those amps?

A

Anonymous

Nope, haven't looked at amps like that in years. Been all AV for some time! :)

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
just out of interest, does anyone know how old the NAD C320BEE is? I mean, where it stands in the history of NAD amps...? It does'nt matter, im just curious.

A

Anonymous

That's a good amp, respected performer. Good value for money.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="al7478"]Thanks ranjeetrain , but i was thinking more along the lines of is it a recent one...?[/quote]

Something you should avoid. All products of a manufacturer are not the same. Even all products of the same product line may not yield similar performance. For you it is best to stick to tried and tested product with a proven track record. Let alone starters, in hi-fi world, even veterans like to place their bets on tried and tested product, unless they have some money to splash on new products and just have fun with them without bothering about the money.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Forgive me, but im trying to keep most info in this thread til i really know what im doing. the M-AUDIO Audiophile seems quite well respected in these parts. would it be a sensible addition to an amp and speakers such as those mentioned by Andrew on page 1 of this thread? And how would it all connect up?

A

Anonymous

You will not regret by choosing between M-Audio Audiophile and Creative Audigy or better. Different people have different opinions, but I have first hand experience of Creative Audigy and can certainly recommend it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts