New to headphones

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Neaver used H/phones befor. looking at a headphone amp with two outputs, 'Pro-Ject Head Box SEII' seems to fit my finances? Would be feeding this from the 'tape out' on my Icon Stereo 40mkIII valve amp. No mobility required, the idea is late night, not upsetting neighbours, two outputs required as Hazel and myself sit and listen . . .

Assuming a budget of £100, squeezing a tad more???? I have been recomended the Audio Technica M50, hense the squeeze . . . but Grado SR60 - SR80 would fit better finacialy? Two pairs of phones required so that £100 each.

So, what do you think, any other sugestions, as I say, know nothing so the above is simply me hosing around at the moment trying to get an idea of how to proceed?

CJSF

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Smart choice, having independent volume controls. ATH M50 is a good headphone choice, and the newer Grado SR80's are good too. One of those is closed and the other open, so that may work OK insofar as one of you is isolated and the other not.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Mmmm . . . I worry about 'open backed' headphones, as we sit within a foot or two of each other on the sofa. Would the tizz, tizz be audible if we both had open backs, trouble is, I thought open backs were suposed to present better image and things??? But yes I can see the one and one point . . . I think?

So confusing, I can go try, if I'm prepared to drive 100 miles . . . my nearest 'proper hifi shop', that have headphones on dem, 30 pairs they tell me, with a concentration in the £100 bracket. Brands stock, limited to Audio Technica, Grado and Senhizer.

Sorry guys, trying not to be negative . . . but out of my depth, I worry and go round in circles . . . ?

Been talking to the Pro-ject importers this afternoon, they tell me the AT M50's are designed as studio monitor cans, hear everything! earphone versions of LS35'a . . . as I have a soft spot for the 35a . . . Not as smiple as that, studio desk, they plug into, so, I believe a twisted coil cable is employed, heavy, not ideal for domestic use??? . . . nothing is straight forward ..................... :wall:

CJSF

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
The M50 is good, but not excellent nor is it neutral, i.e. that which reproduces accurately. And having both headphones open isn't just a "tizz" - it's having a second concert in the background during all the soft passages you're listening to. One open and one closed would probably work.

For accurate reproduction in an open headphone, I'd recommend a Senn HD800 or Shure 1840, both expensive. The Grado PS500 is also quite good. The SR80 is well below that in fidelity, and comfort is a serious issue for many people with Grado pads. The M50 I find uncomfortable also, but I assume it's in budget range, so not much can be done there.

Edit: I had LS3/5a's, purchased in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. Lovely sound. The M50 is no LS3/5a.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
dalethorn said:
The M50 is good, but not excellent nor is it neutral, i.e. that which reproduces accurately. And having both headphones open isn't just a "tizz" - it's having a second concert in the background during all the soft passages you're listening to. One open and one closed would probably work.

For accurate reproduction in an open headphone, I'd recommend a Senn HD800 or Shure 1840, both expensive. The Grado PS500 is also quite good. The SR80 is well below that in fidelity, and comfort is a serious issue for many people with Grado pads. The M50 I find uncomfortable also, but I assume it's in budget range, so not much can be done there.

Edit: I had LS3/5a's, purchased in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. Lovely sound. The M50 is no LS3/5a.

There you go, the importers tell you one thing, hands on experiance something totaly different, thanks Dale. Also take the point re two sets of open back, sounds like a bad idea.

???????????? :? CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Mmm . . . :? Having done a bit more reserch into 'headphones' . . . I have revised the budget? Looking to £250 maybe for one pair and a little less for a second pair, the reasoning behind the lowere price for Hazels pair is simply that she has a small head, she is disabled and finds large phones uncomfortable.

So, looking at buying on reviews, we have visited the local electric shops, being able to assertain this problem Hazel might have with comfort? Closed back phones seems best . . . ? So the reviews throw up AKG K550, avaliable on the net for around £160 and AKG K450 might suit Hazel for size?

Not the best way to do things, buying off the web, but I cant see any other option, the local shops do not cater for quality hifi, its iPod mobile, mobile, mobile!!! What brands and model to choose, any pointers . . . or ideas?

CJSF

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
For the lady I'd recommend a Soundmagic P30 or Beyerdynamic DTX501p (same thing), for both sound quality and comfort. For you if you're keenly interested in the K550, I would suggest reading the review and list of comments at the Headfonia site (google it). If you're still set on the K550, there you go, else .....

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
dalethorn said:
For the lady I'd recommend a Soundmagic P30 or Beyerdynamic DTX501p (same thing), for both sound quality and comfort. For you if you're keenly interested in the K550, I would suggest reading the review and list of comments at the Headfonia site (google it). If you're still set on the K550, there you go, else .....

Mmm . . . thanks dale, never thought of ear plug type fpr Hazel, will discuss, see what she thinks??? . . . Have been reading up the K550 . . . ? What has come out of it is the Audio Technica ATH-A500x . . . as a possibility? As I said I have no hard and fast or pre conceived ideas, but I do have to start somewhere, atleast rattle the cage befor I part with cash . . .

I have decided the only way is to make the 100 mile journy next week to get some meaningfull demos?

CJSF

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
The Soundmagic is not an in-ear type. Google it and the Beyer. My favorite full size closed headphones are the Sennheiser Momentum, Beyer DT770-32LE, v-moda M100, and Shure 940 with simple brightness modification. Most that I've tried are uncomfortable and/or don't produce high fidelity sound. The new K551 may also be an improvement over the K550, neither of which I've tried.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi CJSF,

I'm a bit late to this party but I see that Dale has recommended some good ones. The Sennheiser Momentum warm and bassy but great. It doesn't sit around the ear properly though and thus not ultimately comfortable, but the pads are lovely and soft. The Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro Limited Edition is great, much more comfortable, less warm that the Momentum but perhaps more bass kick. It's a very clean and enjoyable sound! I would also throw in the SoundMAGIC HP100 as a recommendation for you. It's a bit less bassy than the DT770/LE but it's very deep and smooth bass, generally it's more neutral than the DT770 too, but still lots of top end sparkle without being too fatiguing. Personally I don't think the HP100 can be better for it's meager £170 price tag. The only down side is that it will out of stock for aother month or so, if that one does tempt you I recommend waiting and getting it from an official dealer.

I will be writing reviews for the first two headphones soon, but the HP100 I do have a review for:

http://noblehifi.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/soundmagic-hp100-review.html

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
OK, thanks all for input so far . . . I'm begining to get a feel for what is going on? I still have not listened to anything that makes any sence, we have however, worked out that my idea of a full size phone job will probably not suit Hazel and her physical problems? The sugestion of a pair of DTX501p for Hazel is on the list.

Me, thats a diferent story, neither of us want mobile type headphones, which seems to cover a large part of the market, hate the idea of coiled wire, it would be a deal breaker for me? We have a basic audiophile, two chanel valve setup, with PMC LB1 transmission line studio monitor speakers.

The music we generaly listen to is not hard driven rock, nore is it big auditorium classical, we like it smooth and easy, ranging from jazz to grogorian chant. Tom Waits, Lenard Cohen, Syd Lawrence, Peter Gabriel, Jeff Beck, Tallis Scholars, names of artist at the top of my 'to file' pile of vinyl records.

More than a singl pair of phone each is not an option, closed back preferd for practicality? Is there such an animal as a good general purpose set of resonably priced head phones? Is ther any where in East Anglia, that have a decent demo facility . . . ?

Moving away from AKG 550's . . . perhaps to Audio Technica ATH-A500x/A700x? . . . all on review coments . . . ??? parting with money on review goes against my grain . . . . I'd seriously consider the SoundMAGIC HP100 but for the coiled cable. I need to hear the Beyedynamic range, worried about the strong base?

. . . confused and frustrated, but I will get there!!!! . . . CJSF

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Neither wants mobile-type headphone. So out goes the DTX501p, and enter a decent full size headphone? The price in U.S. dollars will more than double, probably same in sterling. To the question, is there a decent full size general purpose closed headphone with good fidelity and not harsh sounding? Best bets are Shure 940 and Beyer DT770-32 limited edition (unless the general edition will suffice, don't know). With valve amps any excess brightness would not likely be an issue.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts