New Year, New System on £4-5k Budget

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Just think I'd feel a little short changed having the Clic and seeing these extras.

Still I think knowing how good Sonos is I'd prob have one of these and the ms1.

The M1 range has to be some of the best looking hi Fi boxes going.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
I have recently replaced all my kit and before doing so spent about a year (reading and auditioning) trying to understand what I want in terms of sound and then how to achieve it while keeping the system compact and with excellent seamless control. based on this experience:

the most important part is speakers. these must be chosen on acoustic performance (and should be acceptable looks-wise for domestic use). understand what sound you want and then what kind of speakers will deliver it. spend a lot of time doing this.

for sources, as most digital sources these dasy produce virtually identical sound, the most important is compatibility with formats you intend to play, compatibility wit the other kit in your (future) system and the user interface/control. think this through, completely.

at 5k budget (and looking for 'accurate, neutral, low distortion sound' I would go for a set of active speakers at abt 4-4.5k and spend the rest on a modern source (e.g. mac mini, sonos, sb touch or another modern streamer, maybe a nas) and, importantly, think through the control so the system is very easy and pleasant to use.

5k is a lot of money. choose wisely. avoid spending too soon and ending up with 'just another' system. Get a special one, the right one, instead.

if interested in actives, check out the 'active speaekers club' thread for options.

I recommend going the active route (but you will have limited choice looks-wise compared to the passive offerings), but if you go passive I recommend looking for high-perfromance, neutral sounding speakers with excellent drivers (e.g. Harbeth, ATC), low distortion and get an amp with high-current and high peak power capability.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
richardw42 said:
Nice to see more use of Bluetooth. As there seems to be quite a lot of snobbery about it.

Can you give more info as I didn't find it on their website.

Apologies - a little busy, so this is copied and pasted from what I've posted elsewhere this morning.

This is a high quality 24/192 DAC with no less than seven inputs:

• 2 x COAX inputs (will accept up to 24bit/192kHz)

• 1 x AES/EBU balanced input (will accept up to 24bit/192kHz)

• 1 x USB input (will accept up to 24bit/192kHz, asynchronous)

• 1 x Optical input (will accept up to 24bit/96kHz)

• 1 x Bluetooth V 2.1 apt-x receiver (up to 24bit/48 kHz and up-sampled to 24bit/192kHz)

• 2 x RCA Analogue inputs

• 1 x COAX output

• 1 x Optical output

As well as a high quality headphone amplifier, the M1SDAC also has a built in pre-amplifier, allowing direct connection to a suitable power amplifier.

The M1SDAC retails for £799.

Interesting product! I'd prefer AptX output as well as input for compatible headphones. Another device that can feed a power amp directly!

A

Anonymous

Lots of good advice. Thanks.

After much thought I'd still prefer wall mounted speakers since I have a young active family and I have doors and windows without much wall space or corners to adequately place the speakers. Probably less chance that they'd be knocked around.

I still need to do more research on whether to go active or passive speakers. I hadn't considered active before and I'm not sure which would be best considering my budget. Bang & Olufsen make active speakers and could also be wall mounted. I heard them and they sound ok but not sure how they compare with others unfortunately.

Exoticsounds

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
B&O have just released a new model BeoLab 15, its a bit more "extreem" since its not for hanging on the wall but for building into the wall. A bit pricy too since there are also the BeoLab 16 (subwoofer) and Amplifier 1 to complete the set. But it should atleast have a high
WAF :grin:

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:
at 5k budget (and looking for 'accurate, neutral, low distortion sound' I would go for a set of active speakers at abt 4-4.5k and spend the rest on a modern source (e.g. mac mini, sonos, sb touch or another modern streamer, maybe a nas) and, importantly, think through the control so the system is very easy and pleasant to use.

All excellent advice, esp. the above and I'd also suggest at lower budgets too.

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
The OP's predicament sounds very familiar to me. Since years I wanted a hifi system that suits my needs for long term ownership and enjoyment. In my case it also had to look good and play music from a streamer, wifi or iPhone. My budget was about 5000.

In the end I chose B&O beolab 9. Am enjoying them for a few months now. Them are active and just sound right, whatever music you play, but especially good for classical as they are good at dynamics and scale. Very realistic too. IMO such amount of money is best spent on speakers not elsewhere. A B&O playmaker as source can be had for only 300. When you would feel the need to upgrade this you could, the speakers are capable of more. Any other ( passive )system you would probably need to upgrade speakers and amplifier too for any future upgrade. Food for thought. IMO active is just better value for money with such an investment. Whether you like the B&O sound or atc or pmc or anything else is a matter of personal taste.

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
For protection against toddlers fingers and what not, I would just place a baby gate like parents use to stop their children climbing the stairs.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I suspect with the right system, the OP will "pump it up a bit" with increasing regularity......the fact that a £5k budget was mentioned in the first place, leads me to believe that this might be part of the plan.

Do it once, and do it right! :shifty:

ahem

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
moon said:
CnoEvil said:
I suspect with the right system, the OP will "pump it up a bit" with increasing regularity......the fact that a £5k budget was mentioned in the first place, leads me to believe that this might be part of the plan.

Do it once, and do it right! :shifty:

ahem

:silenced:

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Sorry to divert back to the new MF DAC, I have heard the MF M1 DAC and have been hugely dissappointed on two seperate demos, at the same time I heard the MF Clic which was a huge improvement in performance and would regard it as the best dac I have heard so far.

I would like to think it might of just been my hearing but different people at the seperate demos also noticed the significant difference

I am at a loss to really understand why this is but was wondering if anyone,David in particular,could explain why this would be.

If I listen to the new MF DAC will it perform more like the original DAC or the Clic ?

I do know I will be finding out for myself shortly as well as the new Naim V1 dac.

Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts