Newbie doesn't know much about amplifiers

Nov 29, 2022
Visit site
I have 2 speakers Sony SS XB6AV which have a combined RMS power of 200w and I have a motor driven turntable Sony PSLX56. Please can you advise what amplifier I shuld be looking for to accomodate the speakers/turntable.

Reactions: sumitsinha
Nov 29, 2022
Visit site
Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated. Up to £500 for the amp. I either ideally want a stacking system all in one that has the amp with radio, CD, and tape, and phono, or just a CD/phono/amp input.
Is there a desirable wattage for the amplifier that is important for the phono and speakers to function properly?

Welcome!

It looks like a fairly basic and ancient turntable. Ideally, with £500, you maybe should look at replacing the turntable and getting an amplifier, assuming the speakers are to your liking.

If you like Sony, you could choose something like this receiver with FMradio and streaming, and a new turntable. (Sign up with your email to get VIP price, £50 off a Cambridge AXA25 amplifier for something simpler)

https://www.richersounds.com/sony-pslx310bt.html

https://www.richersounds.com/sony-str-dh190.html

Nov 29, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. Yes the turntable is about 1992 and I really want to keep it as it plays well. The speakers are the same vintage. Does the fact that the speakers have a lot of power mean that I need an amp to cope with the power ie something about 100w or greater?

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
You should be very carefull with these speakers. Judging from size and power handling, they are probably 4 or even 3 ohm speakers. Do they come from a mini hifi system? If I were you I would use my budget for a pair of 8 ohm speakers and a stereo receiver, or a new mini hifi with phono input. You won't find 4 ohm rated stereo receivers with this budget.

Thanks for your reply. Yes the turntable is about 1992 and I really want to keep it as it plays well. The speakers are the same vintage. Does the fact that the speakers have a lot of power mean that I need an amp to cope with the power ie something about 100w or greater?
The speakers don't 'have a lot of power'. They have none! They do, however, have power handling capacity, meaning that they won't self-destruct if you use fewer watts from the amplifier than their maximum rating.

As you implied earlier, these seem to have been bundled with a Sony 'stack' and the instruction booklet I found dates from 1997. The power output was peak music power, so likely around 30 to 40 watts in hifi terminology. Frankly, the speakers are nothing special (not really what we typically think of as hifi, more part of a nice audio system), but that also means pretty much any amplifier will drive them.

The better mini systems from Denon, Marantz and Yamaha mostly lack a phono stage, so you'd need a little preamp for your Sony turntable - unless you upgrade to the one I mentioned above, which has it built in. There's a selection here:-

I would recommend visiting a shop to see the finishes and features. It's much better than looking on a screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: WayneKerr
Nov 29, 2022
Visit site
You should be very carefull with these speakers. Judging from size and power handling, they are probably 4 or even 3 ohm speakers. Do they come from a mini hifi system? If I were you I would use my budget for a pair of 8 ohm speakers and a stereo receiver, or a new mini hifi with phono input. You won't find 4 ohm rated stereo receivers with this budget.
They are 6 ohm speakers. They originally came with a hi fi system SSXX6.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
This is all becoming far to difficult. If you’re happy with them, then fine have at it no need to replace the speakers.

Any amp will run them forget about the watts. You state you want cd capability, most have a dvd player and or a Blu-ray player in the house save some money use that.

You’ll quite happily get an amp for well under 500 quid with the all connectivity you want and then some especially second hand.

here you go job done 74quid, even has a phono stage.

Spend the rest on a cd player or dvd player of which there are plenty on the bay starting as little as a 5er
No modern 500quid midi system will beat the sound or the functionality of this.

You’ll even have money left for speakers if you want, mission 701’s 702 60-100quid all day. Somthing newer? Mission m73 m74 series same prices kef q line just watch out for crumpled tweeters. You may just to travel and pick them up or get a man in a van to do.

hope that helps

Dom

The speakers don't 'have a lot of power'. They have none! They do, however, have power handling capacity, meaning that they won't self-destruct if you use fewer watts from the amplifier than their maximum rating.

As you implied earlier, these seem to have been bundled with a Sony 'stack' and the instruction booklet I found dates from 1997. The power output was peak music power, so likely around 30 to 40 watts in hifi terminology. Frankly, the speakers are nothing special (not really what we typically think of as hifi, more part of a nice audio system), but that also means pretty much any amplifier will drive them.

The better mini systems from Denon, Marantz and Yamaha mostly lack a phono stage, so you'd need a little preamp for your Sony turntable - unless you upgrade to the one I mentioned above, which has it built in. There's a selection here:-

I would recommend visiting a shop to see the finishes and features. It's much better than looking on a screen.
Very well said, I agree with this.

Reactions: nopiano

Dom

What makes you think that?
As usual your right Grey, mini-hifi systems released in the past 25 years have been fantastic, even 40 years they have been amazing. During the 1930s, Avery Fisher, an amateur violinist, began experimenting with audio design and acoustics. He wanted to make a radio that would sound like he was listening to a live orchestra—that would achieve high fidelity to the original sound, so 80db is not hard to drive.

Speakers of mini-hifi systems released 25 years ago may have less than 80db of sensitivity. In which case a 25W amp like Cambridge AXA25 will distort/break/auto-shutdown.
Trust me, they don’t supply such insensitive speakers with mini systems. And never have.

The specs of system and speakers are in this manual, though understandably sensitivity isn’t quoted as no buyer would be mixing and matching.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/res/manuals/3859/38599514M.pdf

Reactions: Gray and WayneKerr
Nov 29, 2022
Visit site
This is all becoming far to difficult. If you’re happy with them, then fine have at it no need to replace the speakers.

Any amp will run them forget about the watts. You state you want cd capability, most have a dvd player and or a Blu-ray player in the house save some money use that.

You’ll quite happily get an amp for well under 500 quid with the all connectivity you want and then some especially second hand.

here you go job done 74quid, even has a phono stage.

Spend the rest on a cd player or dvd player of which there are plenty on the bay starting as little as a 5er
No modern 500quid midi system will beat the sound or the functionality of this.

You’ll even have money left for speakers if you want, mission 701’s 702 60-100quid all day. Somthing newer? Mission m73 m74 series same prices kef q line just watch out for crumpled tweeters. You may just to travel and pick them up or get a man in a van to do.

hope that helps
Thanks for the suggestions. Helpful.

Gray

Reactions: Dom
I appear to be wrong about the speaker ohms as the manual for LBTXB6 (sorry I got the model details wrong earlier) specifies it is 8 ohms impedance.
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/res/manuals/3859/38599514M.pdf
If indeed they are 8 ohms each I presume the Sony STRDH190 is not what I need.
As previously suggested, any amplifier will do just fine with your speakers. You've had some recommendations to look at. Please don't get hung up on imaginary 'matching' issues that simply aren't relevant here. Just pop along to a dealer and look at some kit.

Reactions: WayneKerr

TRENDING THREADS