Newbie needing an amp to power Quad 22L floor standers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, new to the hifi component world. Just starting to build a component 2-channel system. Im looking for an amp to match my newly acquired speaker: Quad 22L floor standers (50-300W, normal impedance 6 ohms). I listen mainly to rock, pop, jazz, lounge - very little classical, and will of course connect my plasma up to the amp/speakers.

I have a shortlist of the amps listed below - they're pretty much the same price range - +/- $100-$200.

I would like an opinion on which is the best amp for the money, given the music I listen to and my speakers (new CD player will be my next purchase).

Integrated amp shortlist:

• Cambridge Audio 840A : $1,000 (1 yr old)
  • Cambridge Audio 740A : $900 (new)
  • Denon PMA1500BK : $1,000 (new)
  • Marantz PM-15S1 : $1,300 (new)
  • Marantz PM-17mkII : $940 (used, good condition)
  • Marantz NAD C372 : $1,000 (new)
Im leaning to the Cambridge Audio 840A, but wouldn't know if one of the others was a standout performer or simply a better value proposition.

Thanks for your assistance! Happy listening!

Riggsi

A

Anonymous

While I'm a big fan of the Marantz PM-17MKII, a used unit shouldn't cost you 940 bucks. I paid 450 euro for mine which was in mint condition. A used MK2 should cost somewhere around 650 dollars, at most.

matthewpiano

The Denon is a very capable amplifier indeed but the prices have just gone up in the UK and I personally think its starting to look a little on the expensive side now (it was about £500 when I bought mine, but lately I've seen it in a few places at £750).

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Why not consider one of Quad's integrated to which you could add a matching cdp in the future. I believe CN/Editor is using a quad system and after all, they develop their speakers with their own electronics ... I guess. It would also be a bit unusual considering the usual stuff folks here use and pride of ownership should be high. Another plus is they don't update stuff every year and back up is said to be good. Having said all that, I have'nt heard a quad system for years
emotion-5.gif
. Perhaps I should, almost convinced myself now.

The 840Av2 is very good but lacks a bit of groove/bounce. Very precise/pristine and powerful though. MP's Denon PMA1500AE sounds a tad more fluid but lacks the purity of tone. Very musical though and it'll power anything in a similar manner to the CA even if rated slightly less.

A

Anonymous

You might also want to consider an Arcam. I have the Quad 22L with an Arcam A70 - while I think it's underpowered for the Quads, I certainly think they match well. I've also tried a NAD amp that I was putting with our study system and that seemed to work well too. ÿMind you I listen more to classical and Jazz than I do to rock/pop etc. For the rock/pop I did try however, I think the NAD seemed to be a good partner for the Quads. ÿYou may find that the Quads are pretty revealing of bad recordings. I'd be interested to hear what you get in the end and how you find the Quads.

T

the record spot

The Marantz PM15S1 would definitely be worth a listen IMO - sorry to add to the list of differing opinions, but that amp used the same tech (or at least trickled down) from the more expensive £5000 version as well as sharing a similar appearance.

See also Unison Research Unico (used), Eastern Electric Minimax or M520 amps, Yamaha S1000 or S2000 amps. All well worthy of shortlisting.

A

Anonymous

the record spot:The Marantz PM15S1 would definitely be worth a listen IMO - sorry to add to the list of differing opinions, but that amp used the same tech (or at least trickled down) from the more expensive £5000 version as well as sharing a similar appearance.

See also Unison Research Unico (used), Eastern Electric Minimax or M520 amps, Yamaha S1000 or S2000 amps. All well worthy of shortlisting.

While the PM15S1 is undoubtedly a very good integrated amp, I think it's only a minor step-up from the PM17MKII, to the op: if you can find a used PM17MKII for a nice price then I'd recommend that.

I'm not sure if it would gel well with your Quad's though, a shopkeeper once told me they were a match made in heaven when I demoed several of his speakers, but I only got to hear the speakers through a Nad C355, and no Marantz unfortunately.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts