New year - staying in alone?

• Thread starter QuestForThe13thNote
  • Start date
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I always think this time of year makes you think quite negatively if you battle demons a lot as it makes you think of the failures throughout the past year, as you’ve got to do it all over again. I spent Xmas staying in a nice place with 6 family members for 4 nights, but I’ll spend new year alone as much of my life is.

If you are getting a bit lonely alone, or feel alone with others, I recommend this short video on bbc website as it might make you feel better. You won’t be the only one alone which is the message I got, and new year isn’t always about the false pretences of happiness just for the sake of it, and doing so can sometimes make things worse.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/stories-42411707/staying-in-this-new-year-you-re-not-alone

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I will be staying in, but not alone, just myself, my wife, and a couple of sister and brother in laws. A few drinks, a chinese takeaway, a bit of music, and hopefully a few laughs. It wont be a late one however, my wife works for one of the emergency services and is in work tomorrow morning at 7.00am unfortunately.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
True Quest, this indeed can be a hard time of the year for many and it's worth spending some thought on it. Perhaps your link can help someone.

Just the girlfriend, me and my alter ego this year. Normally I go out but thought I'd break the habit for once. Indian (food) on the way.

Wishing you and everyone here a healthy, happy, prosperous and good sounding 2018!

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

And the same health and happiness to everyone else on here.

I’m listening to an awesome tidal classical playlist called ‘classical relaxation’ with loads of max richter which I can recommend. Great stuff.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Just the wife and I and a home made pizza and a gin & tonic each (one of the half a dozen drinks we have each year).

A couple of episodes of a series she enjoys (‘Person Of Interest’) on Netflix and to bed by 10pm latest.*

It’s nice you had Christmas with good company. New Year’s Day is basically just another date change.

* I had three weeks in hospital during most of November and got too used to their hours (hospital days start at 05:30 with blood tests, drips etc. and end around 21:30) and I have found it hard to shake off the routine despite being back at home for a month now.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Gaz37 said:
Shouldn't this be in Off Topic?

Or don't you get enough attention there?

I put it on here as I thought it might reach more people that take new year this way, but I sincerely wish you a good and prosperous year.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
I always think this time of year makes you think quite negatively if you battle demons a lot as it makes you think of the failures throughout the past year, as you’ve got to do it all over again. I spent Xmas staying in a nice place with 6 family members for 4 nights, but I’ll spend new year alone as much of my life is.

If you are getting a bit lonely alone, or feel alone with others, I recommend this short video on bbc website as it might make you feel better. You won’t be the only one alone which is the message I got, and new year isn’t always about the false pretences of happiness just for the sake of it, and doing so can sometimes make things worse.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/stories-42411707/staying-in-this-new-year-you-re-not-alone

Yes it can be a daunting time. I've never been a big fan of new years eve, think it's because I love Christmas so much and it ignls the end of the festive season

Try and stay positive, enjoy the music... what will be will be.

Just my lovely Mrs Mac tonight.

A happy and healthy new year

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Glad you had a good Christmas with near and dear ones. Nothing else matters.

I usually spend the new year eve in a hotel or resort , so I don't have to drive back home after the revelry. But I've stayed back home this year. Will be shifting to a new place soon, and wanted to spend the last possible year with my parents. So nothing exciting here..but I think my parents are glad I did...

Wish you a great year all and you too quest .

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Not felt like celebrating Xmas or New Year at all, the pain of losing my mum earlier this year is still too raw. But you have to do the best you can when you have children, because they expect everything to be as normal. And I feel I have an obligation as a parent to do 'normal' for them as best I can.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

MajorFubar said:
Not felt like celebrating Xmas or New Year at all, the pain of losing my mum earlier this year is still too raw. But you have to do the best you can when you have children, because they expect everything to be as normal. And I feel I have an obligation as a parent to do 'normal' for them as best I can.

Sorry to hear that. But what you said about your children is a very valiant thing to say.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Quest. Too many people this day and age put their children second, or even further down the list, when in actual fact they should be your primary consideration in everything you do because they didn't ask to be here.

Hope you have as great a New Year as you are able to my friend.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
MajorFubar said:

So sorry for yur loss Major... know how you feel, lost my Mum nearly 17 years ago and still miss her terribly, especially at this time of year. She always done her best to give us a good Christmas despite not having much money.

Happy new year

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
watched Nile Rogers and Chic on BBC1 end 2017 with some cool tunes, watched the London fireworks at midnight and then carried on watching Chic bring in the new year with some more cool tunes, this finished at 1am, then fired up my PS4 console and played some online multiplayer games for a couple of hours then went to bed.

no worrying about getting drunk and then having trouble getting home (no public transport, only double fare taxis).

total spend for the night, about £10 for bottle of wine and a pizza, brought from local supermarket.

Happy new year to everybody on the forum.

*smile*

D

Deleted member 2457

Just a quiet night in too. Happy new year to you all.
thumbs_up.png

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
macdiddy said:
watched Nile Rogers and Chic on BBC1 end 2017 with some cool tunes, watched the London fireworks at midnight and then carried on watching Chic bring in the new year with some more cool tunes

I watched that too. Love the Chic of old, it's the music of my pre-teen youth, but hated their singer with the blonde hair. Her wailing through 70s disco classics epitomized everything I dislike about modern singers. The other singer was great though. Nile Rogers doing the Sugarhill Gang's rap in 'Good Times' was an excellent nod of acceptance of their reworking his (then not so old) classic.

daveh75

jjbomber said:
With 4 people stabbed to death in London last night, maybe staying in alone is the safest option.

And how many people were in London for NYE celebrations? How does that compare to any other night? And how many incidents are there on any other night?

EDITED BY MODS...NOT HAVING THAT KIND OF LANGUAGE ON THIS FORUM

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I can scare monger you all away from the junk I watched last night.

Bright on Netflix must have cost a few quid to make it Big Willy Smith must cost a few quid to hire
It was awful generic boring and just cheesey crud.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

daveh75 said:
jjbomber said:
With 4 people stabbed to death in London last night, maybe staying in alone is the safest option.

And how many people were in London for NYE celebrations? How does that compare to any other night? And how many incidents are there on any other night?

EDITED BY MODS - NOT HAVING THAT KIND OF LANGUAGE ON THIS FORUM

please don’t write this sort of stuff. If you want to do that, take your anger and aggression out elsewhere. Maybe take up boxing or sparing.

daveh75

QuestForThe13thNote said:
daveh75 said:
jjbomber said:

Stop scaremongering you *****! That's the media's job...

please don’t write this sort of stuff. If you want to do that, take your anger and aggression out elsewhere. Maybe take up boxing or sparing.

Who died and made you moderator?

EDITED BY MODS...NOT HAVING THAT KIND OF LANGUAGE ON THIS FORUM

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Most people self moderate, but if you call people pri-ks and tell them to F off, you obviously have no level of self moderation. Just another person that hides behind a keyboard. I’m surprised you got the f through the firewall.

reported.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts