New Tannoy Legacy range anybody?

insider9

Considering how much people are willing to spend on vintage speakers, making new vintage looking range is great. The benefits of new speakers with the vintage look and perhaps even sound.

insider9 said:
Any idea of how good these are going to be (assuming design is similar/same)?

Obviously not.

I am old enough to (vaguely remember) one of the originals. I'm assuming they will not be similar. However. I am always open to surprises.

My main worry is that they will be priced way out of reach. Which may be good for Tannoy and not necessarily for me. ;-)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
insider9 said:
I suppose in theory they have the possibility of sounding much better than the originals, based on the amount speaker manufacturers have learned about the intricacies of sound reproduction, cabinet bracing, materials, driver behaviour, vibration control etc etc over the past 40 years or so.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
chebby said:
Al ears said:
Anyone else bored with narrow-fronted inefficient speakers?

http://www.whathifi.com/news/tannoy-reintroduces-its-legacy-speaker-seri...

Something to add an alternative to the Heco Direkt?

Just so I can click on it.

Thanks chebby. I cannot seem to create a link when posting from my tablet. :)

Copy the URL you want to link to. Place the cursor where you want the link to appear in your text (or highlight a word/phrase you want people to click on).

Now click on the 'link' button (just to the right of the underline icon 'U'). On the resultant panel click in the box where you enter the URL. Now click on it again and the 'paste' option will appear. Click on it then 'submit'

This works on my iPhone and iPad Mini.

chebby said:
Al ears said:
chebby said:
Al ears said:
Anyone else bored with narrow-fronted inefficient speakers?

http://www.whathifi.com/news/tannoy-reintroduces-its-legacy-speaker-seri...

Something to add an alternative to the Heco Direkt?

Just so I can click on it.

Thanks chebby. I cannot seem to create a link when posting from my tablet. :)

Copy the URL you want to link to. Place the cursor where you want the link to appear in your text (or highlight a word/phrase you want people to click on).

Now click on the 'link' button (just to the right of the underline icon 'U'). On the resultant panel click in the box where you enter the URL. Now click on it again and the 'paste' option will appear. Click on it then 'submit'

This works on my iPhone and iPad Mini.

Many thanks. I have a Kindle Fire HD when I am away at work. Will try this and see if it can be done as directed.

I remember these when the originals came out. My recollection is that they were ok in large room, as long as you liked a sort of radiogram sound, but not very neutral or 'clean'. I think the middle model was the one I disliked least!

I hope they have improved the sound. Nice piece of furniture I suppose, to match the teak G-plan!

davidf said:
insider9 said:
I suppose in theory they have the possibility of sounding much better than the originals, based on the amount speaker manufacturers have learned about the intricacies of sound reproduction, cabinet bracing, materials, driver behaviour, vibration control etc etc over the past 40 years or so.

We can only hope so as I fear these are not going to be cheap.... ;-)

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm hoping it triggers other speaker manufacturers to bring out "short but wide" speakers as opposed to the current vogue of "tall and thin". I like the idea of a big taut woofer giving a realist bass drum "thump" combined with modern midrange and tweeters in a 3-way design.

My dad's old Wharfedales (real Wharfedales made by blokes in flat caps smoking Woodbine's and drinking bitter) sounded good in their day and survived me and my brother's teenage heavy metal parties through the early-mid 80s.

My personal need is for speakers that will eventually go under a projector screen that will span virtually a whole 12'6" wall without blocking the view.

And the wife would appreciate furniture grade (in the looks department) over black or faux rosewood monoliths that resemble the obelisks in 2001: A Space Odyssey!

Benedict_Arnold said:
I'm hoping it triggers other speaker manufacturers to bring out "short but wide" speakers as opposed to the current vogue of "tall and thin". I like the idea of a big taut woofer giving a realist bass drum "thump" combined with modern midrange and tweeters in a 3-way design.

My dad's old Wharfedales (real Wharfedales made by blokes in flat caps smoking Woodbine's and drinking bitter) sounded good in their day and survived me and my brother's teenage heavy metal parties through the early-mid 80s.

My personal need is for speakers that will eventually go under a projector screen that will span virtually a whole 12'6" wall without blocking the view.

And the wife would appreciate furniture grade (in the looks department) over black or faux rosewood monoliths that resemble the obelisks in 2001: A Space Odyssey!

Then it's going to depend on what height you have under that screen. Most decent wide and thin are also going to be tallish. Look at the Heco Direkt for instance.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts