New TV Dilemma

clippedwings

Dec 29, 2020
Visit site
Hi All

Am in the market for a new telly, with about £1500-1800 to spend.

We've been looking at a Panny TX65HZ980 and an LG65CX5 both of which are apparently fab - both OLED, both supporting Dolby Vision HDR (which seems to be the format getting the upper hand in the HDR wars - or, to put it another way, its VHS, not Betamax!).

But then coming into view is a Samsung 8k TV for the same price range - but its QLED, which seems to be almost-but-not-quite-as-good-as OLED, and of course being Samsung there's no Dolby Vision.

So, we've got a dilemma. Future proof with the Samsung, albeit with a possibly inferior screen tech and less ubiquitous HDR? Or do we go for the best screen tech and HDR options?

Your thoughts please!

Boyce

Jan 24, 2020
Visit site
Hi All

Am in the market for a new telly, with about £1500-1800 to spend.

We've been looking at a Panny TX65HZ980 and an LG65CX5 both of which are apparently fab - both OLED, both supporting Dolby Vision HDR (which seems to be the format getting the upper hand in the HDR wars - or, to put it another way, its VHS, not Betamax!).

But then coming into view is a Samsung 8k TV for the same price range - but its QLED, which seems to be almost-but-not-quite-as-good-as OLED, and of course being Samsung there's no Dolby Vision.

So, we've got a dilemma. Future proof with the Samsung, albeit with a possibly inferior screen tech and less ubiquitous HDR? Or do we go for the best screen tech and HDR options?

Your thoughts please!
My opinion for what it’s worth definitely not the Samsung 8k
For me nothing beats the OLED Panel for clarity & sharpness & all round top quality picture.

I’m a total Convert to OLED & the prices are so much better these days aswell

Reactions: Tonestar1

TRENDING THREADS