Here:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/schwarzenegger-play-ageing-terminator-162959099.html

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
Here:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/schwarzenegger-play-ageing-terminator-162959099.html

good grief - just read the article, all sounds a bit contrived.

Like they said in the first film, arnie "absolutely will not stop" (unfortunately).

T

theflyingwasp

The film might be good but the iconic Arnold for me is long gone.the running man,predator,commando, total recall and of course T1 and T2 were awesome I even enjoyed his mid to late 90s films true lies , eraser and end of days but lately with the last stand and escape plan he is just an old man now which to be fair he is.

i am looking forward to his new action film sabotage directed by David Ayer director of training day,street kings,end of watch and harsh times.top notch cast and director hopefully it will be the Arnold of old.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Oh dear...does the world need a pentionater movie?? Seriously poor idea and stinks of a cash in, if a Terminator is going to be made they need to go back to the drawing board and start again with a fresh story and fresh cast.

D

Deleted member 2457

Oldboy said:
Oh dear...does the world need a pentionater movie?? Seriously poor idea and stinks of a cash in, if a Terminator is going to be made they need to go back to the drawing board and start again with a fresh story and fresh cast.

Agreed. It definitely needs to be an improvement on the last two!

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
gel said:
Oldboy said:

Three was rubbish but I really enjoyed the Christian Bale one.

D

Deleted member 2457

BenLaw said:
gel said:
Oldboy said:

Yep, three was terrible, the acting and plot was shocking!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
BenLaw said:
gel said:
Oldboy said:

Yeah I never understood what the problem with it was. It was used in the paradigm demo at the 2013 Bristol show as well. That was impressive!

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
The only good thing about part three was Kristanna Loken as the terminator hmmmmmmmm.

I cannot forgive them for Salvation, what the heck was that portrayal of Kyle Reece about!! They made him into a wimp and he is the total oppostie.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
The only good bit about three was the last 5 minutes (when they realise it has all been in vain and the nukes start flying with the resulting explosions seen for space). I mean seriously, nano-technology driving trucks with manual transmissions?? (How the hell did they change the gears!!??). I know that it many ways that's not the most implausible part of any terminator film, but even the most outrageous sci-fi film can have a tipping point where your brain just says "n'ah, I'm not buying that".

Salvation was almost very good, they just somehow managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

One promising incarnation was the Sarah Connor Chronicles TV series where they took the story down an alternate timeline, but they binned that after 2 series. Really do wish they'd give it a rest now.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Thats just it with Sci-Fi you have to suspend that disbelief. My favourite is when in Part one the terminator crashes after the chase, then decides to run away when the police come. Seriously! the terminator ran away.... :doh:

A small part of me likes Salvation, i remember watching it in the Cinema and almost falling asleep, then suddenly CGI Arnie popped up and I almost jumped out my seat with excitment.

I think they need to give it a rest, you are right there. Arnold is too old now and its only going to get worse at this point. I would be totally satisfied if we had Arnold play the human scientist the terminator was based on. This way we avoid an ageing terminator and start with a new cast ready to move us onto a new story. They are doing it with Star Wars, why not the terminator too?

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
duaplex said:
I would be totally satisfied if we had Arnold play the human scientist the terminator was based on. This way we avoid an ageing terminator and start with a new cast ready to move us onto a new story. They are doing it with Star Wars, why not the terminator too?

yep, could see how that could work, have him play a human character for once and make clear that's his swan-song.

You might want to copyright that one!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
duaplex said:
I think they need to give it a rest, you are right there. Arnold is too old now and its only going to get worse at this point. I would be totally satisfied if we had Arnold play the human scientist the terminator was based on.

Really? You actually find the idea of Ahnold Schwarzenegger as a scientist MORE believable than the idea that the flesh on a Terminator would age like normal flesh does?

I thought it was a good idea, the humans send a re-programmed Terminator back in time but get the calculations wrong and it goes back 100 years too early, finds a cave somewhere to wait and re-emerges 100 years later (the batteries have a lifespan of 200 years remember) when needed (complete with Gandalf beard and hair). Seems perfectly logical to me. Worked for a DeLorean at any rate...

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
This can be plausible but Terminator lore has never given us the chance to have an ageing terminator or certainy an idea of one. Let me expain my reasoning.

In Terminator 2 they make it clear that the terminator was intercepted and reprogrammed into a good guy, this is the same machine that was sent to kill Sarah Connor. Problem is that Arnold was clearly aged and no explanation given. Then in Part 3 (the one we all wish never happened) he is sent back again but more aged. Once more, no explanation give as to why he was aged and is also the same machine in part one, again we are told he is sent back for sentimental reasons. Now unless we are saying the rebels caught him, stored him in a cave and then programmed him when needed? That could work, but there was no indication it was true.

Now I can totally believe your version with the cave etc and it would be cool if they explained that, but so far there is no suggestion of it. So an aged scientist in the future is more plausible as he would fit in, rather than have CGI Arnie or worse.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
duaplex said:
This can be plausible but Terminator lore has never given us the chance to have an ageing terminator or certainy an idea of one. Let me expain my reasoning.

In Terminator 2 they make it clear that the terminator was intercepted and reprogrammed into a good guy, this is the same machine that was sent to kill Sarah Connor.

Err, no it wasn't! *A* Terminator was captured and reprogrammed, nowhere do they claim it's the same one. If they'd intercepted the original Terminator it would never have gone back in the first place to try to kill Sarah Connor.

Problem is that Arnold was clearly aged and no explanation given. Then in Part 3 (the one we all wish never happened) he is sent back again but more aged. Once more, no explanation give as to why he was aged and is also the same machine in part one, again we are told he is sent back for sentimental reasons.

Again, no, John Connor even asks him if he remembers him and the Terminator tells him "That was a different T-800 unit" and that his model was chosen specifically because John Connor would have an emotional attachment because it looks the same. That's not the same as saying it IS the same machine. Because it isn't.

I'm afraid you've completely mis-heard/mis-understood what's going on, it's a different T-800 in each film.

Now I can totally believe your version with the cave etc and it would be cool if they explained that, but so far there is no suggestion of it. So an aged scientist in the future is more plausible as he would fit in, rather than have CGI Arnie or worse.

I'm just saying the idea of Arnie as a scientist is ridiculous both from an acting point of view and the plausability of it, when was the last time you saw a scientist that looked like that?

Besides, the machine that looks like its creator is too much of a lift from the Alien franchise (Lance Henriksen, specifically).

The_Lhc said:
I'm just saying the idea of Arnie as a scientist is ridiculous both from an acting point of view and the plausability of it, when was the last time you saw a scientist that looked like that?

220px-Juniorposter.jpg

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
When they say they captured a Terminator, I always interpreted that as the original Terminator. That particular machine was modelled around the scientist. Even Kyle Reece says that human skin was grown to make them harder to detect. If we had the same cloned skin/flesh on all then that would mean they are easier to spot, which clearly is not the case. They must be all different by that logic and hence the machine captured was the one originally sent back. I accept that films have plot holes.

Interesting though because you can read into that more deeply as you did, yes I accept it could be another, but that makes no sense. Let’s just not get into the time travel mess that is The Terminator, otherwise we will be talking about Chaos theory before you know it.
C:UsersDuaplexAppDataLocalTempmsohtmlclip11clip_image001.gif

John Connor asking him about the T-800.... This is the part I say you could be correct and maybe I have misunderstood it. Then again I did watch it a while back now.... right time to crack it on!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
No, there is more than one "model" of T-800 but only a limited number of different ones, so many of them will look the same. Think about it, chronologically speaking the first Arnie model John Connor sees is the one in Salvation (because at that point they haven't captured a terminator and sent it back in time) and that one is destroyed, so there's no way the Arnie's could all be the same terminator.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Yep completely correct in saying it's a different terminator in each film. That's how I always thought it was and to suggest it's the same one in every movie makes absolutely no sense simply because of the plot holes that open up if that's the case.

TRENDING THREADS