New Year (high) Resolution ...

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
My resolution for this year is not to spend big money on hifi. So with this is mind I have allowed myself one small purchase for the New Year. For the grand sum of £80 I got a Simple Audio Roomplayer + high resolution streamer with amplifier which I just hooked up today.

Yes I know the company has gone t**s up ... but where else am I going to get that kind of value. Setting it up was a cinch and I have managed to get it working with a couple of streaming / internet radio services and working with a local music library. I can control it from a similarly expensive £80 Windows tablet.

I only have it hooked up at a desk through headphones at the moment, but it fits well with my paradigm of small compact hifi and sounds pretty good. Need to connect some speakers to it to see how that sounds but I am quite pleased for the moment.

If at some point the software or streaming services decide to give up the ghost, I believe it's possible to load Squeezebox software onto it. So all in all I think it's a win-win *music2*

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Am quite liking this little unit even if it is officially 'obsolete'. Got the unit working now using the in-built mains over Ethernet ... what a nice feature!

Anyone else got one and still using it?

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
No, only Hi Fi purchases this year will be a Sonos Sub for living room surround sound set up... I am curious about the Innuos though.

Anyone else got any Hi Fi purchases planned for 2017?

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

D

Deleted member 108165

Car needs a bit of expensive work to keep it going for another 10 years, but after that I'll be looking into a Korg DS-DAC-10R for ripping my vinyl collection. Apart from that the occasional CD or LP maybe.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I think I have everything I need. I may make a few small purchases like another CCA and the odd CD that I want in better quality than spotify, but sure I say that now until a read a good write up about something I didn't need, but need after reading the reviews

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
hi Tino,

See you have a SBT. Buying mine from Currys for £180 was the HiFi bargain of all time and see they now go for more on Fleabay - for good reason. It took 10mins to load Logitec server on my Mac, collate all music files and was up and running. Adding Radio Paradise AAC320 stream was a 3 minute job.

I was lured by the review of the Bluesound Node2 and the free MQA Beethoven piano concertos just released. Despite running it's app and iTunes plus other alac files on the same Mac, never the two did meet in 6 hours of frustration. Enabling file sharing etc as suggested, failed. The final solution is to download a third party file sharing app. You must be kidding, Bluesound, open your secure iMac to allcomers. What a pile of cr@p. It also caused a pulsing tizz in my tweeters when ethernet wired and the inbuilt radio paradise app was limited to 192 MP3. Doh.

Back it went and hopefully the squeezebox with last a little longer. Perhaps Logitec could sell their OS to the flakey Canadian software designers. They are not the only ones - Arcam CDS27 a dog's dinner on release.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
Macspur said:
No, only Hi Fi purchases this year will be a Sonos Sub for living room surround sound set up... I am curious about the Innuos though.

Mac

Yes. - It's new speaker time! *good*
Replacements for which? Focal, or SF and any brand in mind? Mac www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Macspur said:
Infiniteloop said:
Macspur said:

Mac

Replacements for which? Focal, or SF and any brand in mind? Mac www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

I'm not going to replace anything, these are in addition. I'm interested in KEF Reference 5's, PMC Fact 12's and Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution (The latter are being updated slightly according to my dealer).

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
Macspur said:
Infiniteloop said:
Macspur said:

Mac

I'm not going to replace anything, these are in addition. I'm interested in KEF Reference 5's, PMC Fact 12's and Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution (The latter are being updated slightly according to my dealer).
Big bucks! nice, I look forward to reading about your dems Mac www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Macspur said:
Infiniteloop said:
Macspur said:
Infiniteloop said:
Macspur said:

Mac

Big bucks! nice, I look forward to reading about your dems Mac www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

I'm in no hurry and this is my busiest time of year for business travelling, so it may take a while.....

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
emperor's new clothes said:
hi Tino,

See you have a SBT. Buying mine from Currys for £180 was the HiFi bargain of all time and see they now go for more on Fleabay - for good reason. It took 10mins to load Logitec server on my Mac, collate all music files and was up and running. Adding Radio Paradise AAC320 stream was a 3 minute job.

I was lured by the review of the Bluesound Node2 and the free MQA Beethoven piano concertos just released. Despite running it's app and iTunes plus other alac files on the same Mac, never the two did meet in 6 hours of frustration. Enabling file sharing etc as suggested, failed. The final solution is to download a third party file sharing app. You must be kidding, Bluesound, open your secure iMac to allcomers. What a pile of cr@p. It also caused a pulsing tizz in my tweeters when ethernet wired and the inbuilt radio paradise app was limited to 192 MP3. Doh.

Back it went and hopefully the squeezebox with last a little longer. Perhaps Logitec could sell their OS to the flakey Canadian software designers. They are not the only ones - Arcam CDS27 a dog's dinner on release.
Yes I have a couple of Squeezeboxes which I got for £135 and £160 when they were end of lifeing them at PC World/Currys. Great piece of kit that is amazingly versatile. It works wonderfully and the control apps run on just about any old piece of phone/computer hardware.

I have played with the NAD / Bluesound software and had a bit more success than you seem to have achieved. I thought it was OK, wasn't too difficult to set up, and worked consistently across a number of streaming services. Credit to NAD/Bluesound for their software updates which have already seen support for MQA.

I think my Squeezeboxes are for life. I have had other streaming equipment come and go, mostly because the software support deteriorates. But the Squeezeboxes just keep going ....

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Planning to sort a set of Linn Exakt compatible speakers then add in an Akurate Exaktbox for the active system I have always yearned for.

Then I am done til I'm dead. *biggrin*

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
Macspur said:
Infiniteloop said:
Macspur said:
Infiniteloop said:
Macspur said:

Mac

I'm in no hurry and this is my busiest time of year for business travelling, so it may take a while.....
O well, something to look forward to. Mac www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts