Question New vs Old Speakers

DistortedVision

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Today I was in discussion with a friend of mine who is a fellow audiophile. I am looking for speakers for a Tag McLaren system I've assembled (CDT20R, DAC20, T32, 60IRV & 60P). I was looking at buying some second hand Mordaunt Short Performance 6 speakers. Mostly because they look stunning. They are almost 20 years old now and the last pair sold for £1500. My friend argued that I'd be better buying new speakers for the same price as driver technology has made great advances in the past 10 years.

Do you agree or disagree?

Reactions: Mark Dunlop

DistortedVision

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
The main reason I wanted the Mordaunt Short Performance 6 is because they look stunning. But they hardly come up for sale anymore. They usually aren't in mint condition when they do.

Will continue my search and consider new speakers eg Monitor Audio's.

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
The main reason I wanted the Mordaunt Short Performance 6 is because they look stunning. But they hardly come up for sale anymore. They usually aren't in mint condition when they do.

Will continue my search and consider new speakers eg Monitor Audio's.
Don't hear much about Mordaunt Short probably been swallowed up by a conglomerate. I have heard the Festivals and Pageants and really liked them. If they had equivalents today I would be interested

Today I was in discussion with a friend of mine who is a fellow audiophile. I am looking for speakers for a Tag McLaren system I've assembled (CDT20R, DAC20, T32, 60IRV & 60P). I was looking at buying some second hand Mordaunt Short Performance 6 speakers. Mostly because they look stunning. They are almost 20 years old now and the last pair sold for £1500. My friend argued that I'd be better buying new speakers for the same price as driver technology has made great advances in the past 10 years.

Do you agree or disagree?
Did hear the Performance 6 at What hi-fi towers back in 2009, powered by Arcam AVR600. Awesome sounding speakers but they remind me of a giant air freshener.

Reactions: robdmarsh

DistortedVision

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
For me the MS Performance 6 look stunning. No speaker has come close in appearance. I'm in no rush so I'm going to monitor the second market to see if one turns up in the next 6 month. Currently, my alternatives are Monitor Audio Silver at £1225 but my friend Don reckons they are not as good as the What Hi-Fi review claims. He thinks I should purchase Monitor Audio Gold 200 but they are £3350 so this will mean I will have to save for a few more months.

Do not wish to get into debt purchasing hi-fi.

For me the MS Performance 6 look stunning. No speaker has come close in appearance. I'm in no rush so I'm going to monitor the second market to see if one turns up in the next 6 month. Currently, my alternatives are Monitor Audio Silver at £1225 but my friend Don reckons they are not as good as the What Hi-Fi review claims. He thinks I should purchase Monitor Audio Gold 200 but they are £3350 so this will mean I will have to save for a few more months.

Do not wish to get into debt purchasing hi-fi.
A few days ago I demod MA Golď 100. Wasn't that impressed. That's some claim coming from a MA fanboy.

Personally, given the age of Tag McClaren, the Dali Oberon 5 should fit the bill.

Attachments

• 20220316_131341.jpg
    20220316_131341.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: nopiano

DistortedVision

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
No they were the only ones I was interested that they had on demonstration.
I'm busy with work and studies. So I feel I'll should just buy them.

To complete this Tag McLaren system I'm looking for a PPA20 and I'll then add an Avid Ingenium Plug&Play turntable. This system will then be complete.

No they were the only ones I was interested that they had on demonstration.
I'm busy with work and studies. So I feel I'll should just buy them.

To complete this Tag McLaren system I'm looking for a PPA20 and I'll then add an Avid Ingenium Plug&Play turntable. This system will then be complete.
Tag McLaren used to make some good stuff. I once pondered buying, before my Arcam days, a 60i integrated amp.

Mark Dunlop

Nov 15, 2022
Visit site
I'm similarly interested to find out about advances in driver tech over the last decade or so. I'm using a pair of B&W DM602 S3 speakers from 2005/06. They were absolutely brilliant (and excellent value for £) when I bought them, but a combination of a lack of real interest in replacing them and a lack of £ to replace them with means I've never given serious consideration to buying newer speakers. I have a hunch that I'd need to go above £1500 to get an improvement, based purely on online research, but I suspect it's never going to be as noticeable as the difference between the B&Ws and the Gale 3020s they replaced! I suppose there are worse things to be "stuck" with than B&W speakers, though :)
m.d.

Reactions: Gray

Gray

I suspect it's never going to be as noticeable as the difference between the B&Ws and the Gale 3020s they replaced!
I think you're right.
I changed to B&W CDM1-NT from some much older (Spendor) and got quite an improvement overall.

My last change was to the smallest PMC (twenty 21) model.
Comparing the driver tech though, the PMC was nothing special, a plain paper mid/ bass compared to the Kevlar B&W.
(In that case the PMC transmission line made the difference).

As we all know, regardless of the tech, more than any other component potential new speakers must be heard, ideally with your amp, in your room.

enthusiast_cityzen

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
I want to share my experience with the brand new experience of GoldenEar BRX. I was very pleased with them, but after one year I decided to buy a 20 years old B&W 804 Nautilus. The price difference was 200 euros. They just can't compare in matter of sound.
I went for the old 800 B&W series at the recommendation of a friend who created music for 10 years. I think that if you go for a specific class, model of speakers, even if they are old you can't be wrong. If they are old it doesn't mean that they are stuck with the 80-90s hi-fi sound.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts