Newbie System

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there,

I am just making my first tentative steps into the world of vinyl, and was after some advice from the veterans about how to start and what to start with.

From the research I've done so far I've pencilled in the following:

Rega RP1 ± Performance Pack?

Cambridge Audio Azur 340A 5.1 (A used one is listed nearby for £80)

The some bookshelf speakers for c. £150-200, I've heard good things about Dali Zensor1s and Wharfedales.

Any assistance would be very gratefully received!

John Duncan

Sounds like a good start. Does the 340A have the phono stage in it? It's optional if I remember. If not, I'd choose another amp with a built-in phono stage; there should be plenty available on eBay for the same sort of price.

A

Anonymous

It lists the specs as follows:

Power Output:
40 watts into 8 Ohms
50 watts into 4 Ohms
Input Impedance:
40k Ohms
Loudspeaker Impedance:
4 to 8 Ohms
Line:
380mV
Phono (using optional phono stage):
1.75mV

Total Harmonic Distortion (into 8 Ohms 80% rated power): 0.01%THD at 1kHz
0.09% THD at 20kHz
Frequency Response: 5Hz ? 50 kHz at < 1dB
Bass: +/- 7dB at 80Hz
Treble: +/- 7dB at 20kHz
Signal to Noise Ratio (No weighting): 92dB
Slew rate (into 8 ohms): +/- 20 V/uS
Max. Power Consumption: 345 watts

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
dollie31 said:
Hi there,

I am just making my first tentative steps into the world of vinyl, and was after some advice from the veterans about how to start and what to start with.

From the research I've done so far I've pencilled in the following:

Rega RP1 ± Performance Pack?

Cambridge Audio Azur 340A 5.1 (A used one is listed nearby for £80)

The some bookshelf speakers for c. £150-200, I've heard good things about Dali Zensor1s and Wharfedales.

Any assistance would be very gratefully received!

Strikes me you are allowing to much for a pair of 'Wharfdale Diamond 9.1', Amazon listing them at £99.

You will need a phono stage for a TT, Rega do one as a separate item; 'Rega Fono Mini' @ £85 new, it will plug into one of the 'line stage inputs' of the Cambridge amp, thats if it has not got the optional 'phono stage' already installed? Dont know how much the optional Cambridge phono stage costs?

A Raga RP1 sounds like a good choice to me. Have you allowed for a cartridge? . . . and dont forget to allow a few quid for speaker cable and interconnect, dont worry about fancy expensive cables, basics will be fine for now, same for a cartridge, basic type of moving magnet is OK.

Enjoy . . . CJSF

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Forget the "Performance Pack".

You can buy the better mats seperately (in any colour you like or black) and get the white belt upgrade seperately too. They are cheap additions.

The problem with the performance pack is that it 'locks' you into a Rega Bias cartridge. (Not Rega's 'finest hour' and won't allow future stylus changes or stylus upgrades because all Rega Cartridges have non-removable styli.)

The basic RP1 gets you the Ortofon OM5E (a very good cartridge) and - later on - you can do a simple stylus switch to the OM10 stylus. (Better than a Rega Bias.)

So, having saved that £85, buy the Rega Fono-Mini A2D phono stage instead. (It is £85 as well.)

OR, find a discounted, ex-dem, good second-hand Rega Brio 3 amplifier (you won't need any seperate phono-stage then).

Like this one

Shop around for some decent bookshelf speakers and stands like these JPW Golds. (They normally go for around £25 - £40).

An RP1 basic version with OM5E 'standard' fitted cartridge (plus mat upgrade and belt upgrade), with a nice Brio 3 amp and those JPW Monitor Golds will sound great.

A

Anonymous

Tempted by the Brio 3, although there isnt any delivery available from that eBay seller.

So will probably plump for a used Cambridge Audio Azur 340 (£120) with a new Rega Fono and some 9.1s.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts