New turntable, preamp, hifi set up

Danb89

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
Hi all

just after some advice just bought a rega rp1 and a nad phono preamp pp 2e to connect to my Sony mini hifi until I upgrade my speakers, I followed the instructions with connections and was connecting into the audio in port on the front of the hifi but no sound... There's nothing wrong with the sony does everything else, just can't for the life of me see what's gone wrong any ideas?

thanks in advance for any help anyone's able to give

Dan

Danb89 said:
Hi all

just after some advice just bought a rega rp1 and a nad phono preamp pp 2e to connect to my Sony mini hifi until I upgrade my speakers, I followed the instructions with connections and was connecting into the audio in port on the front of the hifi but no sound... There's nothing wrong with the sony does everything else, just can't for the life of me see what's gone wrong any ideas?

thanks in advance for any help anyone's able to give

Dan

Welcome to the forum. I am not up on Sony mini systems. Which one is it exactly and what cable are you using to connect it to the NAD.

Which instructions told you to connect to a port on the front? Whatever that is, these are normally for iPods and the like.

Mark Rose-Smith said:
Sounds like the op trying to use a headphone socket.

To the op..there should be an auxiliary in......at the back of the Sony unit with which should be traditional rca(phono plugs)to connect the pre amp to the Sony system.

Unless there is a 3.5mm stereo jack plug in front but it's unusual. Like you said turntables normally connect to one of the rear line in socket sets.

Danb89

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
Hi all thanks for the replies it's an audio in port in the front a jack connection, this is the specific model I have

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/2688578131.pdf

The back of the unit is smoother than a babies butt haha

Danb89

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
In reply to the other question I'm using a phono lead to jack lead to connect currently, also tried the same into the Jack port on my sound bar and that didn't work either but I'm less fussed about that

Danb89 said:
Yeah I believe so, I've got the red and white phono lead one end and the Jack the other

In that case I believe it's an amplification problem or a problem with that lead. You say there is no sound when plugging into soundboard either so it may be in both cases the line level output from the NAD is not going through the preamplifier sections on both devices.

Perhaps these jack ports are only for something that has its own volume control. I am not certain about this mind you and can only suggest you try it with a different lead as this seems common to both situations.

Furthermore, have you used the Nad successfully before? I mean are you sure it is working?

Danb89

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
Appreciate all your help, I bought the nad from a very reputable source second hand so im sure that works , I'll try a different lead next just incase, I was just wondering if it was possible at all or if it's just something silly like a faulty lead which hopefully it is

Danb89 said:
Appreciate all your help, I bought the nad from a very reputable source second hand so im sure that works , I'll try a different lead next just incase, I was just wondering if it was possible at all or if it's just something silly like a faulty lead which hopefully it is

Another thought is to check the socket on the front of amp is actually working. Do you have iPod or something else you could connect to it and does that socket actually have to be selected somewhere in the amps set-up for it to be recognized?

Danb89

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
I'll give that go when I get in, would be surprised if the socket didn't work used it plenty in the past although not lately must say I'll pick up a new lead and try that too

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Also, (assuming you have a Moving Magnet cartridge) check on the NAD phono-amp that you have the lead from the turntable plugged into the MM inputs, that you have the slider switch to MM and the cable to the Sony pugged into the Preout sockets.

I have read the Sony instructions you linked to, and there is indeed a line level input in the front, which is probably as AlEars said, a 3.5mm stereo input. Does the cable look like this?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-essentials-35mm-stereo-jack-to-twin-phono-cable-15m-a77nu

You are confident the NAD works, but how about the Rega? Is that secondhand too? It presumably has a cartridge with stylus, and both the Rega and NAD are plugged in, both to mains and to each other? (I don't think the NAD is battery powered). I realise these are basic points, but something is awry.

If you can post pics of your connections, we might be able to spot something.

Danb89

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
Yeah that's what the lead looks like, thanks for all your help, I'll post pictures tonight when I get in of all the connections gonna buy a new lead on the way home too if I can to eliminate that issue, bought the rega from the same source seen it working

Danb89

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
Sorted!! Bought a new lead (although I think it was unnecessary) I'm pretty sure I followed the box instructions too closely and had the lead plugged into MC instead of MM yesterday, shouldn't have tried to sort it whilst in a mad rush, appreciate all the help I would've likely done the exact same thing as yesterday too had I not had your advice so thoroughly appreciated

Danb89 said:
Sorted!! Bought a new lead (although I think it was unnecessary) I'm pretty sure I followed the box instructions too closely and had the lead plugged into MC instead of MM yesterday, shouldn't have tried to sort it whilst in a mad rush, appreciate all the help I would've likely done the exact same thing as yesterday too had I not had your advice so thoroughly appreciated

Excellent. It always helps if you just work through things logically eliminating one by one.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts