NEWBIE !!! help which one ????????

LOST

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
I currently have an lg 32inch hd lcd would like to upgrade to a larger one but which one ???? I have been to commet and currys etc and one says samsung and another sony !!! I would like a 37 or 40 inch and have been reading reviews but still not sure what to go for - pana 37lzd70 , pana 37px70 , sony kdl-40v3000 or lg 37lf66 (being the cheapest) . I did buy decembers edition and read up about the panas as did i last year when i purchased my lg but im also not sure about this 1080p lark ?? i have a ps3 , wii and a samsung ntl box (soon to be upgraded to a hd one) so which tv would i be best suited to ? sorry to ask the normal always asked questions but i need help before i spend my hard earned money on something that is already classed as old or will be outdated in 2 weeks when a newer improved model is out !!! Also how old are the above models to date as when i purchased my lg last year i then found out it was already 6 months old after i purchased it !! many thanks

A

Anonymous

Flipping heck, a new telly already! You've only had your current one since last year! Are you made of money? (If you are, please can I have some?) Anyway, loaded or not, I would recommend that this time around, you take the time to make sure you are not just completely happy with your chosen telly before you buy, but positively beaming! Also, you have not mentioned a budget (back to money again - shows how my mind works).

Is 37 or 40 inch the highest you will go? At 42 inches there is more choice - the absolutely stunning Pioneer PDP-428XD is one of the many examples, although unfortunately it isn't full HD. The Panasonic 42P70 is full HD though, and is actually very similar to the Pana lcd 37LZD70, except it's plasma.

That brings us to another issue; plasma or lcd? LCDs are big on detail, and you can fit more pixels on an lcd panel, hence the fact you can get 37 inch lcds with 1080p, whereas a 37 inch plasma could not be physically capable of doing. A big advantage of lcd is the really bright colours it can deliver, which makes it well suited for playing your PS3 and Wii games, although lcd technology has a well documented problem with rapid motion (so maybe it isn't so good for playing games). Having said that, there are lots of new picture enhancers that do quite a good job of improving this by doubling the framerate. Panasonic's version is called 100Hz motion picture pro (or something like that). Also, lcds tend to be lighter than plasmas so they will be easier for you to get rid of when you want to buy another tv in a years time.
emotion-5.gif

Plasma is much better for motion, but does not deliver as bright a picture as is possible with lcd screens, and tend to not be able to fit as many pixels as lcd. That said, Panasonic have managed to fit 1080p onto a 42 inch plasma. And the colours are more deeper and realistic, mainly due to plasma's inherently better reproduction of dark blacks, due to the fact that, unlike lcd, it does not require a backlight. Also, alot of people prefer plasma's image to lcds, especially for movies. Most agree that games and sport looks stunning on plasma.

Anyway, the sets you mentioned - Panasonic 37PX70 and 37LZD70, Sony KDL-40V3000 (don't bother with LG - they're OK but not exactly inspiring) are all stunning. I can't really tell you which one to get as it is a matter of personal preference. You need to get yourself down to a tv shop and see them all in action, and with a variety of content - standard-def and high-def - then see which you like best, and if you like it enough, get your wallet out.

LOST

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
I wish i was minted as i would get a pioneer !!!! Im only going bigger as i have moved from a flat to a house so the 32 is a bit small ! i popped into commet this evening to take a look at the panas but both were only on sd and not playing hd so could not see the full potentional ! the lcd looks massive because of the wing speakers and the plasma didnt look very nice (looks wise) and the picture on the plasma was not as bright and clear as the lcd . I dont want to go bigger then 40 inch as it will over power the lounge a bit and the mrs will get the hump if its to big !! They did have the samsung 40inch m series which looked nice and they also had a sony kdl-40w2000 1080p with free 5.1 home cinema system and a free upscaling dvd recorder for £1149 but what are they like ??? And then i saw the sony kdl-40v3000 running through a sky hd box and the picture is amazing ! they are doing that lcd with a free ps3 for £1399 and its very tempting even though i already have a ps3 !!!

Why are there so many choices and which would you go for ?????

A

Anonymous

Hi LOST,

I can't really add anything regarding your first post, as BenjaminHart has pretty much hit the nail on the head. However, let me offer an opinion on your latest visit to Comet....

It's a shame that they weren't showing decent material on the Panasonic TVs, as they really do perform incredibly well when treated well. Don't be afraid to ask them to demo something especially for you. Ask them to connect the PS3 to it and try one of your own discs, and if they're not happy to oblige, just walk away and try somewhere else (John Lewis tend to be very accomodating, for a start).

With regards to the other TVs you've seen, I would avoid the KDL-40W2000 as although it was a fantastic TV at the time, it's getting a little long in the tooth now, and has been overtaken by a lot of new sets. It also lacks 24fps support, so Blu-rays via your PS3 won't be as smooth as they could be.

The Samsung LE40M86/87 (that last number will differ depending on where you buy from) is a very decent TV for the money, and boasts a Full HD resolution. It's worth taking a look at the particular set you're thinking of buying before you fork over your cash though, as we found some picture differences even between Samsung TVs with the same model number!

Finally, the Sony KDL-40W3000 - it's a cracking TV. It has all of the technical features you could need, looks great, and has a really detailed picture. It even has great black levels for an LCD. Also, as a gamer myself, I can thoroughly recommend the 'W3000 as a gaming TV. It's really sharp and punchy, and motion is tracked well. It's also easy to switch between picture setups, so I've found myself using the 'vivid' setting for bright games like Ratchett and Clank, then switching to my custom THX-calibrated settings for grimier games like Resistance.

I hope some of that helps, but remember; how you feel about the TV is the most important thing, so make sure you get a demo before you buy!

LOST

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for all the replys !!! im thinking of getting the sony kdl-40v3000 that was in comet but whats the difference between that one and the w series you mentioned above ? plus the w series is more money ??

A

Anonymous

The V3000 and the W3000 are actually very similar sets, however the W3000 has a slightly better specification. Aesthetics wise they look very similar, although the V3000 has (in my humble opinion) a much nicer finish - glossy piano black - while the W3000 is stuck with a drab grey / black matte look. Anyway, even the differences in specification aren't that big; the W3000 has a second component output and an optical digital audio output, unlike it's smaller sibling which has neither. Also, the W3000 packs a more advanced 'Bravia Engine Ex' as apposed to the V3000's presumably less advanced 'Bravia Engine'. Also the bigger sibling has something called x.v.Colour, plus a '10 Bit Panel', and a slightly more advanced virtual surround system (supposedly Dolby Digital Plus capable). Now, whether these extra features make a big difference is something I don't know for sure, but I'd imagine probably not that much. The best thing to do is find a shop which sells both models and get down there to have a look at both of them, preferably side by side, and then decide for yourself. By the way, I got all the information about these two sets from the Sony UK website. Therefore it might not all be true! Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention that while both sets have digital terrestrial tuners, the one on the W3000 is high-def. Not that this actually matters because there probably won't be any high-def digital terrestrial broadcasts this side of the year 3000!

A

Anonymous

Another spot-on reply from BenjaminHart - nicely done, sir - and apologies for confusing the matter by banging on about the W3000, when it was in fact the V3000 that you were referring to.

We've not tested the V3000, so I con't offer a full opinion on it, I'm afraid. However, as BenjaminHart says, the difference in specification is fairly small. How much those individual picture features matter is something that would have to be thoroughly tested, but the core specs of 1080p and 24fps are featured on both sets.

I agree, best to take a look at them both if you can, check out the price difference, and make an informed decision.

Let us know how you get on!

LOST

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
It seems that everywhere i look online and every review i read the pana 37lzd70 is brilliant and almost out of stock in most places or due in !

It seems very good at producing sd and is near as good as plasma but imho i dont like the wing speakers as it makes the set look massive and is the same size as some 40 inch lcds !! But if its that good a set i suppose i could put up with the wings ???

I have found the pana for £879 + £79 for a wall bracket , so not bad !

I have also found a sony kdl40v3000 for £969 including vat , delivery and a 5yr warranty (parts and labour) or £899 without warranty !

I then found the kdl40w3000 for £1269 including 5year warranty also with vat and delivery or £1194 without warranty !

I know you have said go and see them all as its down to me in the end (fair enough) but i would like a set which is good and popular or should i just bite the bullet and get everything with the w series sony or save nearly £400 and get the pana ? is the sony worth the extra £400 ?

Sorry to keep this thread going and keep on but everyone is so helpful with comments etc that im finding it difficult to make a descision myself and to make matters worse my best mate has just purchased the new toshiba picture frame xf series lcd which i also found for £1180 ! ! !

A

Anonymous

Hi there LOST,

Ooh, this one's getting more tricky! There is absolutely no denying that the Panasonic 37LZD70 is an absolute cracker, especially as it has excellent black levels for an LCD, and that price sounds very competitive to me.

I guess what it comes down to is what you can afford and what you think you have room for - you really don't want to be sitting too close to the screen. I think if it was me, and I had the money and space for it, I'd go for the W3000, just for the extra size.

If money is an issue though (when is it not?!), the Panasonic is excellent value and has all the specs of the Sony, and I reckon you'd soon forget the wing speakers once you got it mounted and switched on.

As for the Toshiba 40XF355D, I can't say much about it, other than it's being First Tested for the January issue, which will be in the shops on 13th December.

Sorry I can't offer a definitive answer on your predicament, but the good thing is that you've narrowed it down to a couple of brilliant TVs. I can safely say that whether you go for the Sony or Pana, it will keep you happy for much longer than a year!

A

Anonymous

Some people aren't happy unless they've got the best they can get, it seems that you may be one of these, like me, i wasn't entirely sure about the W3000, but i would always know, at that time, that if i went for anything else i wouldn't be getting the best available at that time.

I plumped for the W3000 and am overjoyed !

LOST

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
Im off to another shop tommorrow (proper tv shop) not commet or currys !!! and they are very good with advice and know there stuff .

Im thinking w3000 as for the extra £400 over the pana im getting a bigger screen , 10 bit panel , 24 fps , true live colour , 3 hdmi etc etc and also a 5 year warranty all for just under £1300 which can include 9 months interest free etc .

I expect they will tempt me into a pana as they do rate them at the shop im going too (plus the money saving) so will let you know what i go for as my mate is buying my old lg lcd tommorrow night and i need a tv !!

Then at least this post will come to an end !!!

Thank you for all your replys .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts