Newbie question - ProJect Classic EVO vs Thorens TD145 vs LINN Axis

P.Pacific

Nov 15, 2021
Visit site
I've recently auditioned couple of speakers at the dealer's and had a chance to try out vinyl. Still can't forget that wow-effect: a wide, airy and rich soundstage (much superior to all other sources we've tried during that audition).

So, I'm thinking about either a) buying the new gear that I've heard at dealer's: ProJect Classic EVO, Ortofon MC Quintet Red, Gold Note PH-10 phono preamp, OR b) buy second-hand.

Second hand options that I'm looking at are:
  1. Thorens TD145 with Ortofon M20FL super
  2. LINN Axis with Audio Technica VM540

What would be your recommendations? Thank you!

I've recently auditioned couple of speakers at the dealer's and had a chance to try out vinyl. Still can't forget that wow-effect: a wide, airy and rich soundstage (much superior to all other sources we've tried during that audition).

So, I'm thinking about either a) buying the new gear that I've heard at dealer's: ProJect Classic EVO, Ortofon MC Quintet Red, Gold Note PH-10 phono preamp, OR b) buy second-hand.

Buy new if you have the budget.
You'll get warranty and a cartridge of known history, unlike second hand.
The Goldnote PH10 is a bit of overkill in this situation I feel, you could save a bit of money there..
Neither of the second hand combos you mention will be as good as the Project Classic Evo combo

P.Pacific

Nov 15, 2021
Visit site
Buy new if you have the budget.
You'll get warranty and a cartridge of known history, unlike second hand.
The Goldnote PH10 is a bit of overkill in this situation I feel, you could save a bit of money there..
Neither of the second hand combos you mention will be as good as the Project Classic Evo combo
Al ears, thank you very much! It's precious to have a sobering opinion, as I've almost pulled the trigger on the used gear. Could you please suggest something more adequate than Goldnote PH10? I understand that it may be too much for me after studying its specs ...

Al ears, thank you very much! It's precious to have a sobering opinion, as I've almost pulled the trigger on the used gear. Could you please suggest something more adequate than Goldnote PH10? I understand that it may be too much for me after studying its specs ...
not too sure what you can audition wherever you are but, although the PH10 is excellent you don't need to spend more on the preamp than the turntable itself.....
I would look at the Musical Fidelity MX-VYNL or, more expensive but excellent, Vertere Acoustics Phono 1 mark 2.
Also, if you can find one, at around £500, the MOFI Ultraphono is excellent and contains a good headphone amplifier as a bonus :)
Oh, and you might prefer the Quintet Bronze to the Quintet Red mentioned if going new.

Last edited:
Reactions: P.Pacific

P.Pacific

Nov 15, 2021
Visit site
not too sure what you can audition wherever you are but, although the PH10 is excellent you don't need to spend more on the preamp than the turntable itself.....
I would look at the Musical Fidelity MX-VYNL or, more expensive but excellent, Vertere Acoustics Phono 1 mark 2.
Also, if you can find one, at around £500, the MOFI Ultraphono is excellent and contains a good headphone amplifier as a bonus :)
Oh, and you might prefer the Quintet Bronze to the Quintet Red mentioned if going new.
Thank you, will study these options (y)

P.Pacific

Nov 15, 2021
Visit site
By the way, you mentioned used gear...
Which are you thinking of?
Regarding the used gear, I was referring to turntables (Thorens TD145 and LINN Axis). I was thinking about buying used, add new MM cartridge/s and use phono input from my Rotel 1572 pre (as it doesn't support MC). Now I guess it's not good idea at all...

Regarding the used gear, I was referring to turntables (Thorens TD145 and LINN Axis). I was thinking about buying used, add new MM cartridge/s and use phono input from my Rotel 1572 pre (as it doesn't support MC). Now I guess it's not good idea at all...
not really an issue if you know what you are looking at and don't pay over the odds for what are quite old decks. The cartridges you mentioned that are fitted to them probably need replacing anyway because of their age.

However, if it were my money and you don't mind me saying, I would buy the Project Debut Pro new but put a high quality moving magnet cartridge on it and forget the phono stage, just use the one you have in your preamp as it's pretty good.

Let us know how you progress....

matthewpianist

I have the previous model Project Classic and also a Thorens TD160 that has at some point been modified by Inspire Hi-Fi, and all round I prefer the Project. It's a superb deck and I don't expect the Evo version to be anything other than superb too.

Why the Ortofon Quintet? IIRC it's a a MC. I would rather use a MM with either the Classic or Thorens.

With my original Classic I have the ClearAudio Concept.

P.Pacific

Nov 15, 2021
Visit site
not really an issue if you know what you are looking at and don't pay over the odds for what are quite old decks. The cartridges you mentioned that are fitted to them probably need replacing anyway because of their age.
LINN owner is of
However, if it were my money and you don't mind me saying, I would buy the Project Debut Pro new but put a high quality moving magnet cartridge on it and forget the phono stage, just use the one you have in your preamp as it's pretty good.

Let us know how you progress....
Sounds like an interesting idea! Thank you, Al ears!

P.Pacific

Nov 15, 2021
Visit site
I have the previous model Project Classic and also a Thorens TD160 that has at some point been modified by Inspire Hi-Fi, and all round I prefer the Project. It's a superb deck and I don't expect the Evo version to be anything other than superb too.
Thank you for your opinion! Guess I gotta try audition MM cartridge too (to see if I can hear the difference vs MC).

I don't know why Quintet is sold here as a package with EVO... Thank you for your idea about MM, have to try it!
The Quintet Red is sold in the UK as a bundle with the EVO version, and it makes it great buy, as long as you have the moving coil (MC) stage to amplify it properly. The pre-EVO model had a MM Ortofon, perhaps (from memory) a 2M Silver, a sort of hybrid close to the 2M Red/Blue.

It depends how much cheaper it’d be without the cartridge, but with an alternative model. Your dealer can help with those options. As Al has indicated, the Bronze models are often felt to be the sweet spot in the 2M, Quintet and Cadenza ranges.

If £1999 is just within budget, then I’d look closely at the new Thorens TD1500, which includes a 2M Bronze and might just be about the Best Buy under two grand.

The Quintet Red is sold in the UK as a bundle with the EVO version, and it makes it great buy, as long as you have the moving coil (MC) stage to amplify it properly. The pre-EVO model had a MM Ortofon, perhaps (from memory) a 2M Silver, a sort of hybrid close to the 2M Red/Blue.

It depends how much cheaper it’d be without the cartridge, but with an alternative model. Your dealer can help with those options. As Al has indicated, the Bronze models are often felt to be the sweet spot in the 2M, Quintet and Cadenza ranges.

If £1999 is just within budget, then I’d look closely at the new Thorens TD1500, which includes a 2M Bronze and might just be about the Best Buy under two grand.
a good suggestion.....
it's retro, has a lid, and a more user friendly, good quality MM cartridge.
However the balanced XLR outputs may be superfluous unless you have the ability to use them.

Reactions: P.Pacific

P.Pacific

Nov 15, 2021
Visit site

Thank you for your suggestion, Nopiano. Balanced XLR outputs seems very nice when it comes to Thorens TD1500! Appreciate your insights on different cartridges as well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts