New year - staying in alone?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
QuestForThe13thNote said:
Most people self moderate, but if you call people pri-ks and tell them to F off, you obviously have no level of self moderation.

reported.

+1

Also reported there's no need for that kind of behaviour.

+1 , reported.

Why be on a forum if you aren't at least going to try and learn to have a conversation? Anger management course needed. Oh yeah, and the report button made us the moderators. ;)

nick8858

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
No problem at all. Its just another day. Quite a nice day. TV could have been better but then thats the same most days. Dunno what all the fuss is about really

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
daveh75 said:
daveh75 said:
jjbomber said:
With 4 people stabbed to death in London last night, maybe staying in alone is the safest option.

And how many people were in London for NYE celebrations? How does that compare to any other night? And how many incidents are there on any other night?

Stop scaremongering you *****! That's the media's job...

please don’t write this sort of stuff. If you want to do that, take your anger and aggression out elsewhere. Maybe take up boxing or sparing.

Who died and made you moderator?

EDITED BY MODS...NOT HAVING THAT KIND OF LANGUAGE ON THIS FORUM
well out of order reported

we do not need people like you on here there’s no need to be like this at all !

D

Deleted member 2457

You lot do realise the report button doesn’t work? You have to email a moderator...

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
Yes it can be a daunting time. I've never been a big fan of new years eve, think it's because I love Christmas so much and it ignls the end of the festive season

Try and stay positive, enjoy the music... what will be will be.

Just my lovely Mrs Mac tonight.

A happy and healthy new year

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com
One way of looking at it is that years have to start and end some time. Otherwise we'd be stuck in the same year forever. Which would be a bit silly with the seasons and all that.

Ending the year 6 days after Christmas day is about as good a time as any - although Decmeber 22nd might be more logical?

And as for whether you should behave differenlty on New Years Eve to any other night of the year - well that's entirely up to each individual person.

Personally I like to use any period when I'm not working as a time to share special activities with the people that I love.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

insider9 said:
Transmitter Down said:
Racist/xenophobic comments seem fine, but god help you if you swear.

I have a spare hour, let's see how many people I can report.
No they are not fine.

How about you contribute something positive to this community?

absolutely agreed. Strong robust respectful debate and good argument is I think fine, but if people come up with blatant attempts to offend or annoy people like this, we should all point it out.

nick8858

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
In my view there is zero moderation on this forum. Other ones I subcribe to wouldn't even allow some of the above posts to appear in the first place. And they have filters which delete "naughty words" too which are very effective. And threads which have such material are swiftly stopped and deleted. Who are the moderators here anyway?

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

In a way it’s a good thing there is little moderation because if anyone comes on and behaves like this and calls people this, they deserve to get shouted down and everyone should do so. What these people are doing in making these comments is getting a reaction from others that support them. The person that guy called a pr—k ignored the comment but I came in in defence to say its wrong, to which someone else jumped on the bandwagon making flippant comments about my spelling and then saying he will report people. So if the good people win these people have no room to manoever and frankly hopefully will think twice.

D

Deleted member 2457

Simon Lucas is the WHF moderator. His email address is something like Simon.lucas@haymarket.com

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Daveh's insulting ad hominem comments are out of order. They are - quite rightly - against the rules of this forum.

I know what I'd say to him in person about his behaviour...

I'd ask him why he felt the need to be so abrasive and rude in his posting style? And then take the conversation from there. We'd probably have a brief and to the point exchange of opinions.

nick8858

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
gel said:
Simon Lucas is the WHF moderator. His email address is something like Simon.lucas@haymarket.com

Is he really. May I respectfully say that he is asleep on the job then. Posters such as the ones described above would be banned IMMEDIATELY on all the other forums I subscribe to.

D

Deleted member 2457

I always think this time of year makes you think quite negatively if you battle demons a lot as it makes you think of the failures throughout the past year, as you’ve got to do it all over again. I spent Xmas staying in a nice place with 6 family members for 4 nights, but I’ll spend new year alone as much of my life is.

If you are getting a bit lonely alone, or feel alone with others, I recommend this short video on bbc website as it might make you feel better. You won’t be the only one alone which is the message I got, and new year isn’t always about the false pretences of happiness just for the sake of it, and doing so can sometimes make things worse.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/stories-42411707/staying-in-this-new-year-you-re-not-alone
Like I said Nick, you have to email Simon and he has always done a fine job whenever I have contacted him.

daveh75

In a way it’s a good thing there is little moderation because if anyone comes on and behaves like this and calls people this, they deserve to get shouted down and everyone should do so. What these people are doing in making these comments is getting a reaction from others that support them. The person that guy called a pr—k ignored the comment but I came in in defence to say its wrong, to which someone else jumped on the bandwagon making flippant comments about my spelling and then saying he will report people. So if the good people win these people have no room to manoever and frankly hopefully will think twice.

All a bit rich from someone who rocked up here with a huge chip/reverse snobbery with the sole intention of trolling (and continues to do so on a regular basis) and then plays the sympathy card when people push back.

You're nothing more than an attention seeking troll. Plain and simple.

As for bomber he is and always has been a *****!

When he isn't derailing threads at the mere mention of Apple with his ill informed crap, or calling out WHF staffers as paid shills with every Apple review/news story, he's trolled perfectly decent forum members to breaking point and they've felt they've no choice but to leave the forum, then tried to make out like his **** don't stink.

The pair of you deserve everything you've got coming...

nick8858

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
But having to email someone AFTER the event is too late. The offence has already been caused. GOOD moderation means this kind of thing is filtered out before its published. And yes it can be done and is done on other forums I am a member of.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
This thread has clearly ran its course. What a happy community this is. I have emailed WHF staff..I expect the threadlock will be in force soon, and rightly so.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts