New System Help

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I would like a high class, good sounding and looking unobstusive and simple to use sytem which supports recording my cds on a hard drive and then ideally playing locally - streaming stuff all seems a little bit scary. Also, as I live in the Scottish Borders with slow broadband not sure if this would even be viable.

What I'm considering is the following: Meridian Core 200 and DSP3200 and an Olive 4HD. Any better suggestions? My tastes in music are 50s and 60s blues and rock'n'roll.

Many thanks

A

Anonymous

Anyone who can help a young maiden in distress???? Please....

jjbomber

Naim HDX for the Olive 4HD would be the main alternative. That has a 2TB Hard Drive, so should be enough. It may be a case then of Naim amps and suitable speakers. As always, what is best for you may not be best for others, so it's your call. I'm sure that dealers will be accomodating at that price, so arrange a few demos.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Do you already own a computer/laptop?

What's your budget - your suggestions are very expensive, you can put a system together to do what you want it to do for a whole load less money.

If you're interested in keeping box count down something like the following would be a very very good set up at a considerably lower price.

NAS drive, try something like Synology DS212J with 2 * 2TB hard drives - should cost less than £350

AVI ADM9 RS active speakers - £1250

Airport Express or Squeezebox Touch - £80 - £180

If you don't have a computer/laptop then this would give you plenty of budget for a laptop (to do the ripping) and/or an ipad/tablet to use as the controller. If you're desperate to spend more money, you could look at the AVI ADM40 instead of the ADM9.

jjbomber

She's not looking for a PC hard drive system but a high quality stand alone system, hence the Olive 4HD. She said she didn't want a NAS system due to the slow system. She didn't want to spend less money but wanted high quality. But you knew that right?

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
jjbomber said:
She's not looking for a PC hard drive system but a high quality stand alone system, hence the Olive 4HD. She said she didn't want a NAS system due to the slow system. She didn't want to spend less money but wanted high quality. But you knew that right?

Oh OK, you're trying to be clever!

So, where does she say she doesn't want a NAS? Where does she mention a slow system?

She mentions slow broadband, but that wouldn't have any effect on a LAN.

But you knew that, right?

She may not want a NAS, but certainly hasn't said so as yet.

A

Anonymous

Susan,

Guessing you've spent some time looking around as the Olive and particularly the Meridian combination isn't something you'd happen to bump into by chance! Also living in Scotland, and having lived in the Borders, I would really keep away from streaming and a NAS until the broadband experience improves, so yes, the local hard disk system is a great solution. Unfortunately, not many traditional hi-fi manufactures offer such a component but there are media server alternatives, including the Olive, QAT etc.

The primary options are as follows:

1. Your suggested system, although I personally would have doubts over the Ollve 4HD although I assume you'd use the Meridian DACs. so much less of an issue.

2. Olive does make a so-called 'audiophime model - the 6HD but this is has some strange operation foibles ie the display is at the top of the unit so can't be used in a rack but I'm guessing that's not an issue for you. However, for the same price as that, you could go for the Meriidan Sooloos Control 15, which although expensive at £4750, I'm sure you could get a good deal on the all Meridian system and it is infinitely better than the Olive, also, it has the best interface of any audio product in the world. It does support streaming in addition to ripping, so is future proof if you move or the broadband gets more stable and faster.

3. Although not to everyone's taste looks and sound wise, (but would suit your music tastes, speaking as a huge Elvis and Sun fan myself!), you could look at Naim. The Unitiserve is exactly what you're looking for as a superb ripper - it really makes outstanding recordings. You could team this with the Unitiqute (combined amp, DAC and streamer) or the new UnitiLite (similar but adds a cd player) or other Naim 'all in ones' or separate amps and DAC. In the future, the Qute could be a second system in another room streaming from the Unitiserve. Add speakers from Neat (although, not exactly great looking) Amphion, or B&W 'CM' series or Kef 'R' (all of which do look great!).

4. Another (much cheaper) option is to use something like a Mac Mini, buying a Meridan CD Player if you still would like that option, however, the Mac Mini would again assume absolute sound quality for your money isn't the uttermost concern, although I'm sure there wouldn't be a great deal of difference between that and the Olive 4HD and most things sound great connected to Meridian!

5. Given your requirements, you could look at Sonneteer, notably the Morpheus Music Centre and matching media server. Although priced individually at £2500 each, I'm sure you could get a pretty good package price as I wouldn't think they sell too many! Although lifestyle oriented, they are 'proper' high end hifi and sound great - theyr're hand made in a wide choice of colours. Just add some speakers such as Amphion.

6. There is also the option of using Olive 4HD or 6HD will an amplifier and passive speakers which opens up lots of possibilities. However, if you want to go down the active speaker route, certainly Meridian is the best (if a very expensive) solution - the Core 200 will provide you with all kinds of sophisitcated technology to tailor the sound based upon your room and how you use the DSP3200s. Certainly, I would strong recommend the Meridian combination over AVI, but then I get the feeling one look at the AVis will be enough to put you off!

If you can get to Level in Fife, give Audio Emotion a call - the best hi-fi shop in Scotland, if not the UK. They won't stock Sonneteer or Meridian but will be a great place for some advice and as a starting point, stocking many brands you can't find anywhere else. Enjoy and good luck!

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
S.Coates said:
Also living in Scotland, and having lived in the Borders, I would really keep away from streaming and a NAS until the broadband experience improves, so yes, the local hard disk system is a great solution.

Sorry, am I missing something? What does broadband speed have to do with a NAS (on a LAN or otherwise)?

S.Coates said:
However, if you want to go down the active speaker route, certainly Meridian is the best (if a very expensive) solution

?????????????????

A

Anonymous

The primary issue is of stability - I know from experience that broadband in the Borders is not reliable with frequent drops. Frankly, calling it broadband is a bit of a liberty...

Have no idea what you don't like or understand about my comments re Meridian.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Susan, you might also like to check out the Linn DS/DSM.

Here is a map of the dealer network: http://www.linn.co.uk/buying/findashop

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
S.Coates said:
The primary issue is of stability - I know from experience that broadband in the Borders is not reliable with frequent drops. Frankly, calling it broadband is a bit of a liberty...

Streaming music from a NAS has nothing to do with broadband. Broadband speed/dropouts have no effect on your LAN or WAN. It is not relevant.

S.Coates said:

Just seems like quite a claim that Meridian is certainly the best way to go in terms of active speakers. But then you've made a couple of fairly bold absolute claims in your post.

Seems like Susan is just getting advice to go and spend a fortune. If she wants to just spend a fortune then fair enough, but what she is asking to achieve can be done for a fraction of the cost that the equipment suggested so far will cost.

michael hoy

S.Coates said:

But this has nothing to do with broadband, it would be an internal network (Wireless or wired), the only need for a broadband connection would be for downloading music from the internet.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
michael hoy said:
S.Coates said:

But this has nothing to do with broadband, it would be an internal network (Wireless or wired), the only need for a broadband connection would be for downloading music from the internet.

Phew - thanks Michael, wasn't sure if I was going mad there or not!!!

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
omnibeard said:
michael hoy said:
S.Coates said:

Phew - thanks Michael, wasn't sure if I was going mad there or not!!!

what do you mean going? ;)

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
jjbomber said:
''streamong stuff seems to be a bit scary'' wpuld suggest she does not want a NAS.

It's a case of what Susan wants and asks for, not what you want. You're not a politician; so answer the question.

Good grief, you're quite the intellectual.

The only question Susan asked is "Any better suggestions?".

I answered that question, pointed out that broadband speed should not concern her (a point you seem to have missed or misunderstood), and asked what her budget is.

I suggested something I thought might be better - that's subjective I know, and in this case by better I actually meant a lot cheaper with comparable sound quality. There would be many ways of doing that, my suggestion was just one.

I think we need to hear from Susan as to what she wants/is scared of, and how much money she wants to spend. A NAS connected straight to a streamer or amp/active speakers is a very simple solution. That is why I asked Susan if she already owns a computer.

Dealing in absolutes like "this is definitely the thing to do" is futile and unhelpful.

And how do you know I'm not a politician?

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
A Meridian Sooloos was always something I fancied but the more I looked into it I realise just how expensive it was, compared to other solutions.

The AVI speakers are great (9 or 40), not withstanding how good they sound it's the fact you can add fairly modestly priced sources and have a top system. (DAC,pre & power are all in the speaker).

Sonos would possibly be the best multi room option, but I'd be looking at a Mac Mini + AVIs, just get a SuperDrive to rip your CDs to the hard drive.

The Meridian / Olive seem like one trick ponies.

Is iTunes something you fancy using.

Have you already got a pc for ripping etc. you don't need to move it, just get an Airport Express.

A

Anonymous

Given that Susan thinks streaming is difficult to understand, I doubt she wants to go down the ad-hoc/peer-to-peer network route...which was my point.

Would never recommend AVI active speakers personally...besides, as I said, one look will be enough to put Susan off! Meridan's are finshed several leagues better, plus are signigicantly more sophisticated in terms of tailoring sound parameters etc.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
My ADM40s are superbly finished.

I do like the look of Meridian speakers but you have to admit they have a love it or hate it appeal.

AVI are also investigating gloss white finishes to the 40s, but so far the finish has not match their standards.

A

Anonymous

The Sooloos is incredibly user friendly with an absolutely brilliant interface and whilst it's not cheap, you're buying not just sophisitcated electronics but fantastic support from Meridian and it's dealer network. Their products also have considerable re-sale / trade-in value. Inflexible, it certainly is not -I don't understand the 'one trick pony' reference at all.It makes no sense whatsoever.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
S.Coates said:
Given that Susan thinks streaming is difficult to understand, I doubt she wants to go down the ad-hoc/peer-to-peer network route...which was my point.

Would never recommend AVI active speakers personally...besides, as I said, one look will be enough to put Susan off! Meridan's are finshed several leagues better, plus are signigicantly more sophisticated in terms of tailoring sound parameters etc.

A NAS needs to be no more complicated than plug and play and your point seemed to be very much that broadband speed was in some way connected to NAS performance on a LAN.

There is a huge amount of choice and more than one solution, the most expensive of these not neccessarily being the best. I quite like the iMac (big screen) and active speakers solution, particularly the ADM40s (definitely worth a listen, I feel), although the suggestion that Meridian might be the pinnacle, is probably stretching the imagination somewhat.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts