New Turntable

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Due to what is likely turn out to be a bumper bonus this year (thank you, exchange rate), I'm considering pulling the trigger on a TT that will last me decades.

I've heard: Roksan Xerxes 20 plus, SME Model 10 and Model 15, Michell Orbe. - So far the Model 15 is in pole position. - Has anyone got other suggestions, has anyone heard a VPI?

Cheers.

Infiniteloop said:
Due to what is likely turn out to be a bumper bonus this year (thank you, exchange rate), I'm considering pulling the trigger on a TT that will last me decades.

I've heard: Roksan Xerxes 20 plus, SME Model 10 and Model 15, Michell Orbe. - So far the Model 15 is in pole position. - Has anyone got other suggestions, has anyone heard a VPI?

Cheers.

I heard a VPI Scout years ago but cannot remember what it was like although was not unpleasant. Unless you live in America getting to audition one is tricky.

Always remember that what you are hearing most is the cartridge.

If you have the finances for the SME 15 and probably SME arm, and Can still afford a cartridge that will do it justice then my money would be on this as well.

There are others like my Dr. Feickert but again tricky to audition.

I guess the bottom line will be decided by your end budget, there's little point in buying an expensive deck then fitting it with a cheap tonearm and cartridge.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
Infiniteloop said:

Cheers.

I heard a VPI Scout years ago but cannot remember what it was like although was not unpleasant. Unless you live in America getting to audition one is tricky.

If you have the finances for the SME 15 and probably SME arm, and Can still afford a cartridge that will do it justice then my money would be on this as well.

I guess the bottom line will be decided by your end budget, there's little point in buying an expensive deck then fitting it with a cheap tonearm and cartridge.

If I was to go for the Model 15, I'd go for the 15A which comes with the SME 309 arm. - There is obviously the option to further upgrade to the V, maybe later on.

As for cartridges, I've heard the Ortofon Cadenza black and the Cadenza blue, but cartridges are difficult to audition. I've read reviews of the Koetsu black and would love to hear one (I'm looking for a smooth sound).

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
nopiano said:
Similar opinion to Al, I heard a VPI in Tiverton a few years ago at Audio Destination, a very decent dealer. It retailed at c £2000 and was very good, though I wasn't too keen on the wire out of the arm arrangement ( I think it influences the bias, but not sure). The £6000 Prime Signature has a review in March 2017 HiFi News. They were very impressed.

The SME 15 has been reviewed as probably the best they've made in the real world and I'd jump at it! Especially if they are soon heading up in price, to push for the recent takeover.

After that, hunting for alternatives seems rather futile, unless you fancy a Linn. I've no idea of all the levels nowadays, but were I getting one I'd go to Cymbiosis, the dealer with a proprietor who travels the world setting them up.

Thanks for this. I'm not really keen on a Linn. I'm sure they can be great but I heard one a mate of mine had and it just sounded dull and lifeless, but that was probably more to do with the cart and how it was set up. They also look a bit too 70's......

Infiniteloop said:
Al ears said:
Infiniteloop said:

Cheers.

If I was to go for the Model 15, I'd go for the 15A which comes with the SME 309 arm. - There is obviously the option to further upgrade to the V, maybe later on.

As for cartridges, I've heard the Ortofon Cadenza black and the Cadenza blue, but cartridges are difficult to audition. I've read reviews of the Koetsu black and would love to hear one (I'm looking for a smooth sound).

The tonearm you mention is very good, I have the 10inch version. You can indeed upgrade to the IV or even V but probably will not need to.

What other equipment do you have? I only ask because the Cadenzas are moving coils. For what it's worth I, for smooth sound, would prefer the Bronze which is in between the two you mention.

Koetsus are outside of my price bracket unfortunately... ;-)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
Has anyone got other suggestions, has anyone heard a VPI?

Cheers.
I've heard the VPi Prime at the Bristol Show for the last two years (usually in the KEF room in the basement). Excellent sounding deck, and was quite surprised to learn of the price when I first heard it, as I was expecting something upwards of £5k. It would certainly be high up on my shopping list if I was looking around that sort of price point.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
davidf said:
Infiniteloop said:
Has anyone got other suggestions, has anyone heard a VPI?

Cheers.
I've heard the VPi Prime at the Bristol Show for the last two years (usually in the KEF room in the basement). Excellent sounding deck, and was quite surprised to learn of the price when I first heard it, as I was expecting something upwards of £5k. It would certainly be high up on my shopping list if I was looking around that sort of price point.

I'm going to try to get to the Bristol show, but I'm flying back from Bangkok the day before so might be too knackered to drive to Bristol from South Cheshire....

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
Infiniteloop said:
Al ears said:
Infiniteloop said:

Cheers.

The tonearm you mention is very good, I have the 10inch version. You can indeed upgrade to the IV or even V but probably will not need to.

What other equipment do you have? I only ask because the Cadenzas are moving coils. For what it's worth I, for smooth sound, would prefer the Bronze which is in between the two you mention.

I'll be running the TT through my Devialet 200 which has a built in (and apparently very good) phono stage ( I auditioned several TT's with this Amp). As I usually do, I'll be swapping between Focal Electra 1008Be and Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M speakers.

Last time I looked the Koetsu black was about the same as a Cadenza black.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
Infiniteloop said:
Al ears said:
Infiniteloop said:
Al ears said:
Infiniteloop said:

Cheers.

I'll be running the TT through my Devialet 200 which has a built in (and apparently very good) phono stage ( I auditioned several TT's with this Amp). As I usually do, I'll be swapping between Focal Electra 1008Be and Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M speakers.

You are correct. They are both approximately £1800 to £2000. What you have to remember is the Koetsu Black is an entry level cartridge, for them, whilst the Cadenza Black is top of that range. ;-)

Sure. But if the Koetsu black delivers something of the Koetsu house sound, it might be a worthwhile option.

Infiniteloop said:
Al ears said:
Infiniteloop said:
Al ears said:
Infiniteloop said:

Cheers.

You are correct. They are both approximately £1800 to £2000. What you have to remember is the Koetsu Black is an entry level cartridge, for them, whilst the Cadenza Black is top of that range. ;-)

Not to be overlooked is the Kiseki Blue NS...... even cheaper. ;-)

Similar opinion to Al, I heard a VPI in Tiverton a few years ago at Audio Destination, a very decent dealer. It retailed at c £2000 and was very good, though I wasn't too keen on the wire out of the arm arrangement ( I think it influences the bias, but not sure). The £6000 Prime Signature has a review in March 2017 HiFi News. They were very impressed.

The SME 15 has been reviewed as probably the best they've made in the real world and I'd jump at it! Especially if they are soon heading up in price, to pay for the recent takeover.

After that, hunting for alternatives seems rather futile, unless you fancy a Linn. I've no idea of all the levels nowadays, but were I getting one I'd go to Cymbiosis, the dealer with a proprietor who travels the world setting them up.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
nopiano said:
One place I could recommend that can potentially demo either Koetsu or Ortofon with a SME via a Dev into sf is Oxford Audio Consultants.

Yes, thanks for the suggestion. A bit of a trek from South Cheshire, but probably worth it before I make the purchase.

I auditioned the Model 10 with my Devialet and Focal 1008Be's and the Cadenza black and I really enjoyed the sound. - I didn't want the audition to end....

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
You might as well go for the best http://www.analogueseduction.net/brinkmann/brinkmann-bardo-turntable.html?currency=1

Infiniteloop said:
nopiano said:
One place I could recommend that can potentially demo either Koetsu or Ortofon with a SME via a Dev into sf is Oxford Audio Consultants.

Yes, thanks for the suggestion. A bit of a trek from South Cheshire, but probably worth it before I make the purchase.

I auditioned the Model 10 with my Devialet and Focal 1008Be's and the Cadenza black and I really enjoyed the sound. - I didn't want the audition to end....

If I was going to part with that sort of money then I would take a day trip to Oxford. ;-)

You never know for the same sort of money you could get a better sound to what you've already heard.

The Brinkmann Bardo suggested is a good idea if you're a fan of direct drive, but again may be difficult to audition. Analogue Seduction do them but they are in Cambridgeshire.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
At that sort of money, although not having heard any of your choices, i would speak to Inspire hi-fi and look to dem the Monarch 2.1, it gets good reviews, Inspire are very good to deal with.

http://www.inspirehifi.co.uk/monarch-mk2.1.html

and based in Chesterfield

Infiniteloop said:
Is there much to be gained by looking at a deck with the ability to accommodate a 12" arm? One or two VPI's do this that would be in budget.
For me it relies upon you having long-held beliefs about tracing error and its effect on sound. I used to know the geometry well, but rather as with VTA, it is something nowadays it seems pointless to get hung up upon. I'd spend the money on the cartridge rather than a longer arm, though if the bonus is really handsome, the SME twelve inch model looks like a dream!

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
... any tonearm that sports an aerial for picking up RFI. This would discount VPI.

The option of a 12 inch arm would appeal to me. I like the Analogue Works TTs and they do a version of the TTOne that accommodates 12 inch arms. If I had the budget I'd talk to them about a similar bespoke version of the TTTwo.

Infiniteloop said:
Is there much to be gained by looking at a deck with the ability to accommodate a 12" arm? One or two VPI's do this that would be in budget.

My deck will do this. It does mean the tonearm gets a fair bit more expensive though. Surely the SME with their 10 inch arm might be a happy medium. It works for me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts