New System Help

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Overdose said:
S.Coates said:
Given that Susan thinks streaming is difficult to understand, I doubt she wants to go down the ad-hoc/peer-to-peer network route...which was my point.

Would never recommend AVI active speakers personally...besides, as I said, one look will be enough to put Susan off! Meridan's are finshed several leagues better, plus are signigicantly more sophisticated in terms of tailoring sound parameters etc.

A NAS needs to be no more complicated than plug and play and your point seemed to be very much that broadband speed was in some way connected to NAS performance on a LAN.

There is a huge amount of choice and more than one solution, the most expensive of these not neccessarily being the best. I quite like the iMac (big screen) and active speakers solution, particularly the ADM40s (definitely worth a listen, I feel), although the suggestion that Meridian might be the pinnacle, is probably stretching the imagination somewhat.

Amen!

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
S.Coates said:
The Sooloos is incredibly user friendly with an absolutely brilliant interface and whilst it's not cheap, you're buying not just sophisitcated electronics but fantastic support from Meridian and it's dealer network. Their products also have considerable re-sale / trade-in value. Inflexible, it certainly is not -I don't understand the 'one trick pony' reference at all.It makes no sense whatsoever.

What components do you use S.Coates?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
SusanB said:
I would like a high class, good sounding and looking unobstusive and simple to use sytem which supports recording my cds on a hard drive and then ideally playing locally.

Upon reflection, I think that the previously suggested iMac/ADM40 solution would be perfect for you.

If you already have an iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch, then you also have an excellent remote!

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Overdose said:
Upon reflection, I think that the previously suggested iMac/ADM40 solution would be perfect for you.

If you already have an iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch, then you also have an excellent remote!

Just out of interest, why the iMac and not a Mac Mini?

A

Anonymous

Thank you so much for the help so far, especially to S.Coates.

Trying to answer all the questions:

Yes, I have a laptop - my Macbook Air, plus an Ipad and an Iphone, but I don't want them to be involved in my hifi as I am invariably using them! I definitely want to have a music server but not a network dependent system, hence my interest in the Olive. Whilst sound quality is important, I want simplicity and useability and am willing to pay for it. Budget, well, within reason, I will pay whatever it costs but ideally less than £10,000 or so. I didn't think the Olive is expensive but happy to take advice that it might not be the right solution. I really do not like the idea of a Mac Mini or anything else which is obviously pc looking. Having spent some time looking at the AVI website, I don't feel their speakers, however good they might be, are for me. They simply do not compare to the looks of the Meridians. Today, I actually got to see and hear the DSP 3200 and Music Core 200 in person and compared to other speakers I've owned over the years, they are just amazing sounding and look incredible. They are owned by a business colleague, someone who designs acoustics solutions for theatres and stadiums - he uses them as a second system, with the first being much larger Meridian speakers, if they're good enough for him they will be me! He did suggest bigger speakers though, maybe Meridan DSP 5200 or M6 and while I would consider the former, the latter's looks do nothing for me! Would definitely be happy with an all Meridan system - they also make the hifi in my car - so maybe I need to spend a bit more than £10,000 and buy the Sooloos system and bigger speakers!

Again, thank you to everyone for your suggestions.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
A Mac mini would work, but the screen from the iMac (and other functions) would add a bit of flexibility if ever it was to be put to other uses than pure media roles, also, again as mentioned before, the cover art or visuals would look great.

A Mac mini (assuming new) would also need a Superdrive attached externally to carry out ripping duties, so making a slightly less elegant solution, albeit functional.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Good stuff Susan - no better way to make decisions than listening.

With that budget and a desire for good looking kit, I would get myself to a load of dealers and audition like mad.

A

Anonymous

BenLaw What components do you use S.Coates? [/quote said:
Not sure what the relevance is but Chord: Mezzo 140, Prima, Blu and QBD76 plus M&D Muse IIa

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
S.Coates said:
BenLaw said:
What components do you use S.Coates?

Not sure what the relevance is but Chord: Mezzo 140, Prima, Blu and QBD76 plus M&D Muse IIa

Nothing sinister, I just find it interesting to know where someone's coming from. You're a lucky man, great system :) Had never heard of the speakers before so had a quick google, they sound impressive :) How did you come across them and how do they sound?

A

Anonymous

Hi, work often takes me to the US indeed, I was on secondment at St Marys in Georgia for a while, and got friendly with some guys who were very much into hi-fi, particularly US made hi-fi, which to me invariably seemed hugely powerful and detailed but very bright. They wanted to introduce me to stuff 1) I'd never heard of 2) Wasn't the stereotypical American sound, and that was my introduction to M&D. I was amazed by the Muses - I first heard them blind and assumed they would be massive but they're actually really small by the standards of some the monsters I'd seen there! Actually by most floorstanders sizes, although M&D do make even smaller ones! Incredibly transparent, wonderfully balanced yet at the same time capable of massive dynamics given their size. The trade off is they are very difficult to drive (requiring lots of power!) but I knew my Chords would be fine, so untested together, I ordered them and had them shipped direct (there is a UK dealer - Kronos in Northern Ireland) and luckily the electronics and speakers sounded magical together! For their price, I think they’re an absolute bargain.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Interesting story, thanks :) Kronos are used by forum member CnoEvil so I wonder whether he's heard them also. I see what you mean on power hungry, nominal impedance 4ohm and recommended amps of at least 120w! Do they go as low as claimed? Oh and please tell me you got them in the optional orange finish! ;)

A

Anonymous

Not the lowest speakers ever but amazing for their size. Nah, obviously whimped out as went for white!

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
S.Coates said:
Not the lowest speakers ever but amazing for their size. Nah, obviously whimped out as went for white!

:grin: Anyway, apologies to the OP for going OT, but S.Coates you should start a thread with pics of your system in the system setup forum - i never tire of seeing chord and would be interested to see your speakers in a real life setting :)

A

Anonymous

In appreciation of everyone's help, just an update on what I decided to buy. Having looked at the Sonnetter Morphesus, Naim and B&O, I have ordered the Meridan DSP 5200 with G96 dvd player and G61 sound controller - at some point I can build a more sophisitcated home cinimea system with these as the basis too, which was an added bonus. All looks and sounds wonderful and unlike the B&O in particlar, doesn't seem to mind what kind of music I want to play, which 99% will be blues and rock n roll. I took 'Elvis Is Back' (Follow That Dream verison with out takes, more songs etc), "King Creole' and BB King's Definitive Greatest Hits' with me, and all, but especially Elvis Is Back, sounds remarkable - the guy in the shop said he didn't quite appreciate how great a vocal range Elvis had until he heard this! As for a music server, still haven't found one besides nothing will match (in looks) the Meridians, so may consider the Mac Mini idea or back to the Olive but for the time being, my cds and dvds will keep me very busy! Again, thank you so much for all the help.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Interesting story, thanks :) Kronos are used by forum member CnoEvil so I wonder whether he's heard them also.

Sorry, only spotting this now.

I haven't heard them, but I believe they have only been in stock for a relatively short time. Might try and get a listen sometime.....though I'm trying to stay away from the temptation in that shop!

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
SusanB said:
In appreciation of everyone's help, just an update on what I decided to buy. Having looked at the Sonnetter Morphesus, Naim and B&O, I have ordered the Meridan DSP 5200 with G96 dvd player and G61 sound controller - at some point I can build a more sophisitcated home cinimea system with these as the basis too, which was an added bonus. All looks and sounds wonderful and unlike the B&O in particlar, doesn't seem to mind what kind of music I want to play, which 99% will be blues and rock n roll. I took 'Elvis Is Back' (Follow That Dream verison with out takes, more songs etc), "King Creole' and BB King's Definitive Greatest Hits' with me, and all, but especially Elvis Is Back, sounds remarkable - the guy in the shop said he didn't quite appreciate how great a vocal range Elvis had until he heard this! As for a music server, still haven't found one besides nothing will match (in looks) the Meridians, so may consider the Mac Mini idea or back to the Olive but for the time being, my cds and dvds will keep me very busy! Again, thank you so much for all the help.

great news ... enjoy

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
moon said:
SusanB said:

great news ... enjoy

Agreed.

Glad you got sorted.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts