New TV and receiver - which leads

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have recently bought a new tv ( 5090 kuro ) and receiver ( denon 1910 ) and being a newbie i'm a bit puzzled as to the leads to be using.

I have a hdmi lead for the tv to the receiver but it is from the sky box ( standard until jan then hd ) and from my dvd player to the receiver i am struggling.

Also the speakers from my home cinema system ( four year old sony dav ) have connectors on the end of the wires, do i strip these off to connect them to the denon.

Do i need hdmi leads from all of these ? Soon enough i will be getting a blu ray player but for now the kids ps3 will have to do, again what kind of lead will i need.

Sorry if these questions seem a bit simple but i forgot how much of a technophobe i am
emotion-10.gif

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Having looked at the rear of my sky box it does not seem to have compatible connections to my 1910 receiver.

Scart / audio in out / s video ?

It is four years old could this be a problem.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
As far as the Sky box is concerned you don't connect the video to the receiver, only audio (optical digital cable probably), the SCART needs to go straight to the TV.

You haven't told us what DVD player it is, if it only has SCART connectors for video you could be in trouble. However if you have a PS3 you don't need a DVD player anyway, just play DVDs through the PS3.

Also you probably won't be able to use the speakers from the Sony DAV (again, knowing which model it is would help), as they won't be full range speakers and the 1910 will probably destroy them.

You really need to fill in some of the details.

A

Anonymous

Problem all ready as i only have the mains power cable and the hdmi lead chased through the wall from the telly (now papered over too ).

The dvd player is part of my all in one home cinema system a Sony Dav-DZ700FW which i paid about £400 pound for 4 years ago so not sure about the speaker capabilities.

The dvd player has component video out if this helps.

As i will be getting sky hd at the beginning of jan can that then be connected through the receiver. I have read elsewhere it is still best to connect it straight to tv and sound to the receiver ?

Having for the time being connected the scart to the tv ( lead showing ) i have picture but no sound.

Again this might sound very silly but does my 5090 kuro have internal sound as i was planning to have it all through my home cinema via the 1910.

Starting to sound like i'm gonna have to get someone in who knows what there doing.

Thanks for the reply.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
jcm28:Problem all ready as i only have the mains power cable and the hdmi lead chased through the wall from the telly (now papered over too ).

Sounds like you might be doing some re-decorating then...

The dvd player is part of my all in one home cinema system a Sony Dav-DZ700FW which i paid about £400 pound for 4 years ago so not sure about the speaker capabilities.

To be honest, if you have a reciever and a PS3 you don't really need this any more. Annoyingly I can't get the manual from Sony's webpage (says it can't find it), so I can't get a figure for the frequency response for the main speakers, however they're not that huge, so I'm guessing the sub is going to be carrying some relatively high-frequencies (compared to what a sub running with full range speakers would be), which means they'll sound very weedy and lacking with bass if you use them with the 1910.

Also I notice the rear speakers are wireless, is that the case? I don't know how you'd use them with the 1910 if so. I think you're looking at a new set of speakers unfortunately.

The dvd player has component video out if this helps.

Again, there's little need to using this now, so it doesn't matter.

As i will be getting sky hd at the beginning of jan can that then be connected through the receiver. I have read elsewhere it is still best to connect it straight to tv and sound to the receiver ?

This is simply because SkyHD doesn't output surround (Dolby Digital) through the HDMI, only stereo, so you still need the optical connection to the amp to get DD. You then need to tell the amp to take the audio from the optical input when watching Sky. Plugging the HDMI straight into the TV simply removes the requirement to do that last step, as well as allowing you to watch TV without having to have the Receiver on, if you want to.

Having for the time being connected the scart to the tv ( lead showing ) i have picture but no sound.

Again this might sound very silly but does my 5090 kuro have internal sound

It does, but they aren't necessarily sold with speakers, depending on where you bought it the speakers are optional (the 5090 can have speakers mounted to the side or underneath the screen, hence you specify which option you want when you buy or you can get it without speakers, saves about 200 quid typically). This might be a silly question, but have you got speakers and if so, are they actually connected to the speaker terminals on the back of the screen?

as i was planning to have it all through my home cinema via the 1910.

That'll be a lot easier once you go to SkyHD.

Starting to sound like i'm gonna have to get someone in who knows what there doing.

It always helps...

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
You will be absolutely fine once you get Sky HD and you sell the Sony system. Buy new speakers and a blu-ray player and route everything via your Denon 1910. Then you will still only need a power lead for the TV and one HDMI to it from the Denon.

A

Anonymous

This sounds like the way out or forward. Only problem is i have a wood floor so problems with the rear speakers.

Here's me thinking i had thought this thing out.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Sorrreltiger

I have just bought a new Denon 1910 and have a set of Kef 2005.3 speakers on order. I already own a full HD TV, a Blue Ray player and SKY HD. Being a newbie i was wondering about the leads, i was going to buy a new HDMI lead for each product as the ones i have wont reach the amp.

What you are saying is that i need a HDMI from the TV to the amp and leave the Blue Ray and SKY as they are connected to the TV by the existing HDMI leads, and also i can remove the power leads from the Blu Ray and SKY? That would save me a lot of money in HDMI leads. Could you confirm that is what you are saying. Also any advice regarding speaker cable and HDMI cable would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Jim

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi Jim

First of all, it depends whether you want to use your amp and speakers all the time. If you do (and I find that it gives more impact, clarity and enjoyment to all TV programmes) it will simplify matters no end.

You can then use your new Denon as the hub of your system. The blu-ray player and Sky+HD box will connect to it by HDMI leads. The Sky box will also need to be connected by optical cable in order to send Dolby Digital sound, whereas picture AND sound are carried by the one HDMI cable from the blu-ray player.

The Denon will then be connected to the TV by a single HDMI cable. In order to view different sources, you select the relevant input on your amp. One option would be to buy a 'smart' remote like the Harmony One, which will do all the necessary powering up and down and input selecting once it's programmed on a computer - a very easy task.

Each of your components will need its own power source, so you need to make sure you have enough sockets. Some people invest in an extension lead such as those manufactured by Tacima (reviewed on this site) to provide a cleaner supply.

Hope that helps!

A

Anonymous

Thank you Sorreltiger, so i will in fact need 3 HDMI cables, one for the TV, one for BD and one for SKY. I do already have these but will have to buy new ones as they wont reach the amp. Fortunately i already have a harmony one. Ok i will get to work ordering my cables. Many thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts