Budget system for a newbie

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Ok. So I know nothing about Hi Fi really. I have always dreamed of setting up a half decent system so I am trying to do so on a budget. This is what I am proposing. Am I mad? If so, what am I doing wrong?

Rega RP1 (should I blow the extra cash and get the RP3?)

Marantz PM6004

Marantz CD6004

Speakers - I *have* to put them on a fitted bookshelf jammed in with books. I know, I know. Nothing I can do about it. Q Acoustics 2020i? Or should I splurge on KEF Q300s?

Any help and advice would be very gratefully received.

Scott

John Duncan

Hi Scott, and welcome. I can't help with the turntable (haven't heard the latest regas) but I can help with the rest.

Amp and CD are a good choice, as are The Cambridge 650A and 650C for the same price at Richers (EDIT - though the latter doesn't have a phono stage, scratch that). Either will cope with good speakers, but because of your required positioning you'd probably be best off with a front ported design. Will see if I can compile a list...

matthewpiano

Regarding the turntable, I've got the RP3 and I'd highly recommend it. The RP1 is excellent but the RP3 is much more of a long term purchase and will stand several future upgrades of amp and/or speakers. With the Elys 2 cartridge the better deck sounds wonderful and it tracks even quite difficult vinyl brilliantly. The extra spend goes much further on the turntable than it would with a CD player, though your choice ultimately depends on how much vinyl you already have and how much you intend to buy in the future. If you do go for the RP1, at least go for the Performance Pack. The Bias 2 is considerably nicer sounding than the stock Ortofon.

The Marantz CD and amp are excellent and I don't think you can go wrong with them. I've been delighted with my CD6003 and I also enjoyed the PM6003 when I had it. The 6004s are a step on again (I've heard them a couple of times) so no concerns there from me.

In terms of speakers a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s would work very well. They are still brilliantly capable speakers and should work well in your suggested set-up.

Ultimately my advice is to audition this kit to make sure you get the right equipment to enable you to enjoy your music to its full potential.

John Duncan

Diamond 9.1s is a good call actually. Bargain as well.

KEF Q300 front ported so a possibility but I haven't heard them so can't swear on it.

I'd rule out the 2020 altogether, you do know they're incredibly deep? Found them a bit stodgy as well.

Q-Acoustics-2020i-gloss-blk.jpg

Dali Lektor 1 or 2 yes. 2 quite chunky.

Monitor Audio BX2 (also quite chunky).

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
At the budget end the Lektor 1's are excellent against a wall and very petite too - I had mine wall-mounted - and are my personal preference over the 2's as I found them to be better balanced.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Sizzers said:
At the budget end the Lektor 1's are excellent against a wall and very petite too - I had mine wall-mounted - and are my personal preference over the 2's as I found them to be better balanced.

how are the Rega Sizzers?

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
moon said:
Sizzers said:

how are the Rega Sizzers?

Absolutely perfect, and thank you for asking Moon.The clarity and detail I find quite stunning, as well as being very tight and exceptionally well balanced. The mids/highs really do make me tingle and the bass I find amazing. I don't need it thumping away, so instead you just get this amazing detailed bass which happily picks it's way through the rhythmn. I have them on stands at the moment but intend to wall-mount them at some point, and hopefully I'll be arranging for just one more item today to comlplete everything .

Absolutely perfect, and thank you for asking Moon.

The clarity and detail I find quite stunning, as well as being very tight and exceptionally well balanced. The mids/highs really do make me tingle and the bass I find amazing. I don't need it thumping away, so instead you just get this amazing detailed bass which happily picks it's way through the rhythmn. I have them on stands at the moment but intend to wall-mount them at some point, and hopefully I'll be arranging for just one more item today to complete everything .

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Sizzers said:

+1 for the 1's v 2's -- I also found them better balanced and had success wall-mounting or jammed on shelves with one box on its side!

The 9.1's are great as well--I got a pair for a friend--but a fair bit bigger. Not quite as easy to place but a more full-bodied (and less detailed and refined) sound than the Lektor 1's.

A

Anonymous

What an incredibly helpful lot you are.

I have managed to find some very good bundle deals by buying CD, amp & speakers together. All bundles feature the Marantz amp/CD combo.

The bottom line is that the price is not significantly different between the bundles. So I have a free choice between:

Wharfedale Diamond 9.1

Wharfedale Diamond 10.1

Monitor Audio BX2 (will these cope with being jammed on a shelf?)

I am not going to be able to test run them before purchase, sadly. If they are all roughly the same price - is there a no brain option?

Thanks for all your help!

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
If they weren't going to be jammed on a shelf then I would instantly say BX2, but, I think they need a bit of space around them. Just my findings.

I am surprised you can get them all at roughly the same price since the MA 's are dearer.

If the above is your final shortlist, I would choose the 9.1 's

A

Anonymous

You are right, of course, the BX2s do add to the price. But by just £75, which is only about 10% of the cost of the whole system, which I will pay if there is a major difference. I could hook up the speakers on a wall bracket (but I am guessing this would be too close to the wall for the BX2s anyway). Goddam...can't really decide. I really like the sound of the Dali Lektor 1s - Sizzers makes a convincing, persuasive case (is she a barrister?). But they come out more expensive...

A friend has told me that I should can the rp3 and spend the extra £200 on speakers. Is this good advice? She knows what she is talking about usually, so I am reluctant to dismiss it?

Bear with me guys! I will make a decision, I just need your experienced views.

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Scott18 said:
Sizzers makes a convincing, persuasive case (is she a barrister?). But they come out more expensive...

That's a picture of Adele. :rofl:

Sizzers may turn out to be a barrister though.

matthewpiano

Strike the 10.1s off the list as they are rear ported and will boom given your intended placement.

I'd also be wary of the BX2s which also need space, despite being front ported.

My suggestion would be the 9.1s but do go and listen for yourself before buying. If you do want to spend more on speakers, I'd seriously recommend trying to resolve your placement issues as you won't get much gain if the speakers are just going to be stuffed onto a shelf.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Strike the 10.1s off the list as they are rear ported and will boom given your intended placement.

I'd also be wary of the BX2s which also need space, despite being front ported.

My suggestion would be the 9.1s but do go and listen for yourself before buying. If you do want to spend more on speakers, I'd seriously recommend trying to resolve your placement issues as you won't get much gain if the speakers are just going to be stuffed onto a shelf.

datay said:
Scott18 said:
Sizzers makes a convincing, persuasive case (is she a barrister?). But they come out more expensive...

That's a picture of Adele. :rofl:

Sizzers may turn out to be a barrister though.

Sizzers is a "he" by the way, and I have no idea where the barrister comes in to it!

Well depending upon the OP's musical tastes and sound prefernces, and bearing in mind the original budgeting for the 300's, I think AVI Neutron V's and Rega RS1's would be a good starting point for "stuffing" in a bookshelf (although you would need some height and depth for the Rega's).

A

Anonymous

OK. I have bitten the bullet. I decided to save money on the turntable and use the money on the speakers instead. So I have ordered the following:

Rega RP1 Performance

Marantz CD6004

Marantz PM6004

Rega RS1

Thanks for all your help - it made a masive difference.

Scott

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Scott18 said:
OK. I have bitten the bullet. I decided to save money on the turntable and use the money on the speakers instead. So I have ordered the following:

Rega RP1 Performance

Marantz CD6004

Marantz PM6004

Rega RS1

Thanks for all your help - it made a masive difference.

Scott

Based on my experience with the PM6003 I will personally vouch that it matches exceptionally well with the RS1's, and as the 6004 (which I have not heard) appears to be a reasonably good replacement for the 6003 then that suggests to me it's going to be an even better match still.

I would mention, however, that the Rega'a are not going to be heavy bass tub thumpers. Instead the bass is wonderfully detailed and rhythmic so if perhaps your main listening is for heavy rock, dance music etc played at party levels then these may not be the best choice, but they are truly sublime with vocals, acoustics, and the ability to follow a line. Also bear in mind, though, that you will need 28-29cm depth if you're using banana plugs and 32cm height to accommodate them.

Just a footnote that they can be picked up herefor £299-95 brand new rather than the usual £438 if your looking for a more "traditional" finish. I can highly recommend the red - they look gorgeous parked either side of my black Sony TV!

A

Anonymous

[/quote]...perhaps your main listening is for heavy rock, dance music etc played at party levels then these may not be the best choice, but they are truly sublime with vocals, acoustics, and the ability to follow a line.[/quote]

No it is folk, acoustic, blues, jazz, classical for me most of the time. I listen to some fairly heavy rock from time to time, but only really on my own or jumping around with the chikldren! So the RS1s sound like they might be just the ticket.

I will let you know how I get on...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts