Newbie. Please help with speakers.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey guys

First post, and wanting to buy speaker and do not have that much cash.

I have been looking at the Mordaunt Short 914i, They have them in Richer sounds right now for £199.00 or 380 bucks

This is a wicked deal, otherwise I was looking at some mission ones, I think they were m34i (I THINK) which are about 240.00=450 bucks.

Any thoughts, or maybe different models,

Will be buying amp soon.

42" panasonic plasma

Virgin HD box

Thanks so much

GO EASY ON ME

A

Anonymous

I would go with the Mordaunt Shorts - far superior in every way apparently, although I cannot comment in detail because I havn't heard either funnily!

If you were looking at amps, I would say something like the Marantz PM6002 (£199) or the Arcam A70 (£349) would be great...

A

Anonymous

Hey

Thanks for that, what about these new sony amps that are coming out I thing the 520 620 720 ect version with 4 HDMI ports are on play.com for 149.99? 100x2 I think

A

Anonymous

xps1530:
Hey

Thanks for that, what about these new sony amps that are coming out I thing the 520 620 720 ect version with 4 HDMI ports are on play.com for 149.99? 100x2 I think

Sadly, Sony's idea of 100watts is into 4ohms, not the standard method of 8ohms (forgive the patronising tone) but this means they are roughly 50watts per channel at 8ohms...and power isn't the biggest factor in deciding on an amp - the electronics inside are a vital part...I've opened one of these Sonys up, and found that the electronics are pretty awful; the technology is identical to that of mid-80s gear. Then I turned it on, and it really wasn't good at all...

That said (and I always like to say this to newbies), if you feel secure using eBay (patronising once again Huggies...), then you can get some great deals on amplifiers that were, in their day, superb. For example, the Pioneer A-400 (1991; a VERY reliable amplifier) can be found for £60 in mint condtion on eBay and for having only 50watts, it sounds like it has, to quote the ever up-his-ar5e Clarkson "POWER".

Also look at the JVC A-X series...type into ebay "JVC Amplifier" and various models from Nad... type "NAD amplifier" into ebay.

Oh, and don't forget the cables! The difference between a £10 cable and a £30 is like night from day!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that.

I was wondering about cables as well.

So I guess its not like a HDMI were a HDMI is a HDMI regardless of 10.00 or 100.00, So from what you said more money the better on cables.

Probably looking to spend 500.00 on speakers and a AMP... The blu-ray will come later when prices come down and I know its going to be a worthwhile invest.

Will look into that second hand, But im thinking if I spend 200.00 new at least I have a warranty on it.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
xps1530:
Thanks for that.

I was wondering about cables as well.

So I guess its not like a HDMI were a HDMI is a HDMI regardless of 10.00 or 100.00, So from what you said more money the better on cables.

Probably looking to spend 500.00 on speakers and a AMP... The blu-ray will come later when prices come down and I know its going to be a worthwhile invest.

Will look into that second hand, But im thinking if I spend 200.00 new at least I have a warranty on it.

IMO a 10 and a 100 HDMI are pretty much the same on a short run. (Many others feel the same)

A

Anonymous

emotion-15.gif
btw, thats a nice notebook! - does it have SPDIF out?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts